996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

996TT pricing - has the bleeding stopped yet?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 02:54 PM
Onetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Tpup
I just got a trade number on mine from a Porsche deal. I have an 01 TT with 6K miles on it; concours winner. I'm the original owner, the car is perfect with all service records etc. Wanted to trade on a new turbo cab. They offered me $32K.

Don't give it to the dealer, I'm sure you can get quite a bit more than that if you sell it yourself.

Old 10-12-2011, 04:17 PM
pumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond repute
I expect many of those are old adds as mine is still on autotrader even tho i bought it february 2010!! But i too see the prices flatening out here. In fact i expect older very well kept low mileage cars to begin to appreciate as did the 993's as they become more rare. Many people are racking the miles up which makes the low mileage cars more desireable. My 02 has average of 2500 miles/year and plan to keep it that way.
Originally Posted by Steve Jarvis
If you stay in the high $30's to low $40's, you probably won't lose a lot of money, but you may still have a hard time selling the car. There are a lot of them in the market place right now. There are 233 996 turbo's listed on autotrader right now with less than 60,000 miles (118 of which have less then 30,000 miles on them). Of these cars, only 89 are asking more than $50,000.

Later, Steve

Old 10-12-2011, 07:34 PM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by pumptech
I expect many of those are old adds as mine is still on autotrader even tho i bought it february 2010!! But i too see the prices flatening out here. In fact i expect older very well kept low mileage cars to begin to appreciate as did the 993's as they become more rare. Many people are racking the miles up which makes the low mileage cars more desireable. My 02 has average of 2500 miles/year and plan to keep it that way.
You cannot compare our 996TTs with 993TTs due to build numbers. Those cars are rarer, pure and simple. Ours are the first of the mass produced turbos and, although we love them more than anyone, they will never be as rare as the 993TTs. It's just simple supply and demand when you compare them.

Old 10-12-2011, 07:49 PM
Banned
k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by randomquickness
^and you replied with???
Hopefully...fu?

Old 10-12-2011, 08:22 PM
Banned
k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !
Blooood...shhiiiiit, never shedded any when I bought my 02 911 X50|6MT w/43k Miles for $37k. All depends on how desperate the seller is and if you flash cash in there face.

Old 10-12-2011, 10:11 PM
flavorPacket has a reputation beyond reputeflavorPacket has a reputation beyond reputeflavorPacket has a reputation beyond reputeflavorPacket has a reputation beyond reputeflavorPacket has a reputation beyond reputeflavorPacket has a reputation beyond reputeflavorPacket has a reputation beyond reputeflavorPacket has a reputation beyond reputeflavorPacket has a reputation beyond reputeflavorPacket has a reputation beyond reputeflavorPacket has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by vntperformance
Blooood...shhiiiiit, never shedded any when I bought my 02 911 X50|6MT w/43k Miles for $37k. All depends on how desperate the seller is and if you flash cash in there face.
Indeed. Picked up my 01 tt w/ 61k miles in need of some TLC for 32k in May. Well below asking price, but cash talks...

Old 10-13-2011, 01:44 AM
mikegr is on a distinguished road
You sell cheap, you buy cheap. That's the way it goes these days for luxury cars. And this is worldwide.

Old 10-13-2011, 07:52 AM
pumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Steve Theodore
Originally Posted by pumptech
You cannot compare our 996TTs with 993TTs due to build numbers. Those cars are rarer, pure and simple. Ours are the first of the mass produced turbos and, although we love them more than anyone, they will never be as rare as the 993TTs. It's just simple supply and demand when you compare them.
Im just suggesting that the low mile well kept 996's will beome more and more rare as the years go on and have some point where they appreciate vs the high mileage trash left over. Even now i would proportionately pay more for an 02 with 25000 than an 04 40000 miles, and thats still only 5000/year. If i buy a used porsche, mileage is a major factor over age. I agree they wont be as rare as the 993's regarding production numbers. But there are always going to be people collecting porsches.

Old 10-13-2011, 08:47 AM
c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by vntperformance
VNT, assuming the car was in good shape and didn't need much of anything, that was an insanely good deal for you (and opposite for the seller ). Other 6-speed X50's with similar mileage have been trading hands in the mid-upper 40's - mid-upper 50's over the last year or two, depending on condition and circumstances. You bought very well.

I don't remember for sure, but are you one of the buyers who bought from someone who didn't even know the car was an X50? I know that's happened from time to time, judging from posts here and elsewhere.

Old 10-13-2011, 08:58 AM
GaFFLe is just really niceGaFFLe is just really niceGaFFLe is just really niceGaFFLe is just really nice
Originally Posted by Tpup
I just got a trade number on mine from a Porsche deal. I have an 01 TT with 6K miles on it; concours winner. I'm the original owner, the car is perfect with all service records etc. Wanted to trade on a new turbo cab. They offered me $32K.
I guarantee they'll turn around (after having their technicians give it a quick PPI) and sell that same vehicle for at least $54k. A local dealer here in Atlanta just sold an '01 996TT with 9995k miles for around $55k.

Old 10-13-2011, 03:33 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
The market does seem to have leveled somewhat...and I agree the 996 and 993 are two different breeds appealing to two different sets of buyers...that said I think the '01 996TT are the bargain basement best deals, in '02 the chassis was stiffer and significant ops systems changes were made to the turbo, also the X50 was introduced...I think '02 - '05 will stabilize faster, with the GT2 and GT3 cars keeping it's value at a certain level followed by the Turbo S cab and rarer coupe, then the X50 cars and then finally the '01 cars. Eventually though the 996 Metzger GT1 powered cars will have their place and I think the prices will not go down much further and are rallying to some degree...of course you can argue build numbers, etc...there are many factors and there will always be outliers which are to be taken on a case by case basis on the low end and high end...

Old 10-13-2011, 03:40 PM
c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sunir
The market does seem to have leveled somewhat...and I agree the 996 and 993 are two different breeds appealing to two different sets of buyers...that said I think the '01 996TT are the bargain basement best deals, in '02 the chassis was stiffer and significant ops systems changes were made to the turbo, also the X50 was introduced...I think '02 - '05 will stabilize faster, with the GT2 and GT3 cars keeping it's value at a certain level followed by the Turbo S cab and rarer coupe, then the X50 cars and then finally the '01 cars. Eventually though the 996 Metzger GT1 powered cars will have their place and I think the prices will not go down much further and are rallying to some degree...of course you can argue build numbers, etc...there are many factors and there will always be outliers which are to be taken on a case by case basis on the low end and high end...
Good post... I also think you tend to see prices fade a bit before winter, then bounce a bit in the spring...

Old 10-13-2011, 10:59 PM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM
Good post... I also think you tend to see prices fade a bit before winter, then bounce a bit in the spring...
i agree with that. it's difficult for me to reconcile that i was just paid out $59k for my '02x50, and then bought a modded higher mileage '03 for $42k and that is now nearly top $$ for the car. it's a significant pricing variant, and that's just my experience in the last few months. as many have said, they're aging, and the 991 intro won't help.

Old 10-14-2011, 02:03 AM
Duane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond repute
The maintenance costs, while not crazy, are still high enough to have an impact on resale value. Mods do not add value (and may actually decrease it). Low miles with a good maintenance history seems to be the key to retaining resale value.

Old 10-14-2011, 05:47 AM
LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sunir
What he said ^
996 Turbos will stabilize in the $30's (pretty much where 01-02's are right now). Porsche made a ton of them. By the time they were done producing them in 05, they had made more 996TT's than 993TT, 964T and 930's combined.
Right now a decent 930 will cost you high $30's to $50's depending on mileage (year is not so important)
A decent 964T will cost you low $40's to $150k ($150k for the super rare Turbo S's)
And a decent 993TT will cost you anywhere from high $50's to $180k for a low mileage Turbo S (again super rare).
996 Turbo S's, while more rare than other 996TT cars will not be considered as special as the previous cars due to the fact that they are really not that rare.
A 996TT in the $30k range is the best Porsche bang for the buck around.
The are more reliable and perform significantly better than their older aircooled brothers but as supply and demand plays a huge role here.
Porsche was in big trouble in the mid 90's when the 993TT came out and once they got their stuff together, they struck while the iron was hot with the 996 series and the market wanted more. Can't blame them.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 996TT pricing - has the bleeding stopped yet?