996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

To sway or not to sway :)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 10:31 AM
rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by LCatGA
Guys - again - I have a GT2 - not 911
Gt2 has it's own very different adjustable sway bars

My question is not about using aftermarket on 911 TT but on GT2
Relax man.....they'll help you

Old 10-24-2011, 12:24 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
Guys - again - I have a GT2 - not 911
Gt2 has it's own very different adjustable sway bars

My question is not about using aftermarket on 911 TT but on GT2
why do you want to upgrade suspension and sways on a GT2 that you want to drive on the street...if you keep it on the street the factory GT2 suspension and sway bars are fine. remember when you start messing with adjustable parts if you don't get seat time on a track with a team of experts to help you set the car up, you are not likely to gain any advantage from an aftermaret adj suspension be it dampers or sway bar changes. I say keep it simple and set the factory bar to where you feel good about the turn in and transient cornering response for the street that's really all that's needed, the GT2 is extemely capable as it comes, putting KW or motons or changing the bars or whatever will not make it any faster or handle better if you cannot properly adjust it or do not have the track experience or time and resources to work to dial it in.

Old 10-24-2011, 12:39 PM
LCatGA is a splendid one to beholdLCatGA is a splendid one to beholdLCatGA is a splendid one to beholdLCatGA is a splendid one to beholdLCatGA is a splendid one to beholdLCatGA is a splendid one to beholdLCatGA is a splendid one to behold
I will be setting it on the track and street and with additional help

I'm not concerned about setting it up right - more concerned about geting base which I will set up right

Old 10-24-2011, 04:11 PM
MrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond repute
I will be setting it on the track and street and with additional help

I'm not concerned about setting it up right - more concerned about geting base which I will set up right
TT or GT2 the bars fit the same frame and rear crossbar, and they are adjustable if you are already unhappy with the GT2 behavior - how now that happened if you never tracked it yet. GT2 is a heavier than GT3 too, not only the TT. Trying to keep it short and help you stop fumbling in the dark. You can probably check the Eiback application sheet to see if there's a different part number for the GT2 or TT set.

PS to being really correct in light of heavychevy's info, the GT3 bar DOES fit. I just don't like how it doesn't align as neatly, and will bind with OEM droplinks. Especially one end it sits horrible and hits the driveshafts (can't remember if front or rear). With Eibach Racing they are designed to use use stock links and it's designed to fit. I used them on PSS9 and on KW V3, both examples never broke one of them. Rode all kinds of rideheights from ultra low to stock height, I let the chassis work too, but I suppose bc I used swaybars designed for the chassis I didn't get weird binding loads to break any link.

I drive 2WD w Carbonetic LSD and as light as possible.

Last edited by MrWhite; 10-24-2011 at 07:18 PM.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:41 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
This guy is a trip. Ask a question, then won't listen to the answers.

Old 10-24-2011, 11:20 PM
LCatGA is a splendid one to beholdLCatGA is a splendid one to beholdLCatGA is a splendid one to beholdLCatGA is a splendid one to beholdLCatGA is a splendid one to beholdLCatGA is a splendid one to beholdLCatGA is a splendid one to behold
I guess I did not made myself clear - my appology
My question is this

I have a Gt2 with stock GT2 adjustable sway bars which are better sway bars then 996 Turbo.

Is there and aftermarket sway bars which are better than GT2 stock adjustable for 996 platform.

I know what there are sway bars which will greatly benefit regular 911 TT

Only vendors who suggested to get sway bars are GMG and VividRacing

Everybody else have sad what H&R or Ebach sway bars provide no benefit over factory GT2 bar in GT2 application.

I'm intrested in opinion of people who upgraded GT2 sway bars to aftermarket

Thank you

Old 10-25-2011, 06:18 AM
Terminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant future
It's all about thickness, weight and adjustability.

Old 10-25-2011, 06:24 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
What we are trying to get across to you is that there is no definite better. Suspension setup is a conglomerate of things, sways work with alignment that works with dampers that works with springs. And all of that still can feel different from one person to the next pending driving style. Your stock sway bars are among the best around for these cars. So the advice is to try them first and see if you like hoe the car handles, that's what anyone should do. Then make changes based on what you feel is insufficient. No one can tell you what you will or won't like because everyone does not like the same thing, that is why you will not get a finite answer because the different setups that may work are many.

Some people like eibach, some like gmg, some like tpc, some like Porsche adjustable, but it will take some trial and error to find what works best for you.

Old 10-25-2011, 07:25 AM
Terminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by heavychevy
What we are trying to get across to you is that there is no definite better. Suspension setup is a conglomerate of things, sways work with alignment that works with dampers that works with springs. And all of that still can feel different from one person to the next pending driving style. Your stock sway bars are among the best around for these cars. So the advice is to try them first and see if you like hoe the car handles, that's what anyone should do. Then make changes based on what you feel is insufficient. No one can tell you what you will or won't like because everyone does not like the same thing, that is why you will not get a finite answer because the different setups that may work are many.

Some people like eibach, some like gmg, some like tpc, some like Porsche adjustable, but it will take some trial and error to find what works best for you.
I second that.

Old 10-25-2011, 07:50 AM
tvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud of
Well I for one will not try and dissuade you from a mod!

Go for the Tarett blades!

http://www.tarett.com/items/996-997-products/996-997-suspension/996-997-swaybars~drop-links/997-rear-swaybar-assy-detail.htm

Tom

Old 10-25-2011, 08:22 AM
rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MrWhite
TT or GT2 the bars fit the same frame and rear crossbar, and they are adjustable if you are already unhappy with the GT2 behavior - how now that happened if you never tracked it yet. GT2 is a heavier than GT3 too, not only the TT. Trying to keep it short and help you stop fumbling in the dark. You can probably check the Eiback application sheet to see if there's a different part number for the GT2 or TT set.

PS to being really correct in light of heavychevy's info, the GT3 bar DOES fit. I just don't like how it doesn't align as neatly, and will bind with OEM droplinks. Especially one end it sits horrible and hits the driveshafts (can't remember if front or rear). With Eibach Racing they are designed to use use stock links and it's designed to fit. I used them on PSS9 and on KW V3, both examples never broke one of them. Rode all kinds of rideheights from ultra low to stock height, I let the chassis work too, but I suppose bc I used swaybars designed for the chassis I didn't get weird binding loads to break any link.

I drive 2WD w Carbonetic LSD and as light as possible.

Sorry OP.Mr.White is that you on the pictures here ?,that car looks nice and very well set up.

Old 10-25-2011, 10:29 AM
MrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rdss
Sorry OP.Mr.White is that you on the pictures here ?,that car looks nice and very well set up.
Thx! That was my car (-02). I had it wrapped white after a while to protect the silver paint (see avatar), however then it was stolen.

The reason I posted those is bc seeing is believing: it's no pussyfooting around going on and I never broke an OEM droplink, bc I used a top notch product that fits, and it's one of the best for track use. Hit up one of the track laptime threads for reference.

If you believe in GMG for another example, GMG use a modified version of the Eibach Racing bars with added adjustablility. I guess it depends on different tire selection, tire sizes, other spring rates. I never needed any more settings but if you go a different route than I did, they offer even more adjustments, based of one of the very best products there is, whether you want to upgrade a 996TT, 996 GT3 or GT2.

Blade swaybars is a different story altogether and can give you adjustability from inside the car which is a huge advantage if you do a ton of changes in a cramped raceweekend, or run long racestints from full to empty tank.

However in the end, if you don't know what you are trying to accomplish on you car's setup by getting other swaybars, why even bother changing them.

Last edited by MrWhite; 10-25-2011 at 10:31 AM.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:45 AM
I remember that moment when you lost your fine race car,that was very sad.

The best luck with the new one.

Agree with you about setting a car,your way of driving makes a huge deference without changing any part.I have drove very well seted cars of very good drivers and it's a mess for me....i din't needed to change any thing... just setting.....and most of the times works fine.

Old 10-26-2011, 07:45 AM
Etchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond repute
I rode in my buddies (VID997) Champion 997tt and it handles fantastically. It has clearly been setup correctly for high speed track runs. I gave pss9, trg drops, 1" lowered, spacers and Cup tires, corner balanced/aligned. Suspension is set to 4 and 4 with stock sways. I think sways is a investment that needs to happen. My car seems a bit floaty and loose over high speed turns. Could be that I need to dial down (stiffer) suspension as well.

You really need to know cause-effect when doing any of these mods and proper seat time is crucial. Good luck OP, but the fact that you have a GT2- your car is probably pretty well sorted already. Drive and enjoy-

Old 10-28-2011, 08:09 PM
Originally Posted by Etchhead

You really need to know cause-effect when doing any of these mods and proper seat time is crucial. Good luck OP, but the fact that you have a GT2- your car is probably pretty well sorted already. Drive and enjoy-
As a recent turn of events shown us - that was not a case.

Moreover speaking with my friend at GMG - in his opinion alligment/suspension setup on all US Gt2 was wrong as they have been set to higher ride height
This is a main reason people called them Widowmakers

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: To sway or not to sway :)