996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

advice needed. 996TT or 997 Carrera S?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 04:17 AM
Broker404 will become famous soon enoughBroker404 will become famous soon enough
If you were keeping them stock, I might lean towards the 997S. But with the amazing power potential of the 996TT, if you plan on modding and like the idea of well over 500+ HP, then go for the 996TT

Old 12-14-2009, 07:25 AM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Broker404
If you were keeping them stock, I might lean towards the 997S. But with the amazing power potential of the 996TT, if you plan on modding and like the idea of well over 500+ HP, then go for the 996TT
There could be a case made for that logic, but I'd say that over 75% of TT owners buy them to modify them (90%+ if you go by forum members). Turbocharged cars are as much about their tuning potential as they are for their bone stock performance...most of us just want to start with the best foundation and then grow from there. The 997S isn't the best foundation for nearly anything (relative to the TT, GT3, etc.) but is more of a fun and capable car.

PS. I always wave at 997S owners!

Old 12-14-2009, 08:59 AM
myfootsmells is on a distinguished road
alright guys just signed paper work for a TT, deal pending on PPI!

Old 12-14-2009, 09:45 AM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by aroonkl
Landjet,
You nailed it!
BTW: You will have different feeling when some kids in big wings WRX/EVO tailgate you.
Even if he passes me I wouldn't want the WRX.

Old 12-14-2009, 10:37 AM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by myfootsmells
alright guys just signed paper work for a TT, deal pending on PPI!
Smart man...you'll thank us later (but your wallet won't).

Old 12-14-2009, 02:01 PM
awdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by myfootsmells
yeah? what was your name on there? i've been good went with an m3, prius, 545i and now i'm looking at a porsche. you?

michael
it was awdbiturbo from 2003-2006 he changed to ~DonQPremiumTequila~ yeah i am looking for a 996 tt as well. now one qusetion for you.... why exactly does you foot smell?? hahahaha

Old 12-14-2009, 02:22 PM
hollywood996tts has a spectacular aura abouthollywood996tts has a spectacular aura abouthollywood996tts has a spectacular aura about
First p car was a 997CS 05 with sport chrono. Put 400 miles on it and sold it back to dealer for a 996tt after having driven in a buddys 997tt and feeling boost. My wife said the CS had a smiley face and the TT had a angry look about it. Congrats on your tt buy.

Old 12-14-2009, 02:35 PM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
Congrats, enjoy in good health.

Old 12-14-2009, 02:46 PM
MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !
I might be a little late... but let me tell you reasons why you want a 997CS over a 996TT.

Sorry, can't think of one.

Old 12-14-2009, 02:49 PM
The mid-engined layout might be *one* reason why someone would want one. My wife thinks they are cute, so the female market probably likes them a bit too.

Old 12-14-2009, 03:59 PM
911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by landjet
Here's what you have to think about. When you're driving the 997S and a turbo goes by you, will you be thinking "I wish I had bought the turbo". Because I can guaranty you that no turbo owner, when passing a 997S thinks "I wish I was driving a 997S instead of my turbo". Well, maybe a driver with an older turbo does.
This is EXACTLY how I feel. (Hence my ID - I thought I really was going to get a 997S)

Short history of my fir P-car purchase - After I got rid of my M5 I started looking again for a a 2006-2008 997S. Found a few and then started to see the aero kits on them and was waffling on getting one with or without it. I decided it was too much of a 'speed racer' look and relegated myself back to a stock 997S. I found a very nice one locally (2006 C2S, CPO, low miles and less than $50K) and made an appt. to go drive it. It was in great shape, Seal Grey, nice options and come this close to buying it, except... it was ordered with the black instrument gages - something I did not want, so in the end I passed on it.

Funny thing was, and the point to this posting... after driving around the next few days I started thinking that if I was going to spend the money I wanted the car to be a little 'special'. As much as I liked the 997S it didn't feel that distinctive, especially out here in CA. The wide body look of the 996TT was the perfect combo of looks and exclusivity for me. And when I found a white X50 I was sold. I really knew very little about the mods available when I bought the car so that's just an added bonus I'll add over time. Sure the interior in the 997 is nicer but there's something about the rawness of the 996 I like. Maybe it has to do with coming out of a 2008 M5 where everything was 'un-raw' (??).

In the end the look and performance of the 996 TT sold me. Something I heard a long time ago describes it perfectly to me. It's called the "Garage Factor'. When I go out to the garage and see my White 996TT I get excited and thrilled just to look at the car... it's hard to describe but I'm sure others feel the same way about their cars.

Hope this long winded post helps.... in the end both are great cars.

Old 12-14-2009, 04:41 PM
mtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant future
I will just repost this from a conversation I had here last week.....and yeah, I'm a new TT owner myself.

Being my first Porsche, I have no Porsche to compare to but am no stranger to high horsepower cars and I will say flat out it is a whole new level.
Absolutely a class of it's own, especially for a production car.

It is so fast
and yet so visceral, you feel everything the car is doing and everything it's going to do, so many folks don't know what I mean by that but for those who do, there is no comparison. I am no pro driver, but I can hot shoe pretty well and tend to drive very hard when it's safe to do so, I have never "felt" any other car as I do this one.

I am only sorry I did not get one sooner.

I just can't stop grinning!

I'll shut up now, I'm starting to sound sappy. (again)

OH and did I mention the BOOST??
You made the right choice!

Old 12-14-2009, 07:07 PM
vbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by landjet
Here's what you have to think about. When you're driving the 997S and a turbo goes by you, will you be thinking "I wish I had bought the turbo". Because I can guaranty you that no turbo owner, when passing a 997S thinks "I wish I was driving a 997S instead of my turbo". Well, maybe a driver with an older turbo does.
Maybe when i pass a 997s i dont regret buying my 996tt , but Gt3....

I dont think that way when i pass a GT3 (996 or 997), I dont know if its just me or some others here who think 996 turbo is very boring to drive, lacks the character of a NA engine cars like GT3, M3 etc...i think i am ready to make a move back to NA world.

Yes the exhaust makes the car little bit more exciting...but its almost like teleportation for me....just dont feel the car when its point and shoot . In a high reving GT3 motor you feel the excitement build progressively.

If your goal is just sheer speed , there is nothing much out there better than 911 turbo. But of you are looking for a true porsche 911 ...this will be last one to look for.

I personally think you should drive both cars extensively and make up your mind. when it comes to NA porsches GT3 is the car i want.. GT3 is the purest Porsche 911 out there...

Old 12-14-2009, 09:44 PM
Broker404 will become famous soon enoughBroker404 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Steve Theodore
There could be a case made for that logic, but I'd say that over 75% of TT owners buy them to modify them (90%+ if you go by forum members). Turbocharged cars are as much about their tuning potential as they are for their bone stock performance...most of us just want to start with the best foundation and then grow from there. The 997S isn't the best foundation for nearly anything (relative to the TT, GT3, etc.) but is more of a fun and capable car.

PS. I always wave at 997S owners!
I agree... That's why I don't think having an X50 option is worth as much as some sellers think it's worth... maybe a couple grand at best if you already plan on utilizing those K24's to do K24/18g.

Honestly I think most people (non-P car owners) have no idea about the 911 Turbo's tuning potential. I always loved the 996tt ever since I heard about it in 2000, and I started thinking about buying one the past year or two, but before doing research on the forums I really had no idea how easy it is to get it up to 700-800HP. I've always known that turbo cars are easy to tune, especially with just software, but I had no idea that you can easily modify them like you can a TT Supra or something like that. I think that if as many people knew about them, you might see them being in much higher demand and see more people out there going for over 1000 HP. But being a $120-130k new, (and a lot of people are surprised when I tell them you can get one for $40k) there simply isn't as much interest as there would be with a Supra or built Corvette, etc.

Old 12-14-2009, 09:47 PM
80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !
Upgrade to a GT2... The best of both Worlds.. Trust me!!!

Originally Posted by vbmw335
Maybe when i pass a 997s i dont regret buying my 996tt , but Gt3....

I dont think that way when i pass a GT3 (996 or 997), I dont know if its just me or some others here who think 996 turbo is very boring to drive, lacks the character of a NA engine cars like GT3, M3 etc...i think i am ready to make a move back to NA world.

Yes the exhaust makes the car little bit more exciting...but its almost like teleportation for me....just dont feel the car when its point and shoot . In a high reving GT3 motor you feel the excitement build progressively.

If your goal is just sheer speed , there is nothing much out there better than 911 turbo. But of you are looking for a true porsche 911 ...this will be last one to look for.

I personally think you should drive both cars extensively and make up your mind. when it comes to NA porsches GT3 is the car i want.. GT3 is the purest Porsche 911 out there...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: advice needed. 996TT or 997 Carrera S?