996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

2005 porsche tt or nissan gt-r

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 03:56 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by e8_pack
Tranny issues put me off the GTR along with £400 oil changes every 6 months or 6k miles, void warranty of you use the LC which is the only way you can achieve the quoted 0-60.

I also wanted a Porsche since being a little kid so the chance to buy one has been a dream come true. Besides, no-one thinks you're a ****** in a Nissan, only the Porsche can give you that title, so that's worth the money on it's own.
Wait - someone told you that the trans fluid had to be changed every 6,000 miles or 6 months?

Please tell me you knew this wasn't accurate.

And you are highly encouraged to use launch control, there is no warranty voiding with the use of it.

Shame. I hope you didn't forward this misinformation to anyone else.

Old 02-01-2014, 04:09 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by hockey21
... cant imagine the gt-r getting any compliments 4-5 years from now,...
I'll help you - everyday.

Old 02-01-2014, 04:45 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
I've said similar things about going straight.

It takes the exact same effort to run a 1/4 mile in a GT-R than it does running 991 Turbo S.

Going straight for several seconds takes little effort for anyone in practically any car.

Are we comparing drag racing or actual driving? Because one requires a monkey, the other requires a driver.

As for the individual who paid someone to work on a car for two years, that was either consensual R&D, or a really bad shop. Turn around for an 8sec street trim, full interior GT-R is only a month or so (sometimes less, depending on the shop).

Are we now comparing aftermarket GT-R's to 'Vettes or 996TT?

Can we please stick to a given subject?
It's still a robot car no matter who else makes one. And still does more for the driver than any Porsche will in spite of newer Porsches having similar systems on them. No one is talking about the 991 turbo s though so that point is irrelevant.

like I said any ******** can go fast in a gtr in a straight line or on a track.

The aftermarket gtr doesn't do any more for the driver than the factory one. Stop deflecting.

Old 02-01-2014, 05:29 PM
Banned
2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future
Just curious what did the OP decided to get?

Old 02-01-2014, 06:52 PM
machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 2swoosh
He went with the turbo S but has since sold it and gone with a Lambo!

Old 02-01-2014, 07:10 PM
BOOMER7 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 2swoosh

WOW... old thread i bought this back in 2010 MARCH
bought this with 12k for miles rare 2005 turbo S cabriolet.
sold a year and half later for more than i bought it for (first time ever) i paid 68k 4 it but i did not DD drive it only put 5k for miles on it in 18 months

great car and lot's of fun.... GTR is still in play as i've always wanted one. it's pretty AMAZING how well both of these cars have retained value over the last 4 years (when thread was started)
selling my PANAMERA turbo now
check it out!! great car.... best 4 door i've ever owned

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...urbo-sale.html

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	BIGDADDY.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	328289  

Last edited by BOOMER7; 02-01-2014 at 07:20 PM.
Old 02-02-2014, 01:49 AM
e8_pack is a jewel in the roughe8_pack is a jewel in the roughe8_pack is a jewel in the roughe8_pack is a jewel in the rough
Wait - someone told you that the trans fluid had to be changed every 6,000 miles or 6 months?

Please tell me you knew this wasn't accurate.

And you are highly encouraged to use launch control, there is no warranty voiding with the use of it.

Shame. I hope you didn't forward this misinformation to anyone else.
You are joking right? Ok, lets not play with semantics.

VDC/LC call it what you will, the damage has already been done to buyers like me - when i see class action law suits over this very same topic then there has to be a grain of truth in there somewhere. To cut it short, there has been well documented transmission failures at this price point so my money went elsewhere, i didn't want to run that risk on a second/third hand car out of warranty with potential catastrophic transmission issues over a button on the dashboard.

The 2009 owners manual says if you switch VDC off then it voids warranty - sure they've upgraded the software since then, you might not even call it lauch control, but the fact remains, if you turn it off, you can damage your drive train and void your warranty - i don't like buttons on the dash that do that.

http://www.gtrlife.com/forums/topic/...e-the-vdc-off/

http://www.exoticsandluxury.com/warr...-warranty-safe

http://jalopnik.com/5565919/this-is-...ty-settlement/

Oil changes

From the manual!:

They are every 6 months. So for a 2009 bought in 2013, we are looking at the schedule from 48 months onwards (taken from Litchfield, an indy):

48 month service: £438.35 (pounds not dollars)
54 month service: £475.38
60 month service: £632.26

Or did you think i should just start from a 6 month service seeing as i'd have just bought it? Ok, "transmission" is every 18 months according to the Litchfield schedule, but i looked at the price of the oil and i nearly fell through the floor. The maintenance schedule is costly, so again "at this price point" i don't like the thought of these expensive running costs.

http://www.litchfieldimports.co.uk/C..._and_costs.pdf

I'm sure you don't agree with any of this, but the fact is, i read all these reports, looked at the costs and made my decision. Maybe things have changed since last year when i was looking at 09 models, but i tend to look at 09 servicing for 09 cars and the problems around that model year. Maybe you're looking at 2013 schedules for your car, which is another worry when i'm buying an older car.

Maybe i should start servicing my 996 from the 991 manual...

Actually, from the 2013 manual:

And most worrying, which was the clincher for me - spaces for new gearboxes, hmm, 20k a pop and there's an expectation here from Nissan themselves:

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	gtrmaintschedule_zpse5f5b67a.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	328353   Click image for larger version

Name:	gtroilchanges_zps1b70f203.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	328354   Click image for larger version

Name:	gtrdiffoilchange_zps2e377df8.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	328355   Click image for larger version

Name:	gtrtrannyreplacement_zps9dee40eb.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	328356  

Last edited by e8_pack; 02-02-2014 at 03:48 AM.
Old 02-02-2014, 08:56 AM
Please reread the manual - and examine those temp ranges and types of fluid again.

If you need help, let me know. It seems your logic for interpreting is a little off.

Trans oil and engine oil are two different things. Normal driving and track driving are two different things. Perhaps you should use common sense, and not make such silly statements.

The class action had nothing to do with the UK cars. And the launch control issue was resolved prior to your first post, and is a moot point, since there are no more concerns.

And you can't launch in VDC-off anymore. So I'm not playing semantics. It is impossible (Unless you've cracked the ECU, and if you have, let us know how you did this).

Please stop spreading misinformation.

Trans fluid interval for normal (non-track) use on the 2009 GT-R is 18,000 miles. If your temps reach 284+degF while driving everyday, I want to move where you are.

You posted the ENGINE oil change interval, and then somehow magically applied that to the transmission oil schedule. It seems as these topics are confusing to some, and may need help explaining. In the 'States, it was required that the GM (or dealer principal) explained these in detail.

Because I can read, I can help you understand further.

Old 02-02-2014, 09:05 AM
Originally Posted by heavychevy
It's still a robot car no matter who else makes one. And still does more for the driver than any Porsche will in spite of newer Porsches having similar systems on them. No one is talking about the 991 turbo s though so that point is irrelevant.

like I said any ******** can go fast in a gtr in a straight line or on a track.

The aftermarket gtr doesn't do any more for the driver than the factory one. Stop deflecting.
Fair enough, I only mentioned the 991, because there are more technology controls in that than in the GT-R.

I've already agreed that it takes almost no talent to step on the accelerator and drive straight (either in a GT-R, or 996Turbo w/Tip).

I have not made any statement regarding the aftermarket doing anything for the driver. Not sure what you're referring to. My only statement regarding aftermarket was in response to the transmission required for 1000HP+ builds. Being as that is an ENTIRELY different subject (hell, entire industries are built on that premise), and all of that technology came out AFTER this thread was started, it was a little off-base.

Old 02-02-2014, 09:38 AM
Wealth Manager Is a GOD !Wealth Manager Is a GOD !Wealth Manager Is a GOD !Wealth Manager Is a GOD !Wealth Manager Is a GOD !Wealth Manager Is a GOD !Wealth Manager Is a GOD !Wealth Manager Is a GOD !Wealth Manager Is a GOD !Wealth Manager Is a GOD !Wealth Manager Is a GOD !
Fair enough, I only mentioned the 991, because there are more technology controls in that than in the GT-R.

I've already agreed that it takes almost no talent to step on the accelerator and drive straight (either in a GT-R, or 996Turbo w/Tip).

I have not made any statement regarding the aftermarket doing anything for the driver. Not sure what you're referring to. My only statement regarding aftermarket was in response to the transmission required for 1000HP+ builds. Being as that is an ENTIRELY different subject (hell, entire industries are built on that premise), and all of that technology came out AFTER this thread was started, it was a little off-base.

What car do you personally own? Gtr? Porsche?

Old 02-03-2014, 11:33 AM
CTDan has a reputation beyond reputeCTDan has a reputation beyond reputeCTDan has a reputation beyond reputeCTDan has a reputation beyond reputeCTDan has a reputation beyond reputeCTDan has a reputation beyond reputeCTDan has a reputation beyond reputeCTDan has a reputation beyond reputeCTDan has a reputation beyond reputeCTDan has a reputation beyond reputeCTDan has a reputation beyond repute
I see a GTR in Kansas City on Hwy 152 (North of the river) pretty often.
Anyone from the forum?
Nice looking car.