996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

USP Motorsports 996TT: Engine build thread

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 11:59 AM
Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !
subscribing

Old 05-10-2011, 12:34 PM
Basic Sponsor
Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !
looks good chris. i am also curious to see pics of stock rods. did you see any deformation or stress cracks from being at that power level for so long?

997TT SlowBerry - 205.0 mph 1/2 Mile WR Nov 2018, 9.7 @ 170 mph 1/4 Mile , 3.2 60-130 mph , 2.4 100-150 mph , 1420whp E85
ESMOTOR | DO88 | TPC DSC | SYVECS | COBB | IPD | KLINE | XONA | AMS | ID | ERP | SACHS | TURBOSMART | CSF | DODSON |
Old 05-11-2011, 07:38 AM
Lennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Chris Green@USP
All the port work was done by a local machine shop. very nice work as you can see. building this motor is like a jig saw puzzle put it that way. way to much to type.

Alex, I am using stock cams for now Rev limiter will be the same 7500.

Vinny, Post up your inlet results come on!!!

I am patiently waiting for the mad scientist to send me my results!

Old 05-11-2011, 07:44 AM
Former Vendor
Chris Green@USP has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green@USP has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green@USP has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green@USP has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green@USP has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green@USP has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green@USP has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green@USP has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green@USP has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green@USP has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green@USP has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Tim941NYC
I have a few questions, what did the pistons and sleeves look like when you took them out? Where any of the stock rods bent? Are you are running the stock oil pump and head studs? I also am a big fan of the stock pistons, but if you are using E85 why would you not raise the compression ratio? Nice head work, did you change to singe groove keepers?
Pistons and sleeves looked good wen they came out, and 4 out of 6 rods seemed to have started bending. I'll be keeping the stock oil pump and head studs. Raising the compression would be nice, but I wanted to keep this build pretty basic.. its usually the basic setups that end up doing the best . Thanks for the compliment on the head work, I'm really happy with the guys work as well. Yes, I changed to single groove keepers.

Happy Wednesday gentlemen!

Old 05-11-2011, 08:10 AM
Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !
How long was the car abused for as in at this power level, as far as miles and etc. Eventually I want to do a basic rebuild, thanks for sharing.

Old 05-11-2011, 08:19 AM
rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !
Another good question for Christ from blockhead ? all this info will help us a lot.

Thank you very much Christ for your honest answers,we learn a lot from you.

Old 05-11-2011, 08:51 AM
Tj Hunter is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Blockhed
How long was the car abused for as in at this power level, as far as miles and etc. Eventually I want to do a basic rebuild, thanks for sharing.
+1, specifically would you recommend a possible rod bearing change interval? There is a problem with BMW S62 engine with rod bearings, seems that some people are perfectly fine, and others go out anywhere from 50-100K miles and spin a bearing. I am starting to see a trend of rod bearings needing to be replaced in higher performance engines, which only makes sense.

Old 05-11-2011, 09:30 AM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
Chris, you mentioned raising the rev limiter to 7500rpm. When doing an engine build, how do you determine what is a safe rpm number for redline? What factors play into this determination? I know a number of tuners raise the rev limiter on stock cars when you buy their flash. Is that safe?

Old 05-11-2011, 10:20 AM
Tj Hunter is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by landjet
Chris, you mentioned raising the rev limiter to 7500rpm. When doing an engine build, how do you determine what is a safe rpm number for redline? What factors play into this determination? I know a number of tuners raise the rev limiter on stock cars when you buy their flash. Is that safe?
The 2 things one worries about when it come to RPM is the head and crank. If you switch to higher grade valves and valve springs and knife edge and lighten the crank, you will be able to increase RPM redline. I do not have the calculations to determine this directly, but most manufactures should be able to tell you what a safe redline for the valve train would be when adding the upgraded components. A raise redline is usually not a bad thing, typically manufactures will put the redline well below the actual engine threshold due to majority of people not understanding how engines work, therefore making the engines safer and more reliable. As most of you know, a lot of people have money, but not many have brains, and most manufactures know this haha.

Old 05-11-2011, 10:27 AM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by landjet
Larry,
We rev'ed my motor to 7800 (limiter was 7850) when it was completely stock. We had no signs of broken springs or any valve float. We were surprised but it pulled ALL the way to the redline.

Looks VERY good Chris. I guess we are finally joining the cool kids crew!

Old 05-11-2011, 11:23 AM
OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !
you put alot of trust in that cheap table holding up your engine =)

looks good what kind of valves are those?
which bottome end bearings did you decide on? Porsche motorsports? or stock?

stock head gasket?

Old 05-11-2011, 11:27 AM
needforspeed502 is a splendid one to beholdneedforspeed502 is a splendid one to beholdneedforspeed502 is a splendid one to beholdneedforspeed502 is a splendid one to beholdneedforspeed502 is a splendid one to beholdneedforspeed502 is a splendid one to beholdneedforspeed502 is a splendid one to beholdneedforspeed502 is a splendid one to behold
Im surprised that 4 of the rods were bent. How bent were they?

Old 05-11-2011, 11:29 AM
OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by needforspeed502
Im surprised that 4 of the rods were bent. How bent were they?
im not have you seen what a stock 996tt rod is? its the same as the NA 993 rod

this has been happening over and over just no one has been talking about it.

Old 05-11-2011, 01:09 PM
emadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Powell
Larry,
We rev'ed my motor to 7800 (limiter was 7850) when it was completely stock. We had no signs of broken springs or any valve float. We were surprised but it pulled ALL the way to the redline.

Looks VERY good Chris. I guess we are finally joining the cool kids crew!
Hey Chris, I'm curious to know how your rods looked like when you opened the enngine...

Old 05-11-2011, 01:23 PM
SSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by OS Inspector
im not have you seen what a stock 996tt rod is? its the same as the NA 993 rod

this has been happening over and over just no one has been talking about it.
Wow that is kind of scary. I wonder what mine rods look like... How much does it cost to change the rods?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: USP Motorsports 996TT: Engine build thread