996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Anyone Experience difficulty getting OUT of gear when stopped?

Old 07-19-2003, 08:53 AM
Joe West is on a distinguished road
Hi Rob,

Thanks for your comments... I don't know why this is so damn difficult for me. If I thought that the mechanics would treat my car the way I treat it... I would get it fixed in a heartbeat.

I guess the bottom line is, it is a pain in the *** to workaround the problem and while it seems to be getting better, I suspect it is just intermittent/thermal/phases of the moon dependent.

I think what I'll do is go have a talk with both the mechanic and the service advisor and let them know how strongly I feel about my car

Maybe a heart-to-heart will help the mechanic understand how important a careful and meticulous job is to me.

I'm going to go see them on Tuesday and see how I feel after talking to the mechanic... but you are right; even at 2k miles I am missing the shifting that I had for the first thousand miles.

Kind Regards,

Joe West

Old 07-22-2003, 11:17 AM
Update... Problem found by Dealership

Hi,

I just got a call from my service advisor, and after opening up the clutch assembly and inspecting it, they found the cause of my problem.

It turns out that the clutch was sticking on the splines of the output shaft, causing the clutch disk to bind. They will be replacing the clutch disk and polishing the output shaft to eleminate any binding.

I should get my 996TT back day after tomorrow. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they don't screw something else up while they are in there.

Kind Regards,

Joe West

PS. After I get my Porsche back, and I am sure that this fixes the problem, I'll post the name and phone number of my service advisor so that others who find they are having the same problem can contact him.

Old 07-25-2003, 03:21 AM
And last but not least....

Received the Porsche back today from having the clutch splines and the input shaft the clutch rides on deburred and lubricated... and everything is like new again.
No problems getting out of gear at all, and in fact, shifting is butter smooth; even better than the best it ever was when I got it.

And as promised, if it will help you take care of a similar problem and your service advisor isn't cooperating, here is the name of my service advisor and a phone number, he's a great guy and I'm sure he'd be glad to help out.

Scottsdale Porsche (480) 538-3800

Ask for Jaime in service, and tell him Joe West referred you to him.

Kind Regards,

Joe West

Old 07-25-2003, 07:36 AM
Yupkwondo is infamous around these partsYupkwondo is infamous around these partsYupkwondo is infamous around these partsYupkwondo is infamous around these parts
Joe,

Thanks for keep me (us) up to date on your happenings. I got my car fixed of the shifter linkage prblem...but it still sticks. I want to drive it for a few days weeks before I hand it back over to them again. I may go to a different dearlership, but probably not. I will just tell them to check it, and if I'm wrong I'll pay the labor costs. Who knows, but they are being a typical dealer right now. I even told them that I know of the same problem, and could get a number for them to talk to another SA, and they said our tech is good enough he'll find it.

~ Jason

Old 07-25-2003, 08:23 AM
Don't accept no for an answer...

Hi Jason,

DO NOT let the dealer tell you how things work... you tell them.... and don't even offer to pay for the work.

Mention the lemon law in your state when you call to make the appointment... it should turn their heads.

And last but not least, if this doesn't work... send me the name and phone number of your service advisor and I'll talk to him/her.

Joe West

Old 01-21-2004, 09:02 AM
Dr. T will become famous soon enough
Joe,
Are you still happy with the results of the fix? My 2003 has the exact same symptoms yours had. I haven't taken it in yet because I have the same attitude as you about anyone but me working on my car and since I am the second owner I am a bit concerned they may pull the "previous owner abused it" routine.
Thanks,
-Glen

Old 01-21-2004, 09:37 AM
Dave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to behold
Gentlemen,
At $125 - $145 bucks, they will want you back in 3 years to buy a new one. I'm shocked to hear of all these horror stories. As I understand it, the dealerships are being reimbursed by our friends in Deutschland for these repairs. If you are getting flack from these service centers or dealers, get hold of the business managers and/or call Porsche North America!

Old 01-21-2004, 11:56 AM
996turbo will become famous soon enough
I had the same problem here on my '03 TT. Same fix. Hope PNA is reading these posts and will address the problem.

Old 01-22-2004, 03:07 PM
Not a single problem since. I couldn't be happier.

Do yourself a favor and take it in... it hurts initially to think that they need to do such major work, but it really only takes a couple of hours and is quite a simple task.

Joe

Originally posted by Dr. T
Joe,
Are you still happy with the results of the fix? My 2003 has the exact same symptoms yours had. I haven't taken it in yet because I have the same attitude as you about anyone but me working on my car and since I am the second owner I am a bit concerned they may pull the "previous owner abused it" routine.
Thanks,
-Glen

Old 01-27-2004, 10:23 PM
Dr. T will become famous soon enough
Well I took it in to Barrier Porsche in Bellevue and could not be happier! They addressed the problem quickly and professionally (the input shaft needed grease). Now the car is a complete pleasure to drive. While it was in they also updated the software, checked the torque on a powersteering fitting ( a recall ) and replaced both windshield wipers because they were squeaking. It sure is nice to be able to report a positive experience with a service department.
Thanks for everyone's input.
-Glen

Old 03-24-2004, 06:31 AM
Silver TT
Mark Singer is on a distinguished road
Stuck in gear problem

I bought my 2002 TT in late Dec. 2003 , with 17,000 miles. It was used and purchased from Walter's Porsche in Riverside CA. Within a week I noticed the same shifting problem ...it is difficult to get shifter out of gear when downshifting especially at lower RPM ...like coasting. I complained to Walter's within a couple of weeks and the service adviser drove the car and said it was shifting normally. When it persisted I brought it to Newport Auto Center another Porsche dealer. I even brought a print out of all the 6 Speed on line posts on the subject. They diagnosed it as a clutch slave problem and , after the part came from Germany, they replaced it. I was told to drive the car several hundred miles, by the service advisor to make sure the problem was gone. I did and it was not gone! So I went back and upon a test drive the advisor felt the problem. I left the car and he said he would need to get permission from Porsche America to remove the trans and inspect. I brought down the 6 Speed printout again and I told him to call Jamie at Scottsdale Porsche who was Joe Wests' service advisor. He called Mike Rodfrey (spelling?) there and said the solution was not just grease on the input shaft , but there were broken fingers on the diaphram causing the problem. Joe , if you are there , is that true?
The last conversation I had with the Service advisor was not a good one...he said if they open it up and the clutch is worn, the repair work will be my cost....$2800!
I can't imagine that a worn clutch could possibly cause these these symptoms? Especially without the normal worn clutch symptoms of slipping , etc...there are none of these.
I am concerned that the problem may have caused wear to the transmission that would have been avoided if it were correctly diagnosed in the first place...2000 additional miles were added since I complained. Not to mention the miles by the previous owner.
I am getting the "since you bought a used car ...we don't know if it was abused " crap.
I think I should go down with an independent Porsche Mechanic when the trans is out, to give me a second opinion.
I am going to tell the service advisor , that I would like to bring an expert down... What do you guys thinK?
I also feel that if it is the clutch , Walter's Porsche should pay the tab since I complained from almost day one when I bought the car it there!
I also feel the trans should be replaced do to the extra wear of driving it...I don't know how likley Porsche will replace the trans though?
I appreciate any suggestions. It seems like a well known problem and they are still giving me excuses!

Last edited by Mark Singer; 03-24-2004 at 06:41 AM.
Old 03-24-2004, 09:00 AM
LSM
LSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of light
Originally posted by Yupkwondo
Finally someone else that has my problem.....

I've had my car to my dealership 2 times, the first they said they couldn't reproduce it, the second, had to drive back and show them how to do it. My exact procedure is as follows...

Drive as normal, when coming to a stop, leave the shifter in 2nd brake but do not hit the clutch until around 1200-1400 rpms, sometimes even under that...then push in the clutch and look at that your shifter is jammed in gear. Works almost 100% of the time.

After it happened they said well we don't know, the car is new take it and drive it for some time and then see if it loosens up. Well fast forward to this sunday

Sunday coming to a stop at a light, sticks in second gear, go to push it out, and POP, not the usual sounds like a popping it out of gear while moving, but broken pop. And it was...The entire linkage broke off of the bottom of my shifter shaft, thats how much force it took to take it out of gear. So now my car sits at the dealership (towed there) not in any gear, with the porsche tech on vacation until the end of the week

Anyway it has happened like 50 times to me, maybe it's my driving style, but hopefully someone on the board can do us a favor and see if they can reproduce it on their cars, and maybe it is a porsche thing. I don't know, but ohh yeah I've had that problem. By the way my car is a 2003 X50.

~ Jason
03 Black/Black X50

I had that same problem and my dealership replaced the synchros and fixed the problem. They may have done something else as well, however, they did find the problem and fix it. Maybe I can fax you guys who have this problem my bill detailing what was done. Let me know.

Lou

Old 03-24-2004, 09:13 AM
Silver TT
Mark Singer is on a distinguished road
Lou,
That would be great! I need help to prove this problem is common and should be covered by Porsche! My fax is 949.499.6244 Please fax your service record.
Thank you,
Mark

Old 03-24-2004, 10:23 AM
LSM
LSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of light
Originally posted by Mark Singer
Lou,
That would be great! I need help to prove this problem is common and should be covered by Porsche! My fax is 949.499.6244 Please fax your service record.
Thank you,
Mark
I'll run home and get it real quick. I'll fax it this afternoon.

Lou

Old 03-24-2004, 01:04 PM
LSM
Mark, I faxed it, hope it helps. BTW, I faxed to the number you gave me and its a regular phone line. Anyway, I called and got your fax number. Let me know if you did not get it.

Lou

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Anyone Experience difficulty getting OUT of gear when stopped?