996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Rear right side fog stopped working

Old 08-31-2010, 02:40 PM
anikzad is a name known to allanikzad is a name known to allanikzad is a name known to allanikzad is a name known to allanikzad is a name known to allanikzad is a name known to all
Rear right side fog stopped working

Someone mentioned to me my brake lights were out, so I went home and
tested it, it was not the brake lights, but the rear-fog on the passenger side
was out (the one that turns out when you turn on fogs).

I checked the bulb - ok
I used DMM and no voltage (on the passenger side), the other side is fine.

Any and all help/suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Old 08-31-2010, 02:44 PM
secretvampire will become famous soon enough
Fuse?

Old 08-31-2010, 02:55 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
no Porsches have right rear fog lights...euro spec to indicate to other cars the side to pass on (driver's side)

Old 08-31-2010, 03:01 PM
anikzad is a name known to allanikzad is a name known to allanikzad is a name known to allanikzad is a name known to allanikzad is a name known to allanikzad is a name known to all
Maybe mis-spoke on the name, I used the terminology I found on the wiring diagram.

So is there rear (red lights) that go on when you turn on your fogs? if so one of them is not working...

Sorry about the confusion.

Old 08-31-2010, 03:02 PM
Originally Posted by secretvampire
Fuse?
Left and right are connected to same fuse and switch, so if one works and the other one can rule out fuse, switch etc...

Old 08-31-2010, 03:23 PM
Chuck,
For our reference I am posting the image of the wiring I was talking about.

Attached Images  
Old 08-31-2010, 03:27 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
if you open up the right rear light housing you will find the socket for the fog light and no bulb...you can put a bulb in and it won't work...would you like to know how many people have purchased bulbs thinking that Porsche missed it during assembly only to find that it doesn't work anyway? Only the drivers side rear fog light is functional

Old 08-31-2010, 03:50 PM
Originally Posted by GT3 Chuck
if you open up the right rear light housing you will find the socket for the fog light and no bulb...you can put a bulb in and it won't work...would you like to know how many people have purchased bulbs thinking that Porsche missed it during assembly only to find that it doesn't work anyway? Only the drivers side rear fog light is functional

God damn it. Chuck I really appreciate the info. Man this was driving me nuts.
Is this documented somewhere?

I guess I must be stupid.

-Arman

Old 08-31-2010, 04:34 PM
Administrator
stupid is opening the housing and seeing the empty socket and going to the stealer and paying $20 for a bulb that won't work when you put it in

Old 08-31-2010, 06:21 PM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
Chuck is right...it is US DOT regulation...only one bulb on rear fog can work on any car sold in the US legally.

Old 08-31-2010, 07:35 PM
unterbergamotte has a spectacular aura aboutunterbergamotte has a spectacular aura about
The Germans and if fact most Europeans have some, at first glance, interesting idiot racy with their lamps.
There is only a rear fog lamp on the driver’s side - Means pass to the left (right side passing illegal).
When you turn on the fog lamps, the High Beams go off and vice versa.
You can turn on right or left side only parking lamps, weather via lamp switch or turn signal indicator to the side you want to be on - with ignition in OFF position. So nobody crashes into the car while parked on the side of the road without street lights.

Old 08-31-2010, 07:39 PM
willieboy is a jewel in the roughwillieboy is a jewel in the roughwillieboy is a jewel in the rough
There are no stupid questions. Just stupid results from not asking There is so much knowledge on this forum and I'm not affraid to ask anything. And I always get an answer. Great group!

Old 08-31-2010, 07:57 PM
PAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to all
On many new Audis in the US both of the rear fogs light up- but in Europe, only the drivers side should illuminate- so in the UK it would be the other side- hence the socket for the bulb, but no bulb.

Old 08-31-2010, 10:30 PM
MikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by GT3 Chuck
I admit I did this too. Thought my right rear fog light was out when I bought the car. Fortunately, I searched this forum first and found out that's how its "supposed to be" before I bought a fog light . I guess the reason for it in the US is safety requirement, something about making it look like your brake lights are on always or something silly like that.

Old 12-06-2016, 08:56 AM
n15928 is on a distinguished road
Cool The only thing more stupid is ...

Not only trying the bulb but special ordering a $180 replacement wiring harness as well and then reading this ... DUUUHHH.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Rear right side fog stopped working