996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Spark plug change question....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 11:10 AM
timf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud of
Spark plug change question....

Just getting ready to change the plugs and coils on my TT - I'm fairly handy with a wrench and enjoy mechanical stuff.

So I figure this job is within my capabilities - then I read a horror story about how hard the job is on a 997TT.

Question - is the 997TT really that much more difficult / harder than a 996TT ?

Just interested and checking I've made the right decision.... Hate to get half way thru' then have to abort.....

Old 02-10-2010, 12:03 PM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
I removed my rear bumper for easier access. It's not difficult just time consuming.

Old 02-10-2010, 02:55 PM
xc17pilot is infamous around these parts
Following the step by step directions posted on this forum and renntech.org made this very straight forward. Took about 3 hours and it was my first time as well. Have someone help you with the bumper removal to avoid scratching it. Clean out the intercoolers, had some twigs and leafs in there and don't forget to reconnect the license plate connector on the bumper when reassemblying

Good luck.

Old 02-10-2010, 03:01 PM
TurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond repute
Just finished doing mine for the first time. Really easy job, just follow the write ups or shop manual.

Old 02-10-2010, 03:18 PM
jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !
Good job.
Now pull the front bumper and pull the leaves and cig butts out of the radiators...

Old 02-10-2010, 03:24 PM
PAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to all
How hard is it to pull the front bumper?

Old 02-10-2010, 03:30 PM
timf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud of
thanks....

Hey guys,

thanks for the tips and encouragement - looks like I'm up for it this weekend, who knows could lead to a turbo upgrade at some point :-)

The 997 must be substantially more difficult going by the comments here and on the 997 forum....

Old 02-10-2010, 05:46 PM
TurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond repute
My rads were full of leaves too. Again easy job to do. Check out renntech for step by step. Even has a video of the bumper removal.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index...howtopic=14957

Old 02-10-2010, 07:33 PM
CarreraMark is infamous around these parts
i did this a few years ago. You can save a lot of money with the DIY but for me, this was a pretty demanding DIY .

It probably goes without saying but it is a lot easier if it is on a lift but you need jack stands for sure! Here is what I recall. 1) You need the tools that it says in the DIY (e.g. you cant get away with using a 3" ratchet extension when it calls for a 2"), 2) The bumper removal / reinstall is really simple. 3) Make sure you get the spark plug wires / coils back on correctly (trust me on this!); 4) You need a good light!; 5) Be prepared for some bloody knuckles.

Old 04-15-2010, 12:07 PM
Kevganzon is infamous around these parts
i'm up for a 30K mi service on a 996TT and need to clean the radiator, intercoolers, cabin filter, spark plugs. Is changing the coils necessary on a car with 30K mi?

Old 04-15-2010, 12:18 PM
maybe.....

My TT was suffering from a slight mis-fire under WOT at 4000rpm - the engine had done just under 30,000 miles, 15000 of which with a GIAC flash.

Changing the plugs fixed the problem but while I was at it I changed the coils as well. Probably not required, but while it seemed like good insurance.

Old 04-15-2010, 12:26 PM
Are coils commonly replaced with spark plugs? what if i get iridium spark plugs that last longer?

Old 04-16-2010, 02:42 PM
Former Vendor
Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Kevganzon
Are coils commonly replaced with spark plugs? what if i get iridium spark plugs that last longer?
We do a visual inspection on coils on every car we change plugs on. I have seen ~20 or so coil failures on 996's, all but 1 coil was cracked on the plastic section under the rubber boot.

Pull the boots off and look careful for cracks. Replace any coils with any signs of cracking.

Iridium plugs will last marginally longer then others...in most cases not worth the additional cost.

Old 04-17-2010, 01:37 PM
Originally Posted by Tony@epl
We do a visual inspection on coils on every car we change plugs on. I have seen ~20 or so coil failures on 996's, all but 1 coil was cracked on the plastic section under the rubber boot.

Pull the boots off and look careful for cracks. Replace any coils with any signs of cracking.

Iridium plugs will last marginally longer then others...in most cases not worth the additional cost.
Why do the boots of the coils crack often? is it because of the heat?

Your right [about spark plugs] if I were to do myself although the cost of replacing them by a dealer or shop every 30K mi costs more in the long run.

Old 04-18-2010, 09:55 AM
Chuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond repute
Loren (RennTech) and I changed out the plugs on the TT, and he didn't even put it all the way up on jack stands....just jacked up and put stands under the rear and took off the tires. It was about a four hour job IIRC. Guys who have done it before can get it down to about three hours. My indie said that the flat rate manual shows around 5 hours but that they can do it in 3.5 on a lift. Actually, in all reality they probably can do it in less than 3.5 since they've done it so many times. It's a great money maker for the dealerships who enhance the "mystique" of the process.

ARD: How long did it take you???

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Spark plug change question....