6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   996 Turbo / GT2 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-turbo-gt2-2/)
-   -   Just bought an '01 996tt (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-turbo-gt2/193861-just-bought-01-996tt.html)

Steve Theodore 12-01-2009 04:38 PM

Congratulations! I didn't fill mine correctly the first try either and ended up with 3/4 tank of gas...didn't even think about it until later when I read the forum for related threads. 90 degree angle works fine for me during refueling, or upside down would work well too.

A good buddy of mine has an M6 and let me drive it. Those cars, although extremely cool, are a completely different experience. You're going to have fun with your new car, particularly after a few mods. :)

Patrnflyr 12-06-2009 01:46 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Ok, here's a couple of pics of my wife's new sleigh that I picked up last night. Now that the M6 is back at the dealer, we have a garage for the 996tt. I'll get on here in a few days to ask some MILD modding questions. Thanks a bunch for your support.

John

ljg335i 12-06-2009 01:55 PM

Nice stable you got yourself. Enjoy modding the 996tt - possibilities (and wallet damage) are endless!

U74sry 12-06-2009 04:44 PM

congratulations!!

CCns23 12-06-2009 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Patrnflyr (Post 2643842)
I'll get on here in a few days to ask some MILD modding questions.

Yeah....mild....that's how it starts hilarious

Patrnflyr 12-20-2009 08:00 AM

Ok, here it goes! I dropped the car off at one of our trusted independent Porsche repair guys here in Lubbock. We also dropped off a "little" bit of stuff that we picked up at Vivid like an Agency Power exhaust, F pipe Diverter valves, new headers, Iridium plugs and an ECU flash that we'll upgrade after everything is in place. We also picked up the carbon airbox with the second snorkel that we'll install in our garage. With everything going on at the holidays and a new granddaughter, I wanted someone else to install this stuff who knew what they were doing:). Will let you know what I think about it when it's finished.

John

BTW, 750Li we've had for 3 weeks and have had no sound (amp problem) and CEL on twice with lean starts. It's been in shop more than out!!!

Ahmet 12-20-2009 08:12 AM

Good choice, nice color also.

aroonkl 12-20-2009 02:34 PM

Congrat. Do you mind sharing any thought about feeling of your m6 and new 996tt? I have 996tt but m6 is very sexy to me too. Thanks.

Originally Posted by Patrnflyr (Post 2634880)
Hello guys, just bought an '01 911 turbo with 47K miles on it. I also own an M6 but am testing the water with the Porsche.

Patrnflyr 12-20-2009 02:49 PM

Don't mind at all. My M6 was an '07 with SMG. It was MINT condition and only 6600 miles. I love BMW, but am not happy with the SMG setup. I went to the "M" driving experience in South Carolina. I was able to RACE M6's, 5's and 3's. The DCT setup in the M3 made me realize how crappy the SMG setup really is. If you spring for one, I'd recommend a manual transmission which is a "no cost" option. Like I said earlier, maybe in 2013 there will be an AWD, metal-roofed cabriolet, and dual clutch tranny, I'd go back immediately. For now, I'm happy with the '01 turbo. We can mod it out in many ways if desired. It turns heads everywhere it goes and my family has had 8 Porsche since the 70's. I wanted to get back into the fold. Plus, I have a new granddaughter and want the car seat in the MIDDLE of the back seat in case of a T boning. This is impossible with the M6. Those airbag curtains can cause a lot of damage and I just feel more comfortable with her in the middle with a little bit of "cushion". Hence, the new 750Li which helps keep me from having withdrawls from the m6. It'll be my wife's daily driver, but I can drive it any time I want. I have a new Hybrid Escalade for my daily driver, though.

To put it bluntly, with the horrific SMG transmission, I don't miss it a bit. Now, ask me when the turbo strands me out on the road and I'm wishing for the SOS button:)

John

Patrnflyr 12-20-2009 03:10 PM

After all this stuff is added and appears to be "stable", I plan on the exterior and handling. We are going to purchase a GT2 add on wing to replace the stock one (not the entire decklid which isn't compatible with the 2-sided snorkel of the carbon fiber intake box). We were getting the wing warning light til my son did the quick fix to stop the light which was taught here on this site. Also, would like to add a new front spoiler or carbon lip. We have alot of chuckholes and dips in our roads around here and don't want to lower the car too much. HRE's and Michelin PS2's, coilovers and swaybars should just about do it for me. I don't need 700hp, etc. At least for now hilarious

John

CCK 12-20-2009 04:29 PM

Welcome

aroonkl 12-20-2009 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Patrnflyr (Post 2660619)
BTW, 750Li we've had for 3 weeks and have had no sound (amp problem) and CEL on twice with lean starts. It's been in shop more than out!!!

Is it new or used?

Patrnflyr 12-20-2009 09:22 PM

It's new (2010)

Patrnflyr 12-22-2009 07:11 PM

Well, my son and an independent Porsche mechanic did the upgrades and all I can say is, "WOW"!! This car is now the fastest thing I've ever driven and all we did was make an ECU upgrade, AP exhaust upgrade, DV's, F pipe, CF intake box and headers. It now feels much faster that the M6 I previously had, but it's always "felt" faster just because of the AWD and turbo kick-in. Now, it's definitely faster. I'll let my son jump in and give his opinion. It's a little louder and has a droning noise at 2.5-2.8K but all I have to do is either upshift or downshift to get around that.

I can't imagine going up HP wise. How do you guys drive these cars on a normal road when they're 600HP+? Ordered a wing from Precision Porsche and will order HRE wheel (P40 brushed) and Michelin PS2's next week. That should do it for me for awhile. I was thinking of coil overs and sway bars, but am afraid it'll make the ride too rough.

John

PS Thanks VIVID!

art4iza 12-22-2009 08:08 PM

Congrats. They are awesome cars.