996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Another Dension Gateway 500 thread

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 02:50 AM
Yazz911TT will become famous soon enough
Another Dension Gateway 500 thread

sorry if this has already been mentioned guys but I did do a search and couldn't exactly find the answer. I just had my Gateway 500 connected up and I really dont understand the interface and how to use it with my PCM 2.0. When i click on menu I get a list with IPOD UI, AUX GW, IPOD GW...and some weird stuff. The car did not originally come with a CD changer, could this be the issue? I do remember seeing a thread with instructions on how to navigate through the menu via the PCM2. a link to this thread would be great! THanks guys!

Old 01-04-2011, 07:21 AM
ChrisGTS is on a distinguished road
Your menu list is the same one I have on my car. It's the input selection menu that lets you designate which input the GW500 is using:
Ipod UI -- audio comes from ipod but you control playlist, artist, album selection with the ipod itself
Ipod GW -- also ipod, but the head unit allows you to control playlist, artist, etc. selection
Aux -- audio comes from the aux input on the Gateway. No control through head unit
USB -- reads mp3 and wma files from USB drive. Control (including playlists and artists) is through the head unit

To select one, just use the control wheel and then to select it, press and hold the "forward" button (as if you are fast-forwarding).

On my unit, when you are in "IpodGW" mode or "USB" mode, you choose CD1 to choose playlists, CD2 for artists, CD3 for albums, CD4 for various options like random play all, CD5 is the normal playback mode, and CD6 is the input selection menu. All of the selections are done the same way -- use "track list" to see the list of options (whether it is playlists or input options or whatever), then highlight the desired choice with the control **** and hold down the "fast forward" button to select it.

I later figured out that all of this is in the instructions, but it took me a while to figure it out when I installed mine.

Old 01-04-2011, 08:12 AM
Originally Posted by ChrisGTS
Your menu list is the same one I have on my car. It's the input selection menu that lets you designate which input the GW500 is using:
Ipod UI -- audio comes from ipod but you control playlist, artist, album selection with the ipod itself
Ipod GW -- also ipod, but the head unit allows you to control playlist, artist, etc. selection
Aux -- audio comes from the aux input on the Gateway. No control through head unit
USB -- reads mp3 and wma files from USB drive. Control (including playlists and artists) is through the head unit

To select one, just use the control wheel and then to select it, press and hold the "forward" button (as if you are fast-forwarding).

On my unit, when you are in "IpodGW" mode or "USB" mode, you choose CD1 to choose playlists, CD2 for artists, CD3 for albums, CD4 for various options like random play all, CD5 is the normal playback mode, and CD6 is the input selection menu. All of the selections are done the same way -- use "track list" to see the list of options (whether it is playlists or input options or whatever), then highlight the desired choice with the control **** and hold down the "fast forward" button to select it.

I later figured out that all of this is in the instructions, but it took me a while to figure it out when I installed mine.
thanks chris!! I will have a fiddle with this later today!!

Old 01-04-2011, 12:08 PM
Chris Dude, I've just had a fiddle, I cant seem to get out of a playlist once I'm in one. And I cant seem to get the menu up where all 6 cds are selectable and each cd relates to a list on the ipod menu as you mentioned. Do you have a copy of the instructions, or can they be found on the net anywhere? Thanks.

Old 01-04-2011, 12:41 PM
ChrisGTS is on a distinguished road
User guide: http://www.dension.com/sites/default...erguide4_4.pdf

Install guide:
http://www.dension.com/sites/default...tallguide1.pdf

It is possible yours is not working because your car did not have the CD changer in it. What I understood is that the head unit has to be programmed by a Porsche dealership to "recognize" the presence of the CD changer, and if your car did not have one, you may need to get the dealer to do this programming to get the GW500 to work.

Good luck with it.