996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

996tt X50 or 997tt? Opinions please...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 10:08 PM
LiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond repute
Ill sell you my 996tt for much less then $57K but only if you tell me where I can find the 997tt for $60K !

Old 01-04-2012, 10:41 PM
Hams996TT is infamous around these partsHams996TT is infamous around these parts
I am going to go against what has been said here and say that given your two choices presented, I would select the 996tt over the 997tt. Here's a few reasons for thought. You mentioned that you are **** retentive about cosmetics. The 996tt you are describing sounds very meticulously cared for and that is something to appreciate. I suspect the 997's cosmetic issues might really bug you over time, whereas the 996 is clean and needs nothing cosmetically. Secondly, you also stated you wanted to get your hands dirty and work on a car. Let me just say that is IMHO much more enjoyable to start with a cleaner canvas of a car and work on something you want to tinker with to upgrade as opposed to spending wrench time and money to refresh a car that has the issues described in the 997tt. A 996tt is a fantastic car and based on your mod desires, will give you little to no trouble if you maintain it.

I agree that the interior of a 997tt, when in near-new condition, is nicer than a 996tt, but please don't make the assumption that the 996tt interior isn't nice. It is a very nice quality interior, especially in one that would be like you are describing. I think I would select the nicer interior of the low mileage quality 996tt over a heavily worn 997tt interior.

In the end, if you're going to spend the money, buy something really special for yourself. To me, the 996tt you've found sounds like a special car, and the 997tt sounds like a well worn car ready to be handed down by it's owner. If you really want a 997tt, settle yourself to that end and spend the money to get one just as special.

For my personal search, I ended up buying a really special highly optioned oddball 996tt with 9K miles at a very reasonable price. My friends were really pushing me towards spending similar money to buy a higher mileage 997tt, but in the end, I am happy that I purchased something really special to me.

If you decide to go the 996tt route, I do agree that the price is a little high, but not too high. I suspect you might be able to strike a deal around $52K for that car.

Best of luck to you sir.

- Chris

Attached Images   
Old 01-05-2012, 06:02 AM
Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by NOLA911
997tt all day long. It's faster, newer, better technology, better resale, better finish, more desireable, updated body.

Also, the 997tt is a great deal at 60k, the 996tt is overpriced at 57k
I couldn't have said it better myself.

Later, Steve

Old 01-05-2012, 07:14 AM
Darth GF is infamous around these parts
It seems like the 997tt has been abused, at least cosmetically. Now, that obviously brings up the question: what else has been abused? I think the price reflects the overall condition of that 997tt car pretty well. It's the lowest asking price I've seen for a 997tt. I'm sure that's why many think it's a screeming deal (me included).

Personnally, I'd rather pay more to get a better condition 997tt.

That 996tt sounds like a very well maintained car. Price might be a bit high, but then it should be, because it is in pristine condition. You basically buy a brand new 996tt for 1/3rd the price.

Can you get extended warranty on any of those cars? That would probably help make up my mind, either way.

Old 01-05-2012, 10:43 AM
Ajs76 is infamous around these parts
60k for a 997TT is a steal. At that price, you could afford to throw in new seats, respray bumpers etc. and still be wayyy under the cost most 997TT's.

I would get a really good PPI on that thing - check the paint all the way around etc. I have a hard time believing that car hasn't been through something.

Old 01-05-2012, 12:37 PM
gesundlich is infamous around these partsgesundlich is infamous around these parts
Thanks for the replies.

I think I've decided to pass on the 996 X50. I'm going forward on a 997tt. Now, which one ?

The 60k car is a screaming deal and optioned the way I would have (with the exception of the rear locking differential). I had a PPI performed yesterday on the car with the expected findings (i.e. needs a 60k service: fluids, plugs, etc.), needs front brake pads, front spoiler MIA, a few rock chips, seat bolster wear, TPMS batteries need replaced... basically, it needs around $1500 worth of normal maintenance given the current mileage, not counting the seat/cosmetic defects. No mechanical issues were noted. I'm waiting to hear back from the tech who examined the car to feel out his gestalt.

Since starting this thread, I've also started looking into lower mileage examples. I'd REALLY like a CPO car and some type of warranty, at least for a year or two. Trouble is, that's probably going to add an extra 20k and push me near the cost of a 2012 GT-R. I'm not sure I'm going to get enough added value for that 20k over the 60k 997tt I'm currently looking at.

Old 01-05-2012, 01:12 PM
hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !
Cool

Originally Posted by Hams996TT
I am going to go against what has been said here and say that given your two choices presented, I would select the 996tt over the 997tt. Here's a few reasons for thought. You mentioned that you are **** retentive about cosmetics. The 996tt you are describing sounds very meticulously cared for and that is something to appreciate. I suspect the 997's cosmetic issues might really bug you over time, whereas the 996 is clean and needs nothing cosmetically. Secondly, you also stated you wanted to get your hands dirty and work on a car. Let me just say that is IMHO much more enjoyable to start with a cleaner canvas of a car and work on something you want to tinker with to upgrade as opposed to spending wrench time and money to refresh a car that has the issues described in the 997tt. A 996tt is a fantastic car and based on your mod desires, will give you little to no trouble if you maintain it.

I agree that the interior of a 997tt, when in near-new condition, is nicer than a 996tt, but please don't make the assumption that the 996tt interior isn't nice. It is a very nice quality interior, especially in one that would be like you are describing. I think I would select the nicer interior of the low mileage quality 996tt over a heavily worn 997tt interior.

In the end, if you're going to spend the money, buy something really special for yourself. To me, the 996tt you've found sounds like a special car, and the 997tt sounds like a well worn car ready to be handed down by it's owner. If you really want a 997tt, settle yourself to that end and spend the money to get one just as special.

For my personal search, I ended up buying a really special highly optioned oddball 996tt with 9K miles at a very reasonable price. My friends were really pushing me towards spending similar money to buy a higher mileage 997tt, but in the end, I am happy that I purchased something really special to me.

If you decide to go the 996tt route, I do agree that the price is a little high, but not too high. I suspect you might be able to strike a deal around $52K for that car.

Best of luck to you sir.

- Chris
Agree with Chris... and I believe that the 996T prices are going up so 57K may be a realistic price for such a mint car. On the 997 PCCB brakes - pads are basically worn out?? Hmm. somebody is braking with a heavy foot ( perhaps even two feet)..

Old 01-05-2012, 01:15 PM
Ajs76 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by gesundlich
Thanks for the replies.

I think I've decided to pass on the 996 X50. I'm going forward on a 997tt. Now, which one ?

The 60k car is a screaming deal and optioned the way I would have (with the exception of the rear locking differential). I had a PPI performed yesterday on the car with the expected findings (i.e. needs a 60k service: fluids, plugs, etc.), needs front brake pads, front spoiler MIA, a few rock chips, seat bolster wear, TPMS batteries need replaced... basically, it needs around $1500 worth of normal maintenance given the current mileage, not counting the seat/cosmetic defects. No mechanical issues were noted. I'm waiting to hear back from the tech who examined the car to feel out his gestalt.

Since starting this thread, I've also started looking into lower mileage examples. I'd REALLY like a CPO car and some type of warranty, at least for a year or two. Trouble is, that's probably going to add an extra 20k and push me near the cost of a 2012 GT-R. I'm not sure I'm going to get enough added value for that 20k over the 60k 997tt I'm currently looking at.

Easycare warranties are the best in the business and a lot of guys here have had succcess with them. I think on the high end they are like 5-6k.

It might be easier getting a semi high mileage car with that then trying to find a deal on a CPO.

Old 01-05-2012, 01:40 PM
gesundlich is infamous around these partsgesundlich is infamous around these parts
Well, I've posted in a member's "FS" thread on here re: a low mileage 07, CPO with the coolest interior I've seen to date (Terracotta). Everything I want minus PCCB (not a deal breaker... It won't see too much track time). 84k asking... hmmmmm.....

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...04-2013-a.html

Opinions? Priced reasonably?

Old 01-05-2012, 01:44 PM
spineguy is infamous around these parts
take it from someone that can not stretch into a 997, i would get into a 997 if I could. Obviously, if the car checks out... 997 all the way.

Old 01-05-2012, 01:47 PM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
basically, it needs around $1500 worth of normal maintenance given the current mileage, not counting the seat/cosmetic defects. No mechanical issues were noted. I'm waiting to hear back from the tech who examined the car to feel out his gestalt.

Since starting this thread, I've also started looking into lower mileage examples. I'd REALLY like a CPO car and some type of warranty, at least for a year or two.
$1500.00, how close was i? lol. big up on the 997t. i was in a similar spot last summer looking at relatively high mileage 997.1tt's to replace my crashed x50. however i opted for the modded 996tt to replace, since that's what made more sense for me at the time. i couldn't be happier with my decision.. except with a low mileage pristine 997t, WITH CPO! agree with you again, 100%. if you're gonna get a 997t, pay the premium for a cpo'd car.

the car i wanted would have cost me $85k easy, while my 03 996t cost me only $42k, and still adrenalizes me daily.

Hams996TT is infamous around these partsHams996TT is infamous around these parts
Nice car. Too bad it's not slate grey, it would be a twin to my car!

hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !
Cool

Well, I've posted in a member's "FS" thread on here re: a low mileage 07, CPO with the coolest interior I've seen to date (Terracotta). Everything I want minus PCCB (not a deal breaker... It won't see too much track time). 84k asking... hmmmmm.....

My "old" 996 used to have the -what I call" boxter red" interior . AWESOME.. Now.. do understand that... when it is time to sell, you may have fewer potential buyers... but then :-) you only need one !!

Old 01-05-2012, 02:01 PM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !

i had recently seen this same listing and drooled over it, and i'm not even in the market! i'd ****** that sh*t in a heartbeat, if i were. you've gotta check it out further.

Old 01-05-2012, 02:07 PM
Not purchasing with the intent to sell any time soon . Although your point is taken. I think I actually gasped a bit when I saw that interior! Love silver exterior... easy to keep clean (or least look like it's clean). I'm going to call him tonight and see what he has to say...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 996tt X50 or 997tt? Opinions please...