996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Bad key fob- GT Key?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 02:58 PM
PAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to all
Bad key fob- GT Key?

I seem to have a bad remote key fob. I changed the battery, still doesn't work (red light on the key DOES illuminate. I have a second key that does work, so I've narrowed it down to the key fob itself.

If I buy a Carrera GT or new 911 style key, can I have the car programmed to work with the new style (and just swap the metal blade from my existing key)?

I assume this would work- but I want to make sure before I order the part.

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...e=996keys.html

Last edited by PAULUNM; 08-28-2010 at 02:59 PM. Reason: addition
Old 08-28-2010, 04:49 PM
Autobahn is a splendid one to beholdAutobahn is a splendid one to beholdAutobahn is a splendid one to beholdAutobahn is a splendid one to beholdAutobahn is a splendid one to beholdAutobahn is a splendid one to beholdAutobahn is a splendid one to behold
The new key housing will work. In addition to the metal blade you will need the transponder crystal and remote from your old key.

Old 08-28-2010, 05:56 PM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
If your remote doesn't work, you can take the new GT key to any dealer or shop with a PSD2 or PWIS to have it programmed. Remember you will need the cars codes (ipas codes) and the key will come with it's code. Then you just take the metal key out of the bad one and use it only. The new key will have a remote and immobilizer (pill). I got one a GT key too they are cool. There is also a black one that says 911.

Old 08-29-2010, 07:47 AM
PAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to all
Originally Posted by SamboTT
If your remote doesn't work, you can take the new GT key to any dealer or shop with a PSD2 or PWIS to have it programmed. Remember you will need the cars codes (ipas codes) and the key will come with it's code. Then you just take the metal key out of the bad one and use it only. The new key will have a remote and immobilizer (pill). I got one a GT key too they are cool. There is also a black one that says 911.
Excellent- thank you.

Did you swap your internals into the new key, or did you follow the reprogramming steps?

My indy mechanic has the ability to reprogram keys.

Old 08-29-2010, 10:37 AM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
cool, you can only swap if your internals are good. The immobilizer is glued in too. So its best to just program the new key since you paid for it anyhow.