996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Dilemma. Keep my Turbo or sell it and get a Boss 302

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 06:48 PM
XPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to behold
Will do I am very curious how the lap times will compare to the GT3

Peter

Old 12-13-2011, 07:05 AM
XPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to behold
Sebring report

Boss 302 slightly modded. Brake cooling and Hawk DTC 70/60 pads, Steeda springs which are stiffer than stock and slightly lower the rear. Stock Pirelli PZero tires which are OK but not as good as the usual AD08 I run for street tires.

Only got 2 dry sessions then it rained and 2 wet sessions so I was still getting familiar with car and it had more to give. Car hooked up well and the rear did nothing scary, was able to get on the power out of turn 17 with bumps and had a good slip angle but very comfortable feeling. Brakes worked with no fade and engine was flawless, other than being a gas hog. Shifter could use some work as I had trouble finding 5th several times but there are some options available to address this. My best time was 2:37 and had a 2:35 going into turn 17 when I caught a pitting car and had to back off. A good set of street tires and I think I could get into the 2:32 range and a better driver could crack a sub 2:30. All in all I was impressed. However the 6GT3 is not for sale.

Peter

Old 12-13-2011, 04:41 PM
Darth GF is on a distinguished road
The point about devaluation is moot. The Mustang is at the very most expensive it'll ever be while the 996tt is pretty close to its absolute lowest. Just by driving the Mustang off the lot will take probably 5000$ off its price...

The mustang is probably a good drive, but I can't imagine it drives as good as a 996tt. Like a few said before, it's a 140,000$+ Supercar, you can't go wrong...

If you go with the Mustang though, you can always buy another 996tt down the line so it's not too bad either.

Old 12-13-2011, 04:46 PM
vrracr is on a distinguished road
keep the P-car!

Old 12-13-2011, 07:01 PM
jakeskiny is on a distinguished road
Move on

Reading your thread, it sounds like you are tired of the "work" involved in keeping your TT. Believe me, I feel your pain! High maintenance costs, cool down time and inconvenient dealer locations definitely take away from the joys of ownership. Maybe, it's time to move on to another car for awhile to try something new (different car and warranty). It sounds like your lifestyle has outgrown the TT... which is not a bad thing.

Old 12-13-2011, 08:00 PM
Darth GF is on a distinguished road
For the cool down, can't you just hook up a turbo timer??

Old 12-15-2011, 03:46 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
IMO, put the presitge aspect aside...

Drive these car's, whichever moves you most, and then seems suitable for your driving needs (kid's, out with wife for dinner, etc) go for....

I would not go from a Turbo to a Boss Mustang.. Just not an american fan, and I just hate the way they feel and drive... Personally! Not to say it isn't fast, or doesn't handle well, but it's just not for me.

A guy I know who has had GT3's, GT2's, every model cup for the past 8 year's recently got a boss laguna seca mustang... He likes it a lot, but, not enough to keep it ! And he said it will never replace his Porsche's, or his Audi Rv10!

Old 12-15-2011, 04:24 PM
hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !
Merikan Mussle

Sorry to say but this retro look for all these new Fords, Chrysler cars and GM's does not do it for me. It's like they ran out of ideas ... again... in the middle of their design sessions (or even before) Back to the future for me does not cut it. It's Deja Vu. A car with a transverse leaf spring (no matter how well it works) is not up to snuff and neither is a rigid rear axle. Furthermore, the proportions of practically all these muscle cars are way out of whack and they just don't look ... well, like a hot sexy woman a la Brigitte Bardot or any other nimble 110 pounder that leaves you with weak knees and a pounding heart. They all look like your Aunt in some ways.. complete with apron. American Designers just don't have it . Bangle Bumble butt etal sets us back ten year each time they release one of those monstrocities. My 2 euro's on this.

Old 12-15-2011, 09:34 PM
Hogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond repute
I like the Dodge and think they did a great job of modernizing the look of the Challenger. Yes they could upgrade some of the stuff mentioned but for 45 to 50K new why are you comparing it to 150 to 160K new?
The Viper, ZR1, and Ford GT showed that American built cars can compete and win. That would be a better comparison to the Porsche Turbo.

Old 12-15-2011, 10:32 PM
Etahgnimusnoc will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by AlexN
If you are set on getting rid of the TT look into a used C63.
It has all the tourque the M3 is lacking and is a sedan so easy to get in and out with the kids
agreed

Old 12-16-2011, 10:41 AM
VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by S4Drifter
Flamesuit is on and I know it sounds like sacrilege but...

I won't wax on about how great the Turbo is. I'd be preaching to the choir, I just thought I'd share some of my reasons for considering a Boss 302.
My Turbo now has 56k on the clock. I just had a new clutch installed, radiators and 60k service done. Car is in tip top shape. However, the aforementioned service items cost me $5k. My Turbo is a weekend toy with maybe one HPDE per year. Otherwise its the fun car in the family. My kids like to ride in the back, and my wife and I like to take it when just the two of us go out.

Here are the problems I have with the Turbo.
1. Its expensive to maintain. I take care of mine, and maybe the big ticket items are now out of the way, but I can't keep putting that kind of money into the car.

2. The nearest dealer is an hour a way and so is my Indy. neither offer loaners, so service visits are a major inconvenience.

3. I live in a small town. If you've been driving for 15 minutes you missed where you were going. Turbo warm up and cool down seriously cut into my enjoyment. Feel like an ***, idling at a gas pump and every other destination on my errand list for two minutes while the turbos cool.

4. Finally, I am at 56k miles. I think it is already considered a high mileage car by this board, but something about a car over 60k I think will hurt resale more.

The Boss 302 is naturally aspirated, cheap to maintain, will be brand new and carry a full warranty. It is track ready in stock form (like our cars) and should not depreciate as bad, given its limited run. There is a local dealer 5 minutes from my house. All the same qualities I liked in my former C5 Z06. In fact I would consider a Z06 again, but I want back seats for the kids. It maximizes how often I can take the car out.

I know, its interior sucks, it has a live rear axle, and does not have the cache and reputation of the Turbo. I don't care about the image thing. In fact, here in Upstate NY driving the Ford will get more smiles than the Turbo.

I also considered a used M3. But I test drove one (it was a convertibly FWIW) and was dissapointed by the lack of lower and mid-range torque. Maybe there is something else I should be considering.

I figure I can get between $45 and $50k for my car and a new Boss is $43k and I could get a used/certified M3 with 20k miles for about $48k.

I Appreciate any thoughts, insights, insults and requisite derogatory comments about my momma
Is this a real question or can I expect Ashton Kutcher to jump out on this one? Where is the dilemma? That is almost as silly as:
"let's see, do I get a BJ from this really hot chick or get an early start on my taxes?"

All joking aside they are two different cars. Decide which one fits your needs most.

Old 12-16-2011, 10:58 AM
Cannonball996 Is a GOD !Cannonball996 Is a GOD !Cannonball996 Is a GOD !Cannonball996 Is a GOD !Cannonball996 Is a GOD !Cannonball996 Is a GOD !Cannonball996 Is a GOD !Cannonball996 Is a GOD !Cannonball996 Is a GOD !Cannonball996 Is a GOD !Cannonball996 Is a GOD !
to me the new 302 just did not feel like a "drivers car", I did not like the interior, the seating position, granted the car had a bunch of options that I am sure some people like, but that sort of thing has never appealed to me.

but if the new mustang is appealing, why not consider a vintage mustang? same style, and you can get a really prime example for $30K, and likely sell it for more after you have had your fun with it.

Old 12-17-2011, 09:59 AM
VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !
my wife has a new mustang. I have a M3, RX8, and modded C5...even the rx8 is words better than a mustang. Drive one and you will slap yourself for even wanting one. They vibrate, rattles all over the cabin, built poorly, and just boring and heavy pigs...you will be dissapointed

Old 12-17-2011, 10:18 AM
Aerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant future
I faced a similar question a few years back when I was deciding what to get next. Based on approximately the same price range, it was down to a new or relatively new C6 or an older P-car (early 997S or 996TT). I test drove many cars and was even leaning towards the C6 such that I rented one out for the weekend. Well, you know the end result. Although the C6 had better stats and was newer, it just didn't have the refinement and feel that I was interested in for the long haul. I definitely saw myself in a C6 (and enjoying it) for a few years, but I wasn't sure it would hold up and that I wouldn't be looking at a Porshce and thinking "I should have gotten that." One of the key tests for me was to look at the condition of a 10-15 year-old P-car compared to the C6 -- no comparison.

Also, maybe it was about the subtlety for me (and I recognize that everyone is different). I wanted fast, performance and refinement, without having to scream "look at me!" at the top of my lungs. The P-car does that for me.

Finally, you can't go wrong the P-car community we have here. I haven't checked out the other sites -- but just saying....

I'm sure you'll be happy with whatever you decide. Good luck!

Old 01-10-2012, 07:45 AM
nota_troll will become famous soon enoughnota_troll will become famous soon enough
Resurrecting this thread. Interesting and timely, because I'm thinking the same thing. I'm a Porsche apologist and I really like American cars. I for one am glad American cars are no longer punch lines. Give the US manufacturers their credit for finally producing cars that people actually desire, maybe not in this community, but they are really good cars.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Dilemma. Keep my Turbo or sell it and get a Boss 302