996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Tire cord showing -question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 11:47 AM
tvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond repute
Done it before, but would not advise doing it - it's just not smart.

If you insist on driving, spend $50 and rotate the tires from side to side so the cords are on the outside edge and don't really get into contact with the pavement in straight line or slow cornering.

Old 06-05-2011, 11:56 AM
Aerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by tvr-4
Done it before, but would not advise doing it - it's just not smart.

If you insist on driving, spend $50 and rotate the tires from side to side so the cords are on the outside edge and don't really get into contact with the pavement in straight line or slow cornering.
Since you'd have to unmount the tires from the wheels and remount, and you'd be driving on tires with a reversed inside/outside tread pattern -- I'd say by then you should go ahead and get new cheaper rear tires (e.g. Hankook V12 for $200) that you'd be much better of running on for quite some time.

If you're just trying to get home or hold out until the new tires come in -- you're probably better of just leaving them as is and taking it much easier. I'd suspect no reputable tire place will unmount and remount corded tires for you. Plus I'd be concerned that the stress of that is worse for the tire (?)

Old 06-05-2011, 12:14 PM
tvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Aerodude
Since you'd have to unmount the tires from the wheels and remount, and you'd be driving on tires with a reversed inside/outside tread pattern -- I'd say by then you should go ahead and get new cheaper rear tires (e.g. Hankook V12 for $200) that you'd be much better of running on for quite some time.

If you're just trying to get home or hold out until the new tires come in -- you're probably better of just leaving them as is and taking it much easier. I'd suspect no reputable tire place will unmount and remount corded tires for you. Plus I'd be concerned that the stress of that is worse for the tire (?)
Inside/outside doesn't really matter on most directional tires as the pattern & firmness of inside/outside sidewall is the same. The only reason I mentioned this option is because he can't seem to get tires fast enough but wants to drive for e week.

You do bring up a great point of remounting corded tires - now that I think about it, no shop in their right mind would ever do this and risk getting sued.

Old 06-05-2011, 12:33 PM
Aerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by tvr-4
Inside/outside doesn't really matter on most directional tires as the pattern & firmness of inside/outside sidewall is the same. The only reason I mentioned this option is because he can't seem to get tires fast enough but wants to drive for e week.
Good point. Although from the pictures, it looks like the tires in question are PS2s, which I believe are inside/outside (rather than directional) tires. It's confusing because the earlier Pilot Sport Rib tires I have are directional.

Old 06-05-2011, 02:21 PM
joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !
get the alignment checked when u put the new tires on

Old 06-05-2011, 08:39 PM
pat
pat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond repute
Mine were way worse. I was routinely hitting 135 and and felt something funny. When I checked the cords were showing much worse than yours. Needless to say I drove normal after that and got a new set.

Old 06-05-2011, 11:03 PM
VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !
I think you'll be okay as well, for short low speed distances. Just keep an eye on them daily until the new rubber comes in. Mine were worst than that when I first noticed the wear. However, it wasn't that much longer before the steel threads/beads broke through. Once I saw that I pulled them off.

Old 06-05-2011, 11:37 PM
jspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond repute
Just take them off and reverse them and wear out the other edge

If you are going to ignore cord showing, you can ignore that tire rotation direction arrow too.

Just under the cord you will hit the steel belts which will not just fray apart, they will come out like dreadlocks and go whap, whap, whap in the wheel wells. This audible reminder is much handier than looking at the tread every couple of weeks.

Now, what are your plans to get the next set of years because the ones on order certainly aren't going to last long either.

So raise the car back up some. Unless you have money to burn and rims for free.

Jim

Old 05-25-2019, 09:17 PM
911 991.2 TURBO S is an unknown quantity at this point
Too Funny

Originally Posted by Guybrush
This is how it looks.

Attachment 496089
My PS were the same so but a new car.

Old 01-05-2021, 02:38 AM
emilio sanchez is an unknown quantity at this point
Is that a researched answer or just repeating what someone said?

Originally Posted by Duane996tt
Don't know what the laws are in your country, but in the US that tire is illegal to drive on.
I live in Florida wich is part of the US and our tire laws only apply to highway driving.

https://www.flrules.org/Gateway/View...sp?id=21176572

Old 01-06-2021, 10:25 AM
Third-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond repute
I would recommend keeping the car sideways with the tires spinning as much as possible to load the outside edge of the tire and protect the inside corded edge