996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

High Mileage concerns 100K+ miles.. specifically engine timing chain concerns

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 09:06 PM
ExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond repute
High Mileage concerns 120K+ miles.. specifically engine timing chain concerns

Anyone know the interval for a timing chain service? I would imagine the guides or tensioners need to be adjusted/replaced at somepoint. I know there arent that many people that have 120K+ mile TTs, but I was just curious if anyone knows the engine concerns at this mileage.

Last edited by ExclusiveTT; 05-10-2012 at 09:19 PM.
Old 05-13-2012, 03:30 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ExclusiveTT
Anyone know the interval for a timing chain service? I would imagine the guides or tensioners need to be adjusted/replaced at somepoint. I know there arent that many people that have 120K+ mile TTs, but I was just curious if anyone knows the engine concerns at this mileage.
The only 'service' for the chains is just periodic oil/filter services using a high quality (imho only a Porsche approved oil).

For both the Boxster and the Turbo I change the oil/filter or have it changed every 5K miles. I have run 0w-40, 5w-40 and more recently 5w-50 (Mobil 1 5w-50 and this not a typo for 15w-50) in the Turbo. The Boxster went from most recently Mobil 1 0w-40 to Mobil 1 5w-50 just to keep both cars running the same oil so I do not have to stock two different oils.

Based on my info and experience with at least one other Porsche the timing chains are not a service item.

I had the VarioCam solenoid/actuator fail and replaced in my 02 Boxster at over 200K miles and the chain guide/tensioner rails that were visible when the cam shaft cover (passenger side) was removed, along with the cams (which came out to get at the actuator), the lifter bucket tops, the sprockets and the chains all looked just fine. There was no sign of any wear at all of any of these items.

This engine just rolled over 255K miles and the engine still sounds good, runs good and has no excessive chain (or other internal) engine noise. The driver's side solenoid/actuator are doing just fine, as are the replacements on the passenger side.

My 03 Turbo's engine has never been apart but has just over 90K miles on it. The engine runs just fine, sounds just fine and I believe it will go many many miles with no problems.

This belief is helped by the fact I know of an owner of an 03 S who has over 300K miles on his car and its original engine and it still runs just fine.

Change the oil/filter regularly and relax.

Besides the more at risk components are the cam low/high lift switch (hydraulic switch) hardware.

At lower rpms the high lift is switched to low lift to improve fuel economy and lower emissions. I read where Porsche has tested this hardware through 250,000 cycles but I do not know how many miles of operation that number represents.

So, I try to drive my Turbo in such a way -- avoiding running the engine at low rpms -- to limit the number of times the engine controller switches from high lift to low lift and back again.

I believe the low lift is switched on at cold engine start too so I let the engine idle long enough the rpms drop to near normal and the engine smooths out. This suggests to me (though I have not been able to confirm this) the low lift has been turned off and high lift selected which if true occurs at engine idle speed and not a higher engine speed which should cut down on wear/tear of this hardware.

Sincerely,

Macster.