996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

The Truth About Break In Period

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 01:23 PM
ZBOSS is a glorious beacon of lightZBOSS is a glorious beacon of lightZBOSS is a glorious beacon of lightZBOSS is a glorious beacon of lightZBOSS is a glorious beacon of lightZBOSS is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by PAULIEWALNUTS
He is asking about a Mercedes not a PORSCHE.
O NOOOOO, hes talking about a mercedes on a porsche forum!
He just mentioned the MB, he's more or less trying to get the opinion of fellow car enthusiasts.

Old 08-01-2010, 01:35 PM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ZBOSS
He just mentioned the MB, he's more or less trying to get the opinion of fellow car enthusiasts.

Just ignore Paulie Allnuts

Old 08-01-2010, 01:41 PM
PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ZBOSS
Nooooo jizsu asks everyone about everything & then does the exact opposite. It gets old,just ask some of the tuners.

Old 08-01-2010, 02:30 PM
willieboy is a jewel in the roughwillieboy is a jewel in the roughwillieboy is a jewel in the rough
The engineers at BMW say to vary the RPM's as much as possible for the first 600 miles without using the redline and with no full throttle acceleration with exception of the M cars. Then they say 1200 miles. I think this makes sense as it works the engine in many different ranges as well as the other parts of the drivetrain. Just my two cents. I sure hope the original owner of my 996TT was kind for a little while anyway

Old 08-01-2010, 03:07 PM
DERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of light
well i built race motors for 25 years + dynoed most all of them, warm up, 2 pulls to 5000, 2 easy pulls to 6500... change oil,check valves,jet, ect, warm up..next pull goes to 100 rpm over redline under max load. On my sprintcar/cup stuff that would be 12,000 +/- its either gunna break or its not, and that way if it fails its in house and fixed before it ever goes out the door.

Now thats just the motor, the rest of the drive train ??? a bit easy for a whlie.

Old 08-01-2010, 04:51 PM
emadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond repute
One thing to avoid is driving the car without changing rpms and load. If you are on the highway don't let it go at 2k rpm in a steady state for long distances. Change gears and possibly vary the load.

Old 08-01-2010, 05:53 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
While I have never been crazy enough to buy a car new, I have bought plenty of bikes new (6 bikes I think). I recall the only one I ever broke in per Suzuki's guidelines, was a pig. When it comes to break in, my rules are: Don't bring it to redline within the first 100-200 miles and vary your RPM's (don't drive at a consistant rpm for more than a few seconds or so) for the first 500 without loading it too much, (ie... driving up a hill in 6th at 2000rpm). Other than these 2 rules, I have broken in my bikes the way I am going to ride them and all but the one have been very fast bikes in stock condition, as compared to friends with the same bike.

Old 08-01-2010, 06:58 PM
robertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud of
Change the oil during the break in period. I have an 04 S600 (twin turbo V12) and I changed the oil twice over a 2000 mile break in period.

Old 08-01-2010, 07:03 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
+1... Absolutely a good idea to change the oil a couple times during breakin...

Old 08-01-2010, 07:47 PM
NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !
This much I can promise you.... When I test drove the c63 (or any other car) I did not follow break in guidelines. I took it home and put on a hellish 50 or so miles before turning it back in. I wonder if the new owner is following guidelines now? Kinda too late?

When MB gives me a new car loaner when a car is in service. I drive it like its my own (post break in)

Old 08-04-2010, 09:37 AM
Troy Jollimore is infamous around these parts
I'll second ttboost's comment. Constantly vary the rpms for the first 500-750 miles, and don't over-rev.

When I rebuilt my Talon's motor with Total Seal rings, I used a 'race break-in' procedure. Start it up, rev it to 6000rpms and hold it there for 20 minutes. It worked well enough, but 5000 miles later one of the cylinders showed low compression due to rings, although it still ran strong. I didn't think that 'race' cars are usually torn down and rebuilt several times over those many miles.

Old 08-04-2010, 11:49 AM
anothervr6kid is infamous around these parts
When I got my new bike I let it warm up in the morning and rode it hard. i never had an issue with it.

Old 08-04-2010, 12:07 PM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Just got my tune from Jerry at Eurocharged today....530 miles, still staying under 6K RPM. Can't wait to next week, maybe I will take her to the drags then.

Old 08-04-2010, 03:18 PM
TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !
What's the chip add? It's so funny how adamant you are that your aren't going to modify it beyond a chip. I bet it's inside 3 months before you get and exhaust or something else.

Old 08-04-2010, 03:28 PM
.....especially after the trip to the drag strip and gets his a$$ kicked by an STi...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: The Truth About Break In Period