6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   996 Turbo / GT2 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-turbo-gt2-2/)
-   -   Evolution of the 996tt. Who's who. (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-turbo-gt2/221473-evolution-996tt-whos-who.html)

cjv 08-26-2010 08:50 AM

Evolution of the 996tt. Who's who.

It has been over ten years since the 996tt was first introduced. At the time the platform had less than 415 hp. People were modding their cars trying to obtain 450 hp and 500 was the Holy Grail. Some real advanced motors started appearing out of Europe ..... Techart, Gemballa, etc. with 600 to 700 hp and on this side of the pond we couldn't figure out how they got there. These were very expensive to say the least. As things were learned, the art advanced over here. There were leaders and there were followers.

The platform evolved over time with certain people raising the bar with new ideas. Past barriers were broken.

Starting from the beginning ....... who were these people and if you can remember ........ what was it they introduced.

cjv 08-26-2010 09:00 AM

I'll start with some I remember.

1) Ruff. For the longest time I could figure out why Ruf motors made a little more torque. We discovered the larger air intake from the air box to the turbo's was the answer. This lead to replacing the metal parts with non metal parts to reduce heat sink.

2) Another area being looked at was the exhaust. As I can remember Fabspeed and Ruf were at the frnt of the pack back then.

3) Todd from Protomotive was the first I recall using larger air intakes and placing his cone filters in the rear wheel wells. I believe this was done on Wilbur's car which was later purchased by Hamann.

4) Then there was GeorgeV8 who placed an aluminum Chevy motor in his Porsche.

5) Protomotive and GIAC with their early knowledge of the ECU's.

This is a start .......... what do other's remember? Be accurate as their are some old times still around and you do not want to be :o.

rdss 08-26-2010 09:01 AM

Very interesting thread CJV ,for someone like me who is very amazed of what you guys tunner make of the 996tt which is incredible.
When i got my 996tt never thought those cars get that many WHP,never one thought about it.I learned this in this forum and enjoy modding my car with very good help from friends of this forum.

.....and you never stop moddinghilarious..thanks to the tunners:D

emadelta86 08-26-2010 09:12 AM

Fantastic 3d...

Dr_jitsu 08-26-2010 09:15 AM

IMO Todd K. was the #1 ground breaker. Others copied and then improved on his initial ideas, but most originated from Protomotive.

cjv 08-26-2010 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by rdss (Post 2956292)
Very interesting thread CJV ,for someone like me who is very amazed of what you guys tunner make of the 996tt which is incredible.
When i got my 996tt never thought those cars get that many WHP,never one thought about it.I learned this in this forum and enjoy modding my car with very good help from friends of this forum.

.....and you never stop moddinghilarious..thanks to the tunners:D

There was a period of time where this side of the pond followed the other side with modifying K16's and then going to K24's and K26's. I believe we cjv/scargo was the first to use the hybrid with TIAL at the same time Protomotive was using a smaller version of the GT35 with Wilbur's car.

Then along came BuddyG with EVOMS with the Stage V (I believe) which just bested our car power wise. Maybe EVO or Buddy can expound as to exactly what moved that car to about 700 hp.

buddyg 08-26-2010 09:23 AM

I remember seeing something back in 2003 about a PES/Evoms Stage 5 package. I called them and the next day drove my car to Pennsylvania to drop it off. The Stage 5 package evolved into the GT packages.

I have the GT700 which has been reliable 640 rwhp. I can remember some of the European members here who didn't believe that kind of power could hold up in the long term.

I have run multiple track days and drive the car tons on the street and have had zero issues.

Now to see cars running over 1000 whp is just nuts!

cjv 08-26-2010 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu (Post 2956316)
IMO Todd K. was the #1 ground breaker. Others copied and then improved on his initial ideas, but most originated from Protomotive.

Dr. I have mentioned Protomotive above. I mentioned what I know were the specific break throughs. If you know more specifics, please share. At the time period you are referring to I believe Wilburs and my car were very close to the known leaders. There were two different approaches at the time. Mainly the turbo's.

markski@markskituning 08-26-2010 09:26 AM

Bobby ,my bus. partner, put on 16gs in 2002, a year later 18gs.. and then 20gs... long before they were even popular. He spent considerable moneys trying to make certain hybrid turbos work... Although it may not be groundbreaking yet it has some merit.
Todd, I believe, was one of the first in the US to use a after market MAF.

Powell 08-26-2010 09:27 AM

Not old school, but about 1.5 - 2 years ago... Justin Nenni (Tuning Concepts) came into the Porsche scene and was told by major tuners that standalone setups were not possible because they being the "pros" couldn't do it on the 996TT. In about 3 months of owning the car, he had a working and running setup with no dash lights just to prove them wrong. Which was duplicated in my car. Total install and initial tune took all over 6 hours ;) To this day the only other running standalones have dash lights everywhere and most switched to piggy back style setups.

Only thing I've done is just get most people tell me I'm stupid and have them hoping my motor falls apart but at 6-7k miles now and constant abuse she's holding together. A 2k miles or so on full kill 850-900+rwhp (I've ran more boost since the dyno on the street just to see what it would do, and it always ended up 4wheel spin). Also reving the car to 7800RPM with no signs of valve float or any kind of damage. Basically proving high boost is easy to run on the cars with the right timing/fuel. Did it not only a stock DME, but the standalone as well.

unvmy996 08-26-2010 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu (Post 2956316)

i have to agree with you .

yllwturbo 08-26-2010 09:42 AM

i remembered evoms was at their old place n i had about 3000 miles on my car n we did the 600hp-640hp kit can't remember. hhow the car felt afterward was amazing.
i had the evoms fabspeed exhaust cracked on me with 3 different exhausts at almost the same area (they were $4500 back then). good old time. cjv, wilbur is he asian? if he is... thats one crazy .....hilarioushilarious

cjv 08-26-2010 11:17 AM

The European tuners had introduced the GT3 exhaust cams to the 996tt. This was closely followed by GT3 heads with GT3 cams Loren Beggs @ 911 Design and Protomotive (Markski's car) and GT3 program installed on a 996tt ECU by Protomotive. The intake cam (GT3 style) was taken on by myself (cjv) with Neil Harvey @ Performance Developments and I believe the first intake vario cam was done by Protomotive using I believe with Laurie @ Webb Cams. Prior to these efforts I do not believe anyone cracked the intake cam problems.

cjv 08-26-2010 11:21 AM

Hey everyone I have been editing posts to place names mentioned in bold. If you can do this in your response it will save me time.

Powell 08-26-2010 11:22 AM

As far as we have come with these cars I still think there will be more stuff popping up. When I got on this forum almost 3.5 years ago it was a totally different scene... And I was going to keep my car stock with wheels... Wow... How times change!!! :) LOL!!!