996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

V1 opinions needed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-17-2003, 02:51 PM
rockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by Hossfly
My Passport 8500 picks up radar from the rear without a problem...probably better than my V1 did.
How do you figure that, especially when you do'nt have a dedicated rear sensor???

I agree you will pick it up when they are close enough, but there is no way it can compete with the rear early warning of the V1. Did your V1 have the most recent software??? ie 1.8

And how do you know it was rear detection...There are no direction arrows on the passport. I suppose if it goes off and you slow down and the cop passes you could say rear detection...guess work IMHO. At least with the V1 you know for sure what direction the radar is coming from and well in advance...

Old 10-17-2003, 03:13 PM
Hossfly has a brilliant futureHossfly has a brilliant futureHossfly has a brilliant futureHossfly has a brilliant futureHossfly has a brilliant futureHossfly has a brilliant futureHossfly has a brilliant futureHossfly has a brilliant futureHossfly has a brilliant futureHossfly has a brilliant futureHossfly has a brilliant future
Originally posted by rockitman
How do you figure that, especially when you do'nt have a dedicated rear sensor???

I agree you will pick it up when they are close enough, but there is no way it can compete with the rear early warning of the V1. Did your V1 have the most recent software??? ie 1.8

And how do you know it was rear detection...There are no direction arrows on the passport. I suppose if it goes off and you slow down and the cop passes you could say rear detection...guess work IMHO. At least with the V1 you know for sure what direction the radar is coming from and well in advance...
I can only speak from real-world experience....the 8500 never has a problem picking up radar from the rear....the sensitivity from the rear was just as good as the V1. I obviously have never setup an official test, but in real-world use, I could not tell any difference. This is not an issue between these two units.

As far as the direction arrows go, I didn't find that feature to be of any significant usefullness. I always felt like it was more novelty than anything else. I don't care which direction it's coming from, if I'm picking up radar, I slow down.

Old 10-17-2003, 04:11 PM
rockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond repute
Fair enough...I guess each to his own, really splitting hair's here. I am sure that the 8500 is a good detector as is the V1. It really just comes down to personal preference... Take care and avoid those speed speed traps. :-)

Last edited by rockitman; 10-17-2003 at 04:49 PM.
Old 10-17-2003, 04:43 PM
LSM
LSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of light
Thanks alot guys for valuable info. I guess the difference is neglegible. I think I will simply go for the cheaper unit.

-Lou

Old 10-17-2003, 04:44 PM
LSM
LSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of light
Whatever that new Bel is costs $500. I wonder how that compares? It is probably to new to get any kind of objective test.

-Lou

Old 10-17-2003, 05:25 PM
sgluck is infamous around these parts
I always thought of painting a car a flat black (like the stealth)....that should make it a little more radar resistant considering radar need a reflective surface to bounch off of....

Old 10-18-2003, 01:43 AM
ebaker is infamous around these parts
A black car makes it harder for laser to lock on but makes no difference with radar. Unfortunately 996's have the big chrome headlights for laser to target, even if the front licence plate is missing. The rounded shape of the 996 probably helps reduce radar range. Radar reflects more off of sharp angles and edges. Plastic body cars reflect less radar, assuming the paint is non-metallic. Car & Driver did a radar gun range test several years ago. The Corvette's range was about 1/3 that of a similar sized metal car. Another test showed that covering all reflective surfaces (headlights, chrome trim, front plate) with flat black tape reduced the range of a laser gun to near zero.

Last edited by ebaker; 10-18-2003 at 10:41 PM.
Old 10-18-2003, 11:40 AM
MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !
The newer radar guns with DSP (digital signal processing) are not as easily stealthed as they used to be. I bought a Stalker ATR from the manufacturer to play and experiment with. The gun is incredibly fast and sensitive. I can track birds at 18mph as they fly over my house. It can lock up any car at 1/4 of a mile away in less than one second after activating the instant on.
Your only hope is a sensitive radar detector and the cop trys someone in front of your so you can detect him before you are in range!

Old 10-18-2003, 12:06 PM
MWEELS is infamous around these parts
V1

The V1 has saved my *** a number of times. The arrows are key not only to know where the hits are coming from but where they went. A lot of times you will get an arrow forward center and then back meaning the cop just passed you in the other direction.

I don't know how i lived with out it to be honest!

MWEELS