996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

2005 porsche tt or nissan gt-r

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 09:24 AM
bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mtcraigco
I just can't LOVE the GT-R, no offense but it smaks of wannna-be to me.

Doesn't matter how fast or techno it is, it's not classic, never will be and seems like an entry from the team that knows more about family sedans than it does about performance cars with soul.

IMHO it's an 'also ran"

Just my two cents
Nissan, or I guess to be politically correct Datsun, created one of the greatest sports cars of all time. The 280Z had more soul that most cars on the road today. I mean Lamborghini started as a tractor company and evolved to where it is today so I discrediting their history of creating cars with soul is to completely ignore their past. For anyone who hasn't driven one please find one to drive. Not a dealership test drive with big brother watching but a real 20 plus mile drive where you can put the car through a variety of tests. No it isn't a Porsche but it is extremely impressive for what it is.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:11 AM
vbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant future
I just can't LOVE the GT-R, no offense but it smaks of wannna-be to me.

Doesn't matter how fast or techno it is, it's not classic, never will be and seems like an entry from the team that knows more about family sedans than it does about performance cars with soul.

IMHO it's an 'also ran"

Just my two cents
Its not like a 996tt has a soul of a performance car....To be honest its the most boring soul less car for the price (125k + new).

I dont like the GTR, but that's a personal opinion. GTR is a far better car than 996tt objectively speaking, but its far too disconnected from the driver. I have had the 996tt only for a year and i am so bored already even at 600HP +....I am going back to NA next time around.

Last edited by vbmw335; 01-14-2010 at 10:14 AM.
Old 01-14-2010, 10:27 AM
mtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by bmoores
Nissan, or I guess to be politically correct Datsun, created one of the greatest sports cars of all time. The 280Z had more soul that most cars on the road today. I mean Lamborghini started as a tractor company and evolved to where it is today so I discrediting their history of creating cars with soul is to completely ignore their past. For anyone who hasn't driven one please find one to drive. Not a dealership test drive with big brother watching but a real 20 plus mile drive where you can put the car through a variety of tests. No it isn't a Porsche but it is extremely impressive for what it is.
I'll stand corrected on the 280z, never had one myself but am aware fo thier history. Good point

Originally Posted by vbmw335
Its not like a 996tt has a soul of a performance car....To be honest its the most boring soul less car for the price (125k + new).

I dont like the GTR, but that's a personal opinion. GTR is a far better car than 996tt objectively speaking, but its far too disconnected from the driver. I have had the 996tt only for a year and i am so bored already even at 600HP +....I am going back to NA next time around.
I dunno, mebbe it's because I wanted one since I was like 6, perhaps I'm still on my honey moon with mine.

I'd still take a ton of other exotics over the GT-R though, it's not even on my list.

Like you said, so very personal

Old 01-14-2010, 10:32 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by vbmw335

Wow, feel free to ship me yours since it sucks so bad.......

I don't know what you call soul but other than the interior feel, the TT has more soul than the Lambo's and Mercs of the same generation. And other than exotic cars like the Saleen, FGT, CGT etc. there is nothing over that price range with soul except maybe a GT2 (which oddly enough has the same interior).

Old 01-14-2010, 10:40 AM
bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !
I'll stand corrected on the 280z, never had one myself but am aware fo thier history. Good point

I dunno, mebbe it's because I wanted one since I was like 6, perhaps I'm still on my honey moon with mine.

I'd still take a ton of other exotics over the GT-R though, it's not even on my list.

Like you said, so very personal
First, i'm so glad that there can be civil discussion on this particular subject. Nice to see some maturity and the ability to have a discussion that doesn't turn into WWIII. This has to be one of the most controlled GT-R vs. XXXX threads on the entire internet.

Like someone said earlier there is something about having a car that you turn around to look at as you are walking away from it. I still do that with my turbo and i've had it for a year and a half. Hell less than 10 years ago I had a poster of it over my bed. The same poster now hangs in my garage which is pretty cool IMO. I was a little dissapointed with the car when I got it and I've molded it into what I hoped it would be and I enjoy it thoroughly. From the front fenders back I love the GT-R. The front doesn't do much for me at all but I could live with it (in white). If it came down to an exotic over the GT-R i'd take the Exotic probably 9 times out of 10 as well. But with the GT-R being so "affordable" even brand new it has in some respects reset the expectation of dollars spent to performance expected ratio. There aren't many, if any, exotics that are close in price.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:47 AM
Originally Posted by heavychevy
Wow, feel free to ship me yours since it sucks so bad.......

I don't know what you call soul but other than the interior feel, the TT has more soul than the Lambo's and Mercs of the same generation. And other than exotic cars like the Saleen, FGT, CGT etc. there is nothing over that price range with soul except maybe a GT2 (which oddly enough has the same interior).
Dez,

I have to agree with Vince. When I think of Cars that have "soul" I think Ferrari F40, Challenge Stradale, Carrera GT, LP670 SV, GT2 (moreso the 993 and 996 variations over the 997), and GT3's. I would actually even say the E46 M3 competition package is a car with great "soul." The Black Series from Mercedes are a good example as well and I think the M cars have actually got a little soft in their current forms. I know a number of people have expressed that the 996TT felt a little soft and that isn't something that could be said for any of the cars above. We are certainly lucky to own such great cars that is for sure and I take no shame in owning a car that I would consider a little short on soul but still plenty of fun. Maybe i'll have to try a GT2 next time around

Old 01-14-2010, 11:00 AM
hockey21 will become famous soon enough
If its a long term purchase, 911 twin turbo will look good for 10 years. cant imagine the gt-r getting any compliments 4-5 years from now, or even myself wanting to look at one after 5 years. 911 turbo definetly has timeless desig.

plus, they are both so similar to each other in performance nobody can tell the difference.

i'd go for the 911

Old 01-14-2010, 01:03 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Dez,

I have to agree with Vince. When I think of Cars that have "soul" I think Ferrari F40, Challenge Stradale, Carrera GT, LP670 SV, GT2 (moreso the 993 and 996 variations over the 997), and GT3's. I would actually even say the E46 M3 competition package is a car with great "soul." The Black Series from Mercedes are a good example as well and I think the M cars have actually got a little soft in their current forms. I know a number of people have expressed that the 996TT felt a little soft and that isn't something that could be said for any of the cars above. We are certainly lucky to own such great cars that is for sure and I take no shame in owning a car that I would consider a little short on soul but still plenty of fun. Maybe i'll have to try a GT2 next time around
Black Series Mercedes with "soul" we obviously have very different opinions of soul. I do not call an auto with super numb shifting a car with soul (speed and sex appeal, YES) but not one bit of soul. The best soul about that car is the engine growl.

It's awd, and I don't think many modern AWD cars at all have been considered soulful, because that is mostly tied into the road/steering/handling feel and AWD dumbs all of those down. In that aspect I think it's an apples to oranges comparison.

However titling the entire car as boring is borderline insanity IMO.

Last edited by heavychevy; 01-14-2010 at 01:07 PM.
Old 01-14-2010, 01:12 PM
Originally Posted by heavychevy
Black Series Mercede's with "soul" we obviously have very different opinions of soul. I do not call an auto with super numb shifting a car with soul (speed and sex appeal, YES) but not one bit of soul. The best soul about that car is the engine growl.

It's awd, and I don't think many modern AWD cars at all have been considered soulful, because that is mostly tied into the road/steering/handling feel and AWD dumbs all of those down. In that aspect I think it's an apples to oranges comparison.

However titling the entire car as boring is borderline insanity IMO.
Totally agree on the Black Series Tranny's. Epic dissapointment. I wish the rumors of a programming upgrade had been true but they never materialized.

I agree that titling the entire car boring may be slightly unfair. However, I think each "Performance" Marquee has a few cars that represent a car with "soul" (which by the way i'm starting to feel ridiculous overusing this term ), and as far as Porsche's go I wouldn't consider the turbo even in the Top 3. In fact for me I have a hard time considering a car that isn't Naturally Aspirated soulful (yep, that definitely felt ridiculous). Something about a high revving naturally aspirated motor. I actually said the same thing you did with regards to modern day cars although I don't think it has anything to do with AWD or not. Cars seem to be getting more and more numb as the years go on.

Old 01-14-2010, 01:17 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Totally agree on the Black Series Tranny's. Epic dissapointment. I wish the rumors of a programming upgrade had been true but they never materialized.

I agree that titling the entire car boring may be slightly unfair. However, I think each "Performance" Marquee has a few cars that represent a car with "soul" (which by the way i'm starting to feel ridiculous overusing this term ), and as far as Porsche's go I wouldn't consider the turbo even in the Top 3. In fact for me I have a hard time considering a car that isn't Naturally Aspirated soulful (yep, that definitely felt ridiculous). Something about a high revving naturally aspirated motor. I actually said the same thing you did with regards to modern day cars although I don't think it has anything to do with AWD or not. Cars seem to be getting more and more numb as the years go on.

You guys need to get back in a big block Chevelle for a week, with no Power Steering or Power brakes!!!

Old 01-14-2010, 01:20 PM
I've you know of any late 60's Camaro's or Mustangs at a good price let me know Coakley!

Old 01-14-2010, 01:22 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
I've you know of any late 60's Camaro's or Mustangs at a good price let me know Coakley!

Sold my twin turbo camaro. Call Dave...(flash68) not sure what a good price is? It's all relative...

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...tigo-sale.html

Old 01-14-2010, 01:24 PM
Hahaha, I'm sure thats a good price for that car. I'm looking for a car I can put a little TLC into.

To the OP: Sorry for the extreme threadjack!!

Old 01-14-2010, 01:42 PM
vbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant future
Dez,

+1

Dez , i disagree with you on this one. E46 M3 ,F430, 360 modena (1999) ,996 gt3( 2002) Gallardo (borderline since its awd) all have much more soul and character than a 996tt. It took me a while to realize this , i guess this is what happens to most of us as our taste matures when it comes to cars. For me its not all about straight line speed, high hp etc..i think i had my fix. The car i dream about now is a mid engine Ferrari ...nothing like it, super sharp feedback, very light and highly responsive high revving v8 engine with F1. Just too good to compare to plain 996tt. Modern Ferraris 360 onwards are low on maintenance and very reliable. I dont drive my car daily, when i drive it once or twice a week , i drive it very hard and would like the best sound and feedback from the car. IMO 996tt is a bit numb and the 7k rpm is not enough. Overall , i think i am done with turbo cars. GT3 is probably the only Porsche under 140k that compares to italian exotics that offer a visceral driving experience.

996tt is the greatest GT car. When you look objectively 911 turbo is better than most Italian exotics in almost all areas, but doesn't raise emotions and lacks that connection like the Italian cars.The greatest sports car (GT3, 360 challenge,f430 scuderia etc...fall in that category IMO.

I went from many 3 series BMW's to E46M3 (best soul so far), then to a numb 335i( fast but no soul) to a 996tt..( same here fast but no soul).....now its time to go gt3 or a mid engine high revving Italian car. It off course costs more, but will be worth it when i get one, till then i have some generous friends who let me experience these cars.

Last edited by vbmw335; 01-14-2010 at 01:59 PM.
Old 01-14-2010, 01:57 PM
BOOMER7 is on a distinguished road
When I bought my Gallardo a year back, I also drove a Ferrari 430 for a few days and liked the feel and look of the the G over the F

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2005 porsche tt or nissan gt-r