996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Looking at a turbo tomorrow...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 06:46 PM
Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !
how much is the car

Old 04-25-2012, 07:54 PM
FI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond repute
Just looked at it tonight.

Pros
* Price (sub $40k);
* Mods. Pretty much has everything I would put on it (wheels, suspension, exhaust, ECU flash, intake).
* Seems mechanically sound and doesn't need anything at this time.
* Looks, drives, sounds amazing.

Cons
* Not my number one color (silver);
* Interior needs a little love. Not bad by any means but I'm kind of a perfectionist; my car looks brand new even though it's 10+ years old. To fit the big screen headunit, they basically just cut out the surrounding plastic?! Looks pretty crappy but I'm sure that can be remedied easily.
* Car has the GT2 body kit, which looks great but the front is 4 inches off the ground; that is REALLY low!
* Was involved in a small accident; bumper and one headlight replaced.

All in all, car is still a good deal. If I were to buy it, I would still have it looked over by my mechanic just to be eliminate any doubt. I just don't know if I'm 100% sold on it.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:04 PM
FI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond repute
Not sure what kind of software is on it; he can find out for me. It's flashed to 1.2bar. No dyno sheet either.

The report shows how many times redline was hit and how many times the rev limiter was hit. Looks like it did hit the rev limiter maybe once and got to redline maybe a dozen times over the life of the car. I guess they rate it from a scale R1 to R6? R1 being redline and R2 being the limiter. Is that right?

Originally Posted by Onetime
All PPIs are not equal. Look at what was inspected and don't forget to check for over revs. What kind of flash does he have? How did he ascertain the car has 500hp? Did he dyno it or is he just guessing? If he put it on a dyno, does he have the dyno sheet?

Old 04-25-2012, 09:07 PM
Onetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant future
The reason I mentioned the hp numbers is because people tend to throw out numbers they pull out of thin air with no foundation to base them on. Tell him you're from Missouri and he needs to show you 500 hp or else hit the road. If I were looking for another 996TT, I'd pay a little more for a low mileage example that was stock. I'd expect the car to be damn near perfect, because that's how I keep my cars. I'm not saying it's a bad car, but if you're going to spenk 40k on something, make sure it's the color you want. There are plenty of well kept turbos around, but you have to be a little patient. Sometimes you get what you pay for.

I'll let someone else chime in about the ignitions, I always get confused about that. BTW, since you said you are kind of a perfectionist, find someone like you that's selling the car you want, you won't regret it. Take your time and enjoy the hunt.

Last edited by Onetime; 04-25-2012 at 09:10 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-25-2012, 09:30 PM
I'm thinking about offering a few k less so I can fix up the interior to my liking and potentially change to a regular front bumper since being that low will probably drive me nuts. The car height itself is good but I think that type bumper lowers the front an additional 1-2". Everything else is in great shape.

Thoughts?

Originally Posted by Onetime
The reason I mentioned the hp numbers is because people tend to throw out numbers they pull out of thin air with no foundation to base them on. Tell him you're from Missouri and he needs to show you 500 hp or else hit the road. If I were looking for another 996TT, I'd pay a little more for a low mileage example that was stock. I'd expect the car to be damn near perfect, because that's how I keep my cars. I'm not saying it's a bad car, but if you're going to spenk 40k on something, make sure it's the color you want. There are plenty of well kept turbos around, but you have to be a little patient. Sometimes you get what you pay for.

I'll let someone else chime in about the ignitions, I always get confused about that. BTW, since you said you are kind of a perfectionist, find someone like you that's selling the car you want, you won't regret it. Take your time and enjoy the hunt.

Old 04-26-2012, 12:26 AM
ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !
There are plenty of well kept turbos around, but you have to be a little patient. Sometimes you get what you pay for. BTW, since you said you are kind of a perfectionist, find someone like you that's selling the car you want, you won't regret it. Take your time and enjoy the hunt.[/quote]

Absolutely! Being a perfectionist (like myself) you will always wish you had that perfect color. I searched for about a year for the color and options I wanted - because I wanted it to be perfect! I finally found it and NEVER look at another 996TT wondering "what if..."

Old 04-26-2012, 02:00 AM
I gave him my offer tonight. Lower than his asking price because of the few items I want to fix. If he accepts, I'll buy it (given the second PPI is good). If not, the search continues. I still have my supercharged BMW, so no rush

Old 04-26-2012, 10:50 AM
He's sticking to his asking price so the search continues . I'll install my coilovers on the BMW next week; that'll keep me entertained for a while

This was a good test. Now I know exactly what to look for in the future.

Old 04-26-2012, 04:26 PM
Etchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond repute
Congrats on sticking to your guns. Plenty of sweet rides out there and the hunt is half the fun- but can be nerve racking at times. Have loved mine for 3yrs now and spending a bit of love money on it this week. Mod-bug is contagious- similar to your M3 I imagine.

Happy hunting-

Old 04-26-2012, 04:50 PM
Originally Posted by Etchhead
Congrats on sticking to your guns. Plenty of sweet rides out there and the hunt is half the fun- but can be nerve racking at times. Have loved mine for 3yrs now and spending a bit of love money on it this week. Mod-bug is contagious- similar to your M3 I imagine.

Happy hunting-
Thanks

That car is still a good deal but I didn't want to have to spend money on it right away. The mod bug is indeed a dangerous thing! I've typically done something to my car once a year orso. I plan on doing the same with the turbo (just no major engine work).

Car is actually a SC'd Z. Kind of similar in ways to the old 911s; pretty tail happy and a little nerve wrecking when driven near its limit; that makes it fun though

Old 04-26-2012, 11:16 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
It would be nice to read the ECU for over-revs as well.

Old 04-27-2012, 12:17 PM
ECU info was indeed available.

Old 04-27-2012, 12:49 PM
DucS4Rs is on a distinguished road
Good choice on holding out for what you want. Nearly everytime I bought on impulse or thought "that doesn't bother me at that price point..." Inevitably it always cost me more to fix "it" when I couldn't live with "it".
Fortunately no regrets on my 996 purchase!