996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

help please....jacking the rear

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-14-2005, 02:53 PM
2kuhl is on a distinguished road
Unhappy help please....jacking the rear

I have seen this addressed in the archives, but a few things not exactly clear. I'm pretty nervous about doing this right and not hurting the car or myself!

I want to get the rear of the car on stands so I can change the exhaust.

Where exactly do you place the jack in the center of the rear in order to lift and place 2 jack stands at the rear jacking points? I've seen both on the cross member and on the engine itself. Anyone with pics of the jack placement?

Also, anyone have trouble with jackstands that have the "U" shaped top on them? Will this be ok under the jacking point or do I need stands with a flat top? Piece of wood between the car and the stand?

Do you guys just jack the rear, or do you put all four corners on stands for this type of work?

Sorry if beating an old subject, but this is the first time for me with this car and these tools and I respect all your experience and learning!

Old 02-14-2005, 03:11 PM
john stephanus is on a distinguished road
I use a rubber pad that is part of the floor jack against the bottom of the tranny. Seems to work just fine. I put my jack stands under the crossmember.

I would jack just the rear.

Old 02-14-2005, 03:24 PM
Porsche Tech is just really nicePorsche Tech is just really nicePorsche Tech is just really nicePorsche Tech is just really nice
If you're doing this at home make sure you are on level ground with the car in gear (e-brake irrelevant as the parking brake shoes are in the rear discs) Find a short piece of soft 2x4 and put it on the floor jack plate. You can jack the car up with the floor jack/2x4 at the bottom of the engine case either just fore or aft of the oil drain plug. Make certain it's centered. When it's up high enough place the jack stands (use the ones with the smallest foot print) on the jacking points (just east and west of the rear plastic rocker panels). They are roundish male protrusions that are surrounded by plastic panneling. If there is truly any question as to do you have the correct jack point just stop and get further clarrification but it's pretty streight foreward. When placing the stands move them into position with your hand BELOW the point that will make contact with the chasis as the floor jack at this point is the only thing holding the rear of the car up. (try not to ever put your hands anywhere you wouldn't put your ----. ) Once the stands are in place very slowly turn the floor jack handle counter clockwise (it will have some resistance at first- turn to quickly and it will drop too rapidly.) and it will lower slowly untill the car rests gently on the floor jacks. If the rear jack stands are up high enough there should be no need to raise the front of the car and it's much more stable with the front on the ground. It never hurts to place a third jack stand under the engine case as an emergency back up once the others are set.

Old 02-14-2005, 03:29 PM
john stephanus is on a distinguished road
Oops!!

Just went down and looked. Sorry for my post earlier...that is the engine case I am using as the jack point. I use the area in the center just aft of the oil drain plug.

Old 02-14-2005, 07:15 PM
ebaker is on a distinguished road
Is it ok to put the jack on the center of the crossmember that runs just in front of the engine case?

Old 02-14-2005, 07:25 PM
carbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud of
Cool

Like this.

Attached Images  
Old 02-14-2005, 07:30 PM
collin996tt is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by carbonissimo
Like this.
man, your garage is filthy

Old 02-14-2005, 09:10 PM
Dr. T will become famous soon enough
Originally posted by ebaker
Is it ok to put the jack on the center of the crossmember that runs just in front of the engine case?
That's what I use. You need a jack like the AC that can reach it.

Old 02-15-2005, 04:20 AM
carbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud of
Originally posted by collin996tt
man, your garage is filthy
mine is not.

Old 02-15-2005, 05:08 AM
Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !
How come you guys don't recommend placing the jack stands in the designated jacking locations on both sides of the car?

Old 02-15-2005, 08:22 AM
Dr. T will become famous soon enough
Originally posted by Gunther
How come you guys don't recommend placing the jack stands in the designated jacking locations on both sides of the car?
That's where I place them unless they will be in the way for some reason.

Old 02-15-2005, 09:14 AM
Pioneer Member
Scott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond repute
Can someone post a pick of the underside while it's being held up by the jack? I'd like to see exactly where some of you jack it up if not using the jacking points.

Old 02-15-2005, 08:17 PM
2kuhl is on a distinguished road
Yea, an underbody photo is what would help me the most. I'll put the jackstands on the jacking points. I want to see exactly where you guys are placing the jack under the engine.

Old 02-15-2005, 08:49 PM
Banned
FAT-911 is on a distinguished road
Check this link out, it's from Stephen @ Imagine auto:Click Here

Old 02-15-2005, 09:14 PM
GreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to behold
Originally posted by Scott in H-town
Can someone post a pick of the underside while it's being held up by the jack? I'd like to see exactly where some of you jack it up if not using the jacking points.
Well, please try to re-read Porsche-Tech's post.
He is using the jack points (to support left & right jack stands)........but it's a tad tough to both jack & stand at one point at the same time.....that's why the engine case lift is a good short cut. If you don't have a good (low-rise) jack to do that, you can use the method of jacking right front (at the jacking point) high enough to set jack stand under the right rear........but the the engine shortcut is better/easier (and for low cars, this is often the method shops also use).

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: help please....jacking the rear