996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

battery tender

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 04:27 PM
TurboVR6 has much to be proud ofTurboVR6 has much to be proud ofTurboVR6 has much to be proud ofTurboVR6 has much to be proud ofTurboVR6 has much to be proud ofTurboVR6 has much to be proud ofTurboVR6 has much to be proud ofTurboVR6 has much to be proud of
I love mine

Old 01-06-2010, 05:25 PM
bighead is infamous around these parts
I wrote the following to a friend, with regard to an Italian car, but the advice should be applicable to German vehicles too. :-)

[snip] Then, always, and I mean always, use a battery tender. The "Battery Tender" by Deltran, and sometimes marketed under other names, is intended exactly for this purpose -- to maintain the battery. I've used one on my motorcycles for several years, and my cars as well with no problems. More info can be found here: http://www.batterytender.com/ If you're going to park it for more than a day or two, just plug in the charger and voila.

It comes with two methods of attachment to your battery -- regular alligator clamps (like on jumper cables), or a connector where the ends terminate in metal o-rings (like a washer). Each method connects to the charger through a little plug-together connector. The o-ring connectors, intended for semi-permanent mounting, slip right through the bolts used to attach your terminals to your battery. Then simply tie down the length of the wire, until you have only the other connector poking out into the trunk. Thus, when you're in the garage, pop the lid, snap the two connectors together, and voila! Or buy the cigarette lighter attachment, if your car has a "live" power adapter when the key is out.

Alternatively, one can get a charger that attaches, piggyback style, to the battery (the most popular is manu. by Schumacher, and sometimes marketed as a "factory" charger, e.g. Ferrari); the 120v plug is located inside the car; you just have to connect an extension cord when needed.

Why do I consider the Deltran method better? Well, I'm presuming that the Schumacher is also a computer controlled charger like the Deltran. The primary advantage, in my mind, is that you don't have the charger sitting in the car -- only the wiring. Thus, (a) it's lighter, (b) you can use one
charger for more than one vehicle if you alternate, (c) the wire coming out of the trunk is thinner and you can in fact close the lid with the wire dangling out, if you wanted to do so, you can put the cover over the car, (d) I guess if the car gets stolen, you didn't lose the charger as well, (e) if the circuit breaker (or whatever) inside the Schumacher fails, it melts INSIDE the car, right next to your battery; I'd prefer to have the thing melt down outside my car, not in it!!, and (f), the Deltran is only $30 or $40 on Amazon, versus the $700 the dealer wants for the Ferrari-branded Schumacher.

Oh, should add that the "Jr" version is available on Amazon for $23, with free shipping for orders of $25 and over.
http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-021-0123-Junior-Charger/dp/B000CITK8S

Vty,

--Dennis

Old 01-06-2010, 09:22 PM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
Worth mentioning - before starting the car it might not be a bad idea to pop the bonnet aka hood and VENT it. Paulie found out the hard way that any lead acid battery charging, no matter the charger, creates hydrogen gas. He used a lighter charger, didn't vent, and the hydrogen exploded - it made a mess. A good idea to have the vent tube hooked up too I might add! Gels and sealed aren't supposed to do this but hey venting is free....

Old 01-07-2010, 04:21 AM
gt2rs is a glorious beacon of lightgt2rs is a glorious beacon of lightgt2rs is a glorious beacon of lightgt2rs is a glorious beacon of lightgt2rs is a glorious beacon of light
Good point and if iam not mistaken this problem with hydrogen gas is described in the manual of the charger, and it states that the chargeing should take place in a well ventilated environment.

Originally Posted by BLKMGK
Worth mentioning - before starting the car it might not be a bad idea to pop the bonnet aka hood and VENT it. Paulie found out the hard way that any lead acid battery charging, no matter the charger, creates hydrogen gas. He used a lighter charger, didn't vent, and the hydrogen exploded - it made a mess. A good idea to have the vent tube hooked up too I might add! Gels and sealed aren't supposed to do this but hey venting is free....

Old 01-07-2010, 05:08 PM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
As Paullie found out - they were serious about that recommendation!

Old 01-07-2010, 06:16 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jjbravo
Tender Jr. It's perfect.
Agreed. I've used it on multiple cars for multiple 6+ long overseas deployments. Perfect.

Old 01-07-2010, 06:20 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by robertp
Have been using this brand for 10 years.

This battery tender is what I use for my bike and tractor batteries. I use the Porsche cigarette lighter charger for the turbo and leave it plugged in all the time.

Old 01-07-2010, 06:24 PM
Screamin911 has a spectacular aura aboutScreamin911 has a spectacular aura about
I have a Porsche Techquipment cig lighter charger for my 04 tt. First season using it but it seems to work great!

Old 01-09-2010, 03:48 PM
TurboLove is infamous around these parts
I have used the Porsche Techquipment lighter version for over three years. So far, so good.

Old 01-09-2010, 04:10 PM
TurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond repute
I use the battery tender plus on the TT and the battery tender jr on my
S4. They both work great. The only problem I have had is with the tender plus after a near by lighting strike. The tender plus fried and the jr was fine. They were both on the same circuit. I did get a new replacement at no charge. The jr was able to withstand the power surge with no problems.

Old 01-09-2010, 04:22 PM
a66cobra1 is a splendid one to beholda66cobra1 is a splendid one to beholda66cobra1 is a splendid one to beholda66cobra1 is a splendid one to beholda66cobra1 is a splendid one to beholda66cobra1 is a splendid one to beholda66cobra1 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by WILLIAMHENRY
What kind of battery tender do most have? I have looked at several but don't know enough to decide. Thanks for help
Have used a Battery Tender Junior on all my cars. Even keeps the Vipers alive and they are known for killing batteries in as little as a few days.

Old 01-09-2010, 05:49 PM
robertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud of
I have the battery tender plus. do not know what the diff is between the Jr. an Plus.

Old 01-09-2010, 07:05 PM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
I have used the Porsche tender for several years, never vented before starting and never had any problems. After reading about Paulies experience, when starting recently, I popped the bonnet and let it air out for a few minutes first. I thought better safe than sorry, as that battery explosion looked pretty nasty.

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos
Old 01-09-2010, 08:00 PM
99C2 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by WILLIAMHENRY
Thanks for the advice on battery tender. Do all Porsches switch off lighter socket at shut down? Can I use the lighter socket with the tender on 2003 GT2?
I got mine (Porsche Brand) from http://www.automotion.com/default.asp? and just plug it in till Spring!

The lighter circuit apparently is always hot.

99C2

Last edited by bbywu; 01-09-2010 at 09:52 PM. Reason: removed embedded link to commercial non sponsor
Old 01-11-2010, 04:27 PM
Danyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant future
I use the Porsche tender unit on the TT and a more elaborate device on a truck I use a few weeks a year (no issues almost 4 years now)

Attached Images  

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: battery tender