996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Turbo Twist Wheel Color Opinions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 02:17 PM
tscales is a splendid one to beholdtscales is a splendid one to beholdtscales is a splendid one to beholdtscales is a splendid one to beholdtscales is a splendid one to beholdtscales is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by mod mike
i did mine flat black. it looked cheep IMO because it still retained the stock Look with the rims, but didn't pull off the aftermarket i was hoping for.. if you know what i mean?
As I recall the black factory turbo twists were pretty pricey as an option, weren't they? Just curious as mine came with them.

Old 10-22-2011, 03:27 PM
mod mike has a spectacular aura aboutmod mike has a spectacular aura aboutmod mike has a spectacular aura about
i powder coated mine so i can't say how much they were, i bought the car used..

Old 12-23-2011, 11:25 PM
Aerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant future
Thanks for everyone's advice. As an update, I got the wheels painted seal grey (matching the car) and they turned out well. I haven't mounted them on the car yet. Now I have to decide what to do about the center caps. What do you think? Color matched (seal grey), black or red? Also, the crest can be traditional, silver, or just raised but all one color. So many choices to consider....

Old 12-23-2011, 11:31 PM
tphss is a glorious beacon of lighttphss is a glorious beacon of lighttphss is a glorious beacon of lighttphss is a glorious beacon of lighttphss is a glorious beacon of light
I think definitely paint the center caps matching the wheel with seal gray.

Old 12-24-2011, 10:22 AM
MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !
It's going to look great on your car. I say match the same but black should look okay too.

Old 12-24-2011, 10:39 AM
Aerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant future
Yes -- color match or black would be the more obvious choices. Just for fun, I painted a piece of cardboard red to see how it would look. Of course, if I wanted to be bold, I would have painted the whole wheel red!

Old 12-24-2011, 11:24 AM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
Looking great bud! As for centercaps I'd go seal as well... I have seal gray factory crest centers on the gt2 and it looks good to me

Old 12-26-2011, 09:52 AM
tgsmith4845 is a jewel in the roughtgsmith4845 is a jewel in the roughtgsmith4845 is a jewel in the roughtgsmith4845 is a jewel in the rough
Nice looking wheels. Love the color match Seal Gray. I would keep the center caps the same color, maybe with a silver Porsche emblem. I've got gloss black turbo twists on my TT, but it's carmon red, so a different look altogether.

If you're still looking to get a pinstripe around the edge, check out S-Car-Go website. They've got a guy who does a great job, typically matching the calipers.

Old 12-26-2011, 09:55 AM
tgsmith4845 is a jewel in the roughtgsmith4845 is a jewel in the roughtgsmith4845 is a jewel in the roughtgsmith4845 is a jewel in the rough
Anyone know a good powder-coater in Nor Cal? I'm up in Marin. Just got an extra set of hollow spokes for the track. They're normal gray/silver now, but thinking of getting them powder-coated in gloss black like my street wheels.

Suggestions on what would look best on a Carmon Red 996TT Cab?

Old 12-26-2011, 12:26 PM
hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !
Looking for center caps for Turbo Twist wheels

Just got a nice set of 18" Turbo Twists from a fellow 6-speeder. and I am looking to get them refinished and painted. So am I watching all of your suggestions. Interesting. I am now looking for center caps and lugnuts (with a lock and key) and perhaps some spacers that work on the standard Twists for my 996T. PM me if you have a set laying around. Merci beaucoup!!

Last edited by hroussard; 12-26-2011 at 12:30 PM. Reason: more detail
Old 12-26-2011, 05:50 PM
Originally Posted by hroussard
Just got a nice set of 18" Turbo Twists from a fellow 6-speeder. and I am looking to get them refinished and painted. So am I watching all of your suggestions. Interesting. I am now looking for center caps and lugnuts (with a lock and key) and perhaps some spacers that work on the standard Twists for my 996T. PM me if you have a set laying around. Merci beaucoup!!
I ordered a set of black center caps I found on eBay. I'll probably get my current set of caps that came with the wheels painted (red or seal). Why do you need spacers? Did your wheels come from a different car or are you looking to just push them out a bit?

Old 12-26-2011, 05:54 PM
Xander is just really niceXander is just really niceXander is just really niceXander is just really nice
The seal looks much better than I thought it would, but the center cap red looks like a clown nose in the picture.

x...

Old 12-26-2011, 06:10 PM
Originally Posted by Xander
The seal looks much better than I thought it would, but the center cap red looks like a clown nose in the picture.

x...
Good point. Actually, I was worried it would look more like Rudolph. Of course, that is just a test piece of cardboard. If the caps were painted red it would have the logo. I'm leaning towards seal for the center caps. Then I'll have the choice between seal and black.

Old 12-26-2011, 06:43 PM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
Red if and only if the whole wheel is red.....imho. I went for a fun approach.... Wheels were powdercoated. I used masking tape to cover up my crests and just used red caliper paint (for heat control) epoxy spray paint for the center caps. YMMV.

The fun factor went way, way up.

Jeff

Attached Images   

Last edited by jcb-memphis; 12-26-2011 at 06:49 PM.
Old 12-26-2011, 06:57 PM
Originally Posted by jcb-memphis
Red if and only if the whole wheel is red.....imho. I went for a fun approach.... Wheels were powdercoated. I used masking tape to cover up my crests and just used red caliper paint (for heat control) epoxy spray paint for the center caps. YMMV.

The fun factor went way, way up.

Jeff
Very nice. Wish I saw this picture earlier.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Turbo Twist Wheel Color Opinions