996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

light weight pulley

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 09:52 AM
timf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud of
Actual benefit is

calculated to be <1HP but only in the lower gears where the rate of change of RPM is greatest. In the higher gears where rate of change of RPM is much much slower no significant benefit at all.

I can provide calcs to prove the point - however consider this thought experiment.

How can a 1/4HP electric motor on a grind wheel accelerate from 0 to 6000RPM in <1seconds with its heavy grind wheel attached ?

Thus removing a few lb's of weight from a crank pulley when compared to all the other rotating masses is going to have a miniscule effect.

Removing weight from a crank pulley is much more significant on light weight high revving vehicles.

Old 03-15-2010, 09:59 AM
contigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant future
Timf so your point is that it is worth installing on our cars? From what I deduct the car might rev a tad faster? or not at all? We are not going to get more HP but get there faster....?

Old 03-15-2010, 10:02 AM
Basic Sponsor
Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by contigo
Tks
So what is the actual benefit if any? Anything one can notice at all?
We saw an increase at the wheels of around 8-10hp. That was not calculated on paper, it was recorded on a dyno. The increase in power is due to the smaller diameter (underdrive) of the pulley as well as the decreased weight. Once again though, the original reason for doing the pulley was to eliminate the "backing off" issue that we were dealing with on our high HP builds. The added power that we found was just a pleasant surprise.

F: 480.317.9901
E: info@evoms.com
Home of the Worlds Fastest 997TT Porsche(s)
997TT Standing Mile = 234.6 MPH
997TT Standing 1/2 Mile = 217.09 MPH
Fastest 1/4 Mile = 9.29 @ 172.7 MPH
60-130 MPH Time = 3.28 Seconds

Last edited by Evolution MotorSports; 03-15-2010 at 10:22 AM.
Old 03-15-2010, 10:09 AM
ukgt2 is a splendid one to beholdukgt2 is a splendid one to beholdukgt2 is a splendid one to beholdukgt2 is a splendid one to beholdukgt2 is a splendid one to beholdukgt2 is a splendid one to beholdukgt2 is a splendid one to behold
Are there any other benifits as allowing the engine to rev more freely?

Old 03-15-2010, 10:15 AM
Basic Sponsor
Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ukgt2
Are there any other benifits as allowing the engine to rev more freely?
Yes it revs quicker. Nothing too huge but better is better. (I hope that answeres the question)

Old 03-15-2010, 10:17 AM
contigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant future
Sent an e mail to Rodd please ask him to reply please

Old 03-15-2010, 11:17 AM
timf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud of
Calculations and other stuff.....

A couple of points

A typical shop dyno has a measurement uncertainty much greater run to run greater than the calculated gain available from just a lightened pulley - see below.

The formula is I=(.5)(m)(r)^2, where "m" is mass in Kg and "r" is pulley radius in meters.

Now add this, a formula for horsepower required to accelerate a rotating mass:

P=(1/746)(1/s)(.5)(I)(omega^2),

where "746" is a unit conversion constant for watts to horsepower, "s" is seconds of time, "I" is inertia, and omega is engine speed in radians/second.

Combine the two equations and you get

Horsepower=(.25)(1/746)(m)(r^2)(omega^2)(1/s).

Plug-in some numbers for say 0-40 MPH. I choose 40 MPH to simplify the calculation by not considering gear changes.

Starting in 1st gear, it is running wide-open throttle, and it needs say 2 seconds to accelerate to 40. The radius of the crankshaft pulley is say 7.5cm. A weight of 4 pounds equates to a mass of 1.8 Kg. At 40 MPH the engine is turning about 6000 RPM, and this gives an omega of 628 rads/sec.

Crunching the numbers gives a result of just .7 HP. Insignificant. This is in 1st gear, in higher gears the gain is even less.

Under drive accessory pulleys do reduce parasitic drag, but I doubt they consume 7.5kW or there abouts - more likely 4-5 HP but again within the measurement uncertainty of a typical shop dyno.

Bottom line - dyno runs are not proof of anything, just a marketing tool

Dyno's are good for tuning on the fly but not for making absolute measurements.

FYI I used to work in Formula 1 with air conditioned engine test cells and we could never manage better than 5% repeatability (no transmission in place which cause variable losses)

Originally Posted by Evolution MotorSports
We saw an increase at the wheels of around 8-10hp. That was not calculated on paper, it was recorded on a dyno. The increase in power is due to the smaller diameter (underdrive) of the pulley as well as the decreased weight. Once again though, the original reason for doing the pulley was to eliminate the "backing off" issue that we were dealing with on our high HP builds. The added power that we found was just a pleasant surprise.

Old 03-15-2010, 01:26 PM
ukgt2 is a splendid one to beholdukgt2 is a splendid one to beholdukgt2 is a splendid one to beholdukgt2 is a splendid one to beholdukgt2 is a splendid one to beholdukgt2 is a splendid one to beholdukgt2 is a splendid one to behold
Yes it revs quicker. Nothing too huge but better is better. (I hope that answeres the question)
It does indeed, Thanks.

Old 03-15-2010, 02:58 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
anyone with LWFW's run these? Feedback?

Old 03-15-2010, 03:31 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
You are correct about gaining hp due to the under drive. We are figuring about 3 hp gain with a better response. What we are really looking for is the response. We lightened, pistons, rods, crank, pulley and clutch/flywheel. The complete rotating mass.

The members need to be aware that underdrive means exactly what it says. You will be underdriving everything the belt/pulley operates.

Last edited by cjv; 03-15-2010 at 03:39 PM.
Old 03-15-2010, 03:43 PM
audikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Prche951
anyone with LWFW's run these? Feedback?
I run the RS pulley with my Aaco lwfw
Its smaller/lighter then stock

Old 03-15-2010, 06:26 PM
Former Vendor
AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !
We just installed the EVOMS Lightweight UnderDrive Crank Pulley today for a customer of ours.. If I wasnt so tied up today I would have been able to take more detailed pics.. Ill be doing the same install on my GT3 and will take some more detailed photos..

I can tell you this.. The crank pulley fitment is SPOT ON.. The larger dowel is definitely a better design and the replacement bolt it comes with is very smart as well.. Its smaller and comes with the proper belt so its an underdrive pulley which means MORE HP.. How significant in a car that makes 600 or 700 Hp?? Thats hard to answer but any more HP without more boost along with being a stronger setup is a BONUS to me.. Below are some pictures of what i am referring to as far as the dowel, size of pulley etc..

Old 03-16-2010, 02:11 PM
Basic Sponsor
Good stuff, thanks guys.

Old 03-16-2010, 05:54 PM
alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !
so for a stock 996tt tiptronic this will be any good ?!

Old 12-07-2010, 10:28 AM
bad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by alex55
so for a stock 996tt tiptronic this will be any good ?!
I would also like to know...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: light weight pulley