996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Need new tires and some advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 06:46 AM
fdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud of
Gingerman and it was hot out. I was running the car hard (but my car was bone stock). They might have been defective (it was all, not just one), Here are the other tires (less then 4000 miles on them): The sumi's don't take the heat very well and the give up when you run them hard. Above all that, they never felt to like they were going to grip (even if they did) which just does not inspire much confidence - especially since I am a novice, at best.

I have to agree with buddyg. I am currently running Yokohama's on the street and track but plan on getting dedicated track tires soon. It is not the place to skimp imo
Originally Posted by buddyg
Your tires are what connects you to the road, puts down the power and decides how fast you can corner. Kind of important and I would not skimp and try to save a few bucks. Get a proven tire that is reliable and durable. The Michelin Pilot, Pirelli, Bridgestone, Continental.

Originally Posted by 2muchtime
what track were you on? lenght of time? dead heat of summer? just curious, I'm running Sumi's (came on the car, guessing 5k miles on them based on DOT dates and carfax mileage reports) tracked twice and amazing even thread wear, no chunks missing? possibly yours were defective? for the price I think they are a great novice tire especially as you add components like suspension and hp to the car and have new learning curves, once perfected then agreed move up but for the price, only burning money

Last edited by fdorn; 05-25-2010 at 07:01 AM.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:52 AM
fdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud of
When it comes to tires and rims, I always use Damon. He has always been extremely helpful. After the sumi's, I purchased winter tires and rims and the Yoko's I am running and plan on getting track rims and tires from him also. He is a must contact when it comes to tires (and rims). Just wanted to be clear about that.

[quote=damon@tirerack;2851251]Do NOT put drag tires a car for regular driving unless you want to throw the cornering performance out the window. These tires are designed to "twist" under the torque of acceleration.

Please give me a call if you have questions.[/quo

Last edited by fdorn; 05-25-2010 at 09:02 AM.
Old 05-25-2010, 11:03 AM
ColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Mulholland996TT
Wonder if the Kumho Ecsta XS would be any good??

I've been running with the Kumho XS for the last few weeks now. Great dry grip. If it's cold outside and wet, I really make a point to leave the TC on as they will get sideways quick if they're not warmed up and in wet conditions.

Have the 315/30/18 rear on 11s and 235/40/18 ft on 8.5s.

Old 05-25-2010, 11:48 AM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 2muchtime
what track were you on? lenght of time? dead heat of summer? just curious, I'm running Sumi's (came on the car, guessing 5k miles on them based on DOT dates and carfax mileage reports) tracked twice and amazing even thread wear, no chunks missing? possibly yours were defective? for the price I think they are a great novice tire especially as you add components like suspension and hp to the car and have new learning curves, once perfected then agreed move up but for the price, only burning money
I had no issues with 2 days of DE on the sumis.... Like any street tire, brand new there is a lot of tread there...as they wear down, they get better and better (shaving).... Anyway, got 12k and 6 track days out of my last set in the rear. Fronts are still over 60%...

Jeff

Old 05-25-2010, 12:52 PM
007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of
I dont know how you guys keep your tires so long? These tires have only lasted me 6 weeks! They still have another 2 weeks in them at most. I do drive alot but I dont burn out all the time so I dont know why they wear down so quick. I want something sticker since these dont seem to grip well for the power level I have. I notice it on launching when the car feels like its going to loose control and fly into the wall and also on the mid to top of third gear where the car feels kind of disconnected from the road. I feel like this is one big factor that is screwing up my 60-130 times. I just want good grip without breaking something. I will for sure go to the GT2 setup.