996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

My new Turbo!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 12:55 AM
Banned
BMWm1 is on a distinguished road
Great color combo also pretty well timed shot by nailing a celeb owned 996tt.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:42 AM
DucS4Rs is on a distinguished road
Congrats from another former S4 owner. I loved my Avant but compared to the 996TT, well it isn't a comparison.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:58 AM
hph
hph is on a distinguished road
Congrats on the TT! Car looks great and I am also a lover of seal grey .. used to have a C2 in that color and thought it's one of the best colors for 996 bodies. Can't wait to see more pics!

Old 02-28-2012, 05:16 PM
Banned
Sql_pl is a splendid one to beholdSql_pl is a splendid one to beholdSql_pl is a splendid one to beholdSql_pl is a splendid one to beholdSql_pl is a splendid one to beholdSql_pl is a splendid one to beholdSql_pl is a splendid one to behold
So it looks like you have similar mods to my car, Gemballa flash and Exhaust. Please let me know how much boost you get once you get to drive it for a bit!

http://www.streetfire.net/video/top-gear-season-18-episode-2_2371372.htm
He talks about your car at around 8:00 in segment 4.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:04 PM
Turkish has a reputation beyond reputeTurkish has a reputation beyond reputeTurkish has a reputation beyond reputeTurkish has a reputation beyond reputeTurkish has a reputation beyond reputeTurkish has a reputation beyond reputeTurkish has a reputation beyond reputeTurkish has a reputation beyond reputeTurkish has a reputation beyond reputeTurkish has a reputation beyond reputeTurkish has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks again guys for the nice comments.
Its nice to be welcomed into a brand new forum, after spending years
and years on Audi sites.

Originally Posted by FlyingGuy
another B5S4 owner getting into a 996TT, i love it! pics of both cars together when it arrives!
Here is a picture of my S4.

I cant wait to do a nice comparison of the 2.

Originally Posted by Sql_pl
So it looks like you have similar mods to my car, Gemballa flash and Exhaust. Please let me know how much boost you get once you get to drive it for a bit!

http://www.streetfire.net/video/top-...-2_2371372.htm

He talks about your car at around 8:00 in segment 4.
It's great to hear that you have similiar mods.
The shop that did the ppi said the car boosted at stock psi.

Could the flash be erased/gone??

Also, I know it has a sport exhaust but I wonder if it is a Gembella one?

Its exciting to see what goodies this thing may have

Ill make sure to share all my findings!

Old 02-29-2012, 07:36 AM
Banned
Sql_pl is a splendid one to beholdSql_pl is a splendid one to beholdSql_pl is a splendid one to beholdSql_pl is a splendid one to beholdSql_pl is a splendid one to beholdSql_pl is a splendid one to beholdSql_pl is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Turkish
Here is a picture of my S4.

I cant wait to do a nice comparison of the 2.
It seems to be so natural to be going into a 996tt straight from a B5 world, same move on my part last year!

Old 03-11-2012, 01:29 PM
Turkish has a reputation beyond reputeTurkish has a reputation beyond reputeTurkish has a reputation beyond reputeTurkish has a reputation beyond reputeTurkish has a reputation beyond reputeTurkish has a reputation beyond reputeTurkish has a reputation beyond reputeTurkish has a reputation beyond reputeTurkish has a reputation beyond reputeTurkish has a reputation beyond reputeTurkish has a reputation beyond repute
My comparison/review coming from a 2001 Stage 3+ S4 of my 911

OK, here it goes.
Here are my thoughts. I hope this will help for anyone thinking of getting one or drooling over one.

My S4 is faster, quieter, more comfortable than the 911.
Let me explain.

Exterior 7 out of 10
It is an attention getter. I do love how S4s fly under the radar.
If you don't like attention get a dark color 911.
The curves make it look like a fighter jet, it grew on me and I love it.
Very aerodynamic, this cuts down on wind noise when going fast.
It does kinda look like a super angry beetle

Interior 6 out of 10
Mine has a aftermarket exhaust and my god it is LOUD!
The S4 has a exhaust with cat delete and this that delete, I thought it was loud, not even close.
The exhaust of the 911 resonates through the entire car and really lets you know there is an engine in the backseat.
The audio system in mine is a aftermarket touchscreen Kenwood unit, Thank GOD!!. The stock console looks like a 4 yr old designed it.
The climate buttons are stupid and could have been laid out a lot better.
Rear seats are for handicapped people with no legs, no different than our S4s
The driver seats are close to perfect. They are comfy yet love to hold you in place.
When you sit in this thing you really feel like you have climbed into something special and fast.
You can see everything going on around you on the road as well, it does not feel cramped.
I wish the sunroof was glass so it would let light in.

Suspension/Steering 9 out of 10
Mine has a Techart coilover setup and it is as good as lower end coils for S4s.
I have PSS9s on my S4 and LOVE them. I will put PSS10s on the 911 and this cars suspension will be perfect.
The Techart kit does not ride as smooth as the Bilsteins do in my S4. They seem to bounce a lot as well.
Hitting bumps feel very different, the car doesn't fall into them like S4s do. The engine placement and the huge
wheels in back make the car feel very planted and safe at all speeds and corners.

Braking 11 out of 10
Yes, they are that good.
Can't wait to see them on the track.

Engine 10 out of 10
I bought this car for its reliability with this kind of horsepower.
Our S4s break, they break a LOT! Very understandable because most of us push double the HP and triple the boost from the 2.7.
The engine on the 911 wants to be beat up. I drove it nice for the first couple days and got no enjoyment.
The S4s you can have fun quickly and be done without much commotion. The 911 switches into a different atmosphere when going fast and then
switches back to tame mode, it does take a bot to have fun.

Conclusion 7 out of 10
This car deserves a 9 out of 10 but is missing things in stock form, as are all cars.
I know when I am done with it, it will be perfect.
Here is what it needs:

1.Suspension
2.Quieter exhaust
3.Bigger Turbos (A28 or A30)
4.Custom tune appropriate for my driving style

The beauty about this car is that it starts out on a sport car/ semi-super car platform and building on it is much easier.

To all who want one, weigh your options. Your S4 is a great car and is capable of a lot.
The 911 sets itself apart once some modding is done.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have questions!

Old 03-11-2012, 04:27 PM
VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Turkish
My comparison/review coming from a 2001 Stage 3+ S4 of my 911

OK, here it goes.
Here are my thoughts. I hope this will help for anyone thinking of getting one or drooling over one.

My S4 is faster, quieter, more comfortable than the 911.
Let me explain.

Exterior 7 out of 10
It is an attention getter. I do love how S4s fly under the radar.
If you don't like attention get a dark color 911.
The curves make it look like a fighter jet, it grew on me and I love it.
Very aerodynamic, this cuts down on wind noise when going fast.
It does kinda look like a super angry beetle

Interior 6 out of 10
Mine has a aftermarket exhaust and my god it is LOUD!
The S4 has a exhaust with cat delete and this that delete, I thought it was loud, not even close.
The exhaust of the 911 resonates through the entire car and really lets you know there is an engine in the backseat.
The audio system in mine is a aftermarket touchscreen Kenwood unit, Thank GOD!!. The stock console looks like a 4 yr old designed it.
The climate buttons are stupid and could have been laid out a lot better.
Rear seats are for handicapped people with no legs, no different than our S4s
The driver seats are close to perfect. They are comfy yet love to hold you in place.
When you sit in this thing you really feel like you have climbed into something special and fast.
You can see everything going on around you on the road as well, it does not feel cramped.
I wish the sunroof was glass so it would let light in.

Suspension/Steering 9 out of 10
Mine has a Techart coilover setup and it is as good as lower end coils for S4s.
I have PSS9s on my S4 and LOVE them. I will put PSS10s on the 911 and this cars suspension will be perfect.
The Techart kit does not ride as smooth as the Bilsteins do in my S4. They seem to bounce a lot as well.
Hitting bumps feel very different, the car doesn't fall into them like S4s do. The engine placement and the huge
wheels in back make the car feel very planted and safe at all speeds and corners.

Braking 11 out of 10
Yes, they are that good.
Can't wait to see them on the track.

Engine 10 out of 10
I bought this car for its reliability with this kind of horsepower.
Our S4s break, they break a LOT! Very understandable because most of us push double the HP and triple the boost from the 2.7.
The engine on the 911 wants to be beat up. I drove it nice for the first couple days and got no enjoyment.
The S4s you can have fun quickly and be done without much commotion. The 911 switches into a different atmosphere when going fast and then
switches back to tame mode, it does take a bot to have fun.

Conclusion 7 out of 10
This car deserves a 9 out of 10 but is missing things in stock form, as are all cars.
I know when I am done with it, it will be perfect.
Here is what it needs:

1.Suspension
2.Quieter exhaust
3.Bigger Turbos (A28 or A30)
4.Custom tune appropriate for my driving style

The beauty about this car is that it starts out on a sport car/ semi-super car platform and building on it is much easier.

To all who want one, weigh your options. Your S4 is a great car and is capable of a lot.
The 911 sets itself apart once some modding is done.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have questions!
Not sure what you will net with the suspension over the tech arts. The tech arts are bilsteins.

I previously owned a stage 3 S4 and went to a 996TT. The S4 has tons of mod options and most of it is cheaper. The one thing with the S4 is no matter how much money you put into the suspension on the Audi, it will still handle like a heavy sedan. The suspension options for the Porsche are expensive, but in the end you will have an awesome handling car. One thing to consider is the price of power on the porsche. You can be in the mid 600hp range on a 996tt for under 10k which is tough on the S4. $5000 in hardware on the Porsche can get you in the GT turbo S4 power range without an engine pull.

Last edited by VAGscum; 03-11-2012 at 04:39 PM.
Old 03-11-2012, 05:10 PM
LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !
Congrats! Saw it breifly at Imola on my way out the other day.
Nice to meet you and see you at MN C&C next month!

Old 03-29-2012, 10:40 AM
Car is now on stock twists and has a full frontal clear bra (wish I would have done this to the S4)

Just got an EPL tune. Will log it as stock, Gemballa tune and EPL tune back to back.
Stay tuned for updates!

Old 03-29-2012, 02:24 PM
rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !
Thumbs up

Congrats and wellcome, nice car and now go get Matt's ex-girlfriend

Old 05-07-2012, 06:28 PM
Meeyatch1 is an unknown quantity at this point
That is such a pretty car...and I love it with the TechArt wheels.

Old 05-07-2012, 06:40 PM
Since this came back from the dead, here are some updates.

The car is now running an EPL tune. If you are thinking about it, stop. Get it!
Smooth and powerful!

Took it to the track to break it in

Cleaning after 2 track days and a 3 hour trip back

and video

This car was built for the track. If you havent done so already, get yourself out there
and bond with your car.

Old 05-08-2012, 06:48 AM
NYPorsche911T will become famous soon enoughNYPorsche911T will become famous soon enough
Your S4 looks sick. I also made the jump...

Attached Images  
Old 05-08-2012, 08:28 AM
M BADGER has much to be proud ofM BADGER has much to be proud ofM BADGER has much to be proud ofM BADGER has much to be proud ofM BADGER has much to be proud ofM BADGER has much to be proud ofM BADGER has much to be proud ofM BADGER has much to be proud ofM BADGER has much to be proud ofM BADGER has much to be proud of
Congratulations on your Turbo! I pick mine up on Friday.

Not a former B5 S4 owner, but helped a good friend find a used one back in 2002.

Thanks for posting the video. I will probably do a day at Road America with the Turbo at some point, although my NSX is likely to become the track car again if and when I start doing that again...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My new Turbo!