996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Charging battery on GT2..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 04:54 PM
pinoyamg is on a distinguished road
Charging battery on GT2..

Just wondering where to hook up the trickle charger on a GT2.... in front or the back. Thanks, Scott.

Old 08-22-2010, 06:55 PM
Page is a glorious beacon of lightPage is a glorious beacon of lightPage is a glorious beacon of lightPage is a glorious beacon of lightPage is a glorious beacon of lightPage is a glorious beacon of light
You can hook up the trickle charger directly to the battery. Best to ventilate the battery area when it's charging and once removed let it breathe a bit when before starting.

Old 08-22-2010, 07:35 PM
I just thought, hooking up to the +/- attatchments in the engine bay would be easier. In the midwest, our winters are brutal and the city is quite eager to spray salt all over the place at the hint of ice, good and bad I suppose, but I intend to park the car for at least 2 months till spring or till they quit salting the roads. I've got an M5 with the battery in the trunk under the liner. Hooking up under the hood made sense..... quick and easy without messing with the liner. I figured the same with the gt2..... I've never owned a porsche so I was wondering whether the same applies. So I guess I need to rephrase the question as whether hooking up to the +/- attatchments in the engine bay okay to charge and store the car over 2 months.

Old 08-22-2010, 11:02 PM
Page is a glorious beacon of lightPage is a glorious beacon of lightPage is a glorious beacon of lightPage is a glorious beacon of lightPage is a glorious beacon of lightPage is a glorious beacon of light
I've always connected directly to the battery. On some cars the battery is not that accessible as you know, so they have auxiliary posts. I haven't tried it, but it should work. The only concern I would have is if there would be any loss in charging considering the length to the battery it self. Some chargers put out less then 2amps.

Old 08-23-2010, 10:20 AM
AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !
Battery tender sells an attachment for the cigarette lighter. Just unplug the two clip ends and plug in the cigarette lighter. Just make sure cord is flat when you shut the door. I know two guys that have been doing it for years on their 996's.

Old 08-23-2010, 10:40 AM
996TTRTS3 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by AtomicZ
Battery tender sells an attachment for the cigarette lighter. Just unplug the two clip ends and plug in the cigarette lighter. Just make sure cord is flat when you shut the door. I know two guys that have been doing it for years on their 996's.

I use this battery tender since one year , buying in Porsche center 80 euros and then perfect working !!!!!!
On mine you'd just to plug in the cigarette lighter and on A/C plug ..... and its'all

Carefull these is only for maintenance not to start and also not if the battery was completly discharging ....

Réference Porsche parts was : 95504490056

but you can also buy it as CTEK branded (whom was exactly the same) ...for less money ...

Old 08-23-2010, 08:13 PM
willieboy is a jewel in the roughwillieboy is a jewel in the roughwillieboy is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by AtomicZ
I have been using the Porsche battery tender through the cig lighter since day one. Works perfectly.

Old 08-24-2010, 07:53 PM
It seems that the cigarette lighter is a popular hook up for the charger/maintainer..... I've got floor plugs and from where the car is currently parked in the garage it was easier to hook up to the remote +/- hook ups in the engine bay. So far so good, battery started out as charging and now is completely charged and on maintenance. Guess there's another way to charge em. Thanks for the input guys... if this does'nt work in the winter, I'll surely buy the porsche battery maintainer and use the cigarette port.