996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Dealer Response to 2nd Gear Pop Out

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 01:12 PM
SRISER has a spectacular aura aboutSRISER has a spectacular aura aboutSRISER has a spectacular aura about
However, after I complained, they are NOW saying that they would do a "good will" warranty repair even if there is a non-warranty issue. So confusing.

Old 11-02-2010, 01:45 PM
DrF
DrF is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by SRISER
The car was dropped off yesterday. The dealer is going to get authorization from PCNA each step of the way so that I am not stuck with massive labor charges to investigate the pop out in case we find that the PO damaged the 2nd gear. The service rep didn't think that would be the case and seemed very familiar wtih this process. Either way, the dealer agreed to take advantage of the "free" labor and install a new clutch package and will match Suncoasts' price quote. Nice. They also believe that they will get authorization to replace the painted crest center caps.
So what if they find that the PO screwed your car? Based on my conversation with the actual dealership that sold it to me, this wouldn't matter. "The car was CPO'ed. It didn't have 2nd gear pop-out when we sold it to you. We know, we CPO'ed it."

Never mind that it happens once or twice a month and clearly would have been missed in the 20-30 minutes they drove the car.

Old 11-02-2010, 01:55 PM
SRISER has a spectacular aura aboutSRISER has a spectacular aura aboutSRISER has a spectacular aura about
No to the center caps..."outside influence". Whatever.

Old 11-02-2010, 02:34 PM
_gez_ is on a distinguished road
My experience from across the pond.

I had my 2nd gear pop out done on what is called the 'Porsche Approved' warranty here in the UK. I too was warned that if there was signs of 'abuse' then the claim would likely be rejected. I was confident that it wasn't abuse as the symptoms were text book.

After it was opened up there was no question it was anything other than the well documented problem and they fixed it. All the while I had a RS60 to run about in and they had the car for about two weeks.

Gearbox felt so much better (and still does) when I got it back. They must have renewed quite a few components.

Last edited by _gez_; 11-02-2010 at 02:36 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-02-2010, 02:39 PM
Troy Jollimore is on a distinguished road
The 'charge for warranty investigation' isn't a Porsche feature. I've seen it on most brands that I dealt with. If they find a warranty issue, as you said before, it's fully covered. But if it isn't, you're on the hook.

Sucks, especially if you're in a situation where you have to believe everything they tell you, but it's pretty standard...

Old 11-02-2010, 05:14 PM
Originally Posted by _gez_

I had my 2nd gear pop out done on what is called the 'Porsche Approved' warranty here in the UK. I too was warned that if there was signs of 'abuse' then the claim would likely be rejected. I was confident that it wasn't abuse as the symptoms were text book.

After it was opened up there was no question it was anything other than the well documented problem and they fixed it. All the while I had a RS60 to run about in and they had the car for about two weeks.

Gearbox felt so much better (and still does) when I got it back. They must have renewed quite a few components.
Appreciated this post. Made me feel a bit better.

Old 11-02-2010, 05:14 PM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
PCNA wants me to authorize the open and inspect of the trans first at an estimated $1,200. So the multi-billion dollar a year car company wants to charge me $1,200 to investigate a warranty claim. Unbelievable. This would not happen with another car company.
I'm sorry but this is the script for this story every time it is posted...

You should ask this:

"If I agree to 1200, will that be the SOLE charge if PCNA declines the repair and I decline the repair?"

At a dealer, it seems $1200 gets the case open...and NOT put back together!

A

PS Have you downloaded and read the TSB they will use to determine fault?

Old 11-02-2010, 05:18 PM
Originally Posted by ard
I'm sorry but this is the script for this story every time it is posted...

You should ask this:

"If I agree to 1200, will that be the SOLE charge if PCNA declines the repair and I decline the repair?"

At a dealer, it seems $1200 gets the case open...and NOT put back together!

A

PS Have you downloaded and read the TSB they will use to determine fault?
Same old script indeed. Yep, they had the TSB which I read. But with zero track time, pristine condition, 28k on the clock, and a clean ECU download, the dealer is pretty confident that this will be a straight forward warranty repair. PCNA said even if it isn't, they are willing to cover a repair under a good faith warranty repair...not sure what that might mean, but I seem to be in a good place at this point. We'll see how it goes.

Old 11-02-2010, 08:05 PM
DrF
Originally Posted by _gez_

Can you link me to a description of textbook? I picked up a 2005 2 months ago at 13.5, and it happened within the first two weeks. The downside is I don't know if the PO tore it up for those 1-2k he put on it a year.

Old 11-02-2010, 08:07 PM
DrF
Same old script indeed. Yep, they had the TSB which I read. But with zero track time, pristine condition, 28k on the clock, and a clean ECU download, the dealer is pretty confident that this will be a straight forward warranty repair. PCNA said even if it isn't, they are willing to cover a repair under a good faith warranty repair...not sure what that might mean, but I seem to be in a good place at this point. We'll see how it goes.
Clean ECU download... I flashed it last month. I can easily flash back to stock, but my sense is that if they REALLY look at the ECU they can see that it has in fact been flashed at some point in time.

Old 11-02-2010, 09:02 PM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by DrF
Clean ECU download... I flashed it last month. I can easily flash back to stock, but my sense is that if they REALLY look at the ECU they can see that it has in fact been flashed at some point in time.
Bigger issue with the tranny is that they look at the parts and determine what caused the problem based on the internal damage....

Old 11-02-2010, 09:04 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
My opinion is that you need to be a good advocate of your own cause. This is a business transaction and they don't want to pay. Plain and simple.

Old 11-03-2010, 02:17 PM
_gez_ is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by DrF
Can you link me to a description of textbook? I picked up a 2005 2 months ago at 13.5, and it happened within the first two weeks. The downside is I don't know if the PO tore it up for those 1-2k he put on it a year.
Well, my description of text book is no shifting problems at all, no problems when gear is engaged and you are apply power, only problem is on overrun when the car would occasionally pop into neutral.

An abused gearbox normally means poor shifting quality as the syncros take the brunt of the abuse.

Here is a link to a supplier on your side of the pond. Perhaps you could call them if you want some reassurance as to what is the normal symptom.

http://www.rsmotorwerks.com/casestudies.php

Old 11-04-2010, 01:41 PM
UPDATE: Synchros are no good. 1-2nd gear are worn. No sign of abuse so PCNA is now deciding whether to rebuild the trans or provide a new one...under warranty. And that is good, the rebuild quoted at $7,300 and the trans at $12,000 installed. My bet is they will chose to rebuild it. Then again, with 16 months left on the CPO, they may just pull the trigger on a new unit. That would be really nice.

Old 11-04-2010, 02:13 PM
RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !
Good to hear it was covered.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Dealer Response to 2nd Gear Pop Out