996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Any performance gain moving from mountains to sea level?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 03:56 PM
rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !
You will feel the gane,it's for sure your performance will impruve.

Old 08-08-2011, 04:02 PM
earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ReeknHavic
On another note, please explain how increasing PRs and dropping turbo efficiency does not affect power output...
If you'll read what I wrote again you'll notice that I said it does affect power output.[/quote]

Oops, my bad!

OP: I would estimate you'll see ~50-70hp of *actual* power increase given similar temperatures. GTgears' 12% agrees to almost exactly what I saw in actual power changes going from ABQ to LA.

Last edited by earl3; 08-08-2011 at 04:08 PM.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:33 PM
c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ColoradoSilver
Thanks,

Will likely make the 3 hr drive up to Kevin @ Ultimate just outside Seattle for a new tune, maybe a nice K24/18g setup as well.
Learned this from the man himself: Kevin @ UMW only tunes and supports stock turbos or his own, proprietary UMW turbo upgrades. He has a couple turbos he builds, and further offers a few a la carte upgrades for those as well. Fair warning: his tuning seems very reasonable, but the hardware upgrades appear pricey. Might be worth it to some, but expensive nonetheless.

Of note, he doesn't support K24/18g turbos, or Tial Alpha variants. You'd have to go elsewhere for your tuning if you wish to run those turbos (Protomotive or EPL being the most regularly endorsed, from what I gather here).

Old 08-08-2011, 04:44 PM
ColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM
Learned this from the man himself: Kevin @ UMW only tunes and supports stock turbos or his own, proprietary UMW turbo upgrades. He has a couple turbos he builds, and further offers a few a la carte upgrades for those as well. Fair warning: his tuning seems very reasonable, but the hardware upgrades appear pricey. Might be worth it to some, but expensive nonetheless.

Of note, he doesn't support K24/18g turbos, or Tial Alpha variants. You'd have to go elsewhere for your tuning if you wish to run those turbos (Protomotive or EPL being the most regularly endorsed, from what I gather here).
I've noticed on the UMW site they don't do anything with 24/18g setups. Thought they may have just left that off the list. Guess not.
Oh well, not in a hurry. Maybe I'll just see what other tuners are available in the NW region.

Thanks for the info though.

Old 08-09-2011, 11:30 AM
Former Vendor
GTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ColoradoSilver
Are you talking about corrected power as read by the dyno? I believe that (in theory) the SAE corrected numbers should be the same no matter what altitude I'm at. I know I lose power duie to heat and thinner air, thats why I figured I'd get some back in lower altitudes where the air is naturally denser.
Your assumption is correct. SAE corrected numbers for any dyno runs you made up here make it look like you at sea level. The correction artificially inflates the numbers above what you truly make here. SAE correction tries to make an apples to apples comparison for use all over the world anywhere you might dyno the car.

The problem is not only does a Mustang read different than a Dyno-Pack which reads different than a Dyno Dynamics, but the correction factor used by the dyno operator varies widely. Locally, it's common knowledge that Mac Autosports has a much more generous correction factor on their dyno than Boost Creep uses up here in Longmont. Run your car same day, same set up in both facilities and on a vehicle like yours, you'll likely see a 20-30hp difference between the two dyno sheets the above mentioned facilities hand to you.

Old 08-09-2011, 11:41 AM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
This variation in dynos is the reason why I posted an alternative method to measure and compare performance by using ECU data directly obtained using a Durametric cable. In my opinion this would provide the most accurate measure of performance change going from low altitude to high altitude. Everything is internally calibrated since it utilizes mass air flow, a direct measurement whether you're at sea level or 8000 feet. No correction factors needed.
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...der-curve.html

Last edited by TTdude; 08-09-2011 at 11:45 AM.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:03 PM
earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TTdude
This variation in dynos is the reason why I posted an alternative method to measure and compare performance by using ECU data directly obtained using a Durametric cable. In my opinion this would provide the most accurate measure of performance change going from low altitude to high altitude. Everything is internally calibrated since it utilizes mass air flow, a direct measurement whether you're at sea level or 8000 feet. No correction factors needed.
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...der-curve.html

The problem there is that stock 996 MAF users will peg the meter at ~1377 kg/s. It works well for 997s and non-stock MAF suers though.

Old 08-09-2011, 05:59 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by earl3
The problem there is that stock 996 MAF users will peg the meter at ~1377 kg/s. It works well for 997s and non-stock MAF suers though.
What do 996ers do when they upgrade? Wouldn't just a flash and exhaust exceed the maf limit? Does everone swap out the mafs too?