996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Ruf Pricing Help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 07:20 PM
john rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to behold
To add to this - I would hope that you guys realize that any 993tt or better would absolutely destroy any 80s Ruf BTR. They are nice period cars but it is easy to build a 930 that will dust them now. My brother has upgraded a couple of his customers BTRs to good effect.

Whatever we can do now, Alois paved the way for a lot of us.
JR

Old 05-20-2012, 09:27 PM
rs200evo has a spectacular aura aboutrs200evo has a spectacular aura aboutrs200evo has a spectacular aura about
Anybody can modify a Porsche these days, but there are only maybe 30 Ruf vin cars built each year. Sometimes it's more than just increasing horsepower. Exclusivity, great pedigree, outstanding workmanship and performance , that's a Ruf Vin car.

Old 05-20-2012, 11:09 PM
john rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to behold
I agree that a Ruf vin car means that the car is excellent and in every way a genuine Ruf package.

The 80s performance cars, almost ALL of them, are now dated, mostly due to incredible advances in computer technology that has transformed the art of Porsche turbo tuning.

Where Ruf went wrong [if such a thing can be said] is in allowing shops here and elsewhere to do "Ruf converstions" on existing cars. The USA turner shops have not done the complete rebirths as come out of Ruf Automobile GmbH. Probably the simplest example is that you can only get the incredible Integrated Roll Cage at the factory. I cannot imagine having a Ruf car built without one. They are incredible life savers with minimum intrusion on the occupants.

Every car that I have seen that was sent to Ruf in Germany for a conversion was stripped to bare chassis and ended up as special and custom as any Ruf vin car which started out as a body-in-white. For USA customers this had the advantage of not having to deal with DOT/EPA.

What this all amounts to is that you can and do find wonderfully complete Ruf cars with USA Porsche vins, but you must know your Rufs and verify information to be certain you aren't just buying a Porsche with an engine upgrade and wheels. IF a given car has the complete Ruf conversion it is as good in every functional way as a Ruf vin car. The only difference is to collectors. Not long ago a Ruf vin CTR-1 was worth TWICE what a CTR-1 conversion went for. That is the value to collectors. it was also a boon to the drivers among us who gladly relinquished the additional status in exchange for saving 50% on one of the world's neatest ever cars.

My only regret is that there has never been a way to legally drive on here.

JR

Old 05-21-2012, 06:51 AM
rs200evo has a spectacular aura aboutrs200evo has a spectacular aura aboutrs200evo has a spectacular aura about
A Ruf vin CTR 1 is worth 3, 4, 5 times what a converted car is worth. You can build as many converted cars as you want, but there are only a specific number of Ruf vin cars ever built. Remember, Ruf is a licensed manufacturer, that's the only way they can have their own vin number, not just a conversion shop

Old 05-21-2012, 02:30 PM
I accept that could be accurate today about values. Things change. I don't agree with the philosophy.

That information is what Alois told me not that many years ago when I was trying to figure out how to legalize one where I live.

Honestly, I have a hard time believing the collectors so dominate the CTR-1 market to make such a wild variation in value on otherwise identical CTRs. We are only talking about a total under 60 CTRs, so it wouldn't take that many people with money to turn things on their head. If this is accurate, it certainly proves the "greater fool" theory [or that I just don't care about "collectibility"].

The only advantage to the Ruf vin on a CTR-1 is bragging rights. That is plain silly. For that matter, Ruf ran out of CTR-1 spares many years ago. No amount of money would buy a new CTR-1. A good friend was trying to persuade him to build one many years ago but times had moved on and there simply weren't parts to do that. That means that there is a finite number of genuine Ruf CTR-1s available regardless of what their vins are. Most of the guys I have met who own them, use them. I realize that a lot of other performance pieces are no longer owned by enthusiasts these days. I hope this isn't true of CTRs.

JR

Old 05-21-2012, 03:24 PM
Ruf has always raised the bar, top speed, integrated rollbar system, front end lift option, etc. You get what you pay for. If it's too much,than walk away

Old 05-21-2012, 03:37 PM
You guys must be newbies! I am laughing but that may not be polite. I am going to leave this at this....

I was one of Rufs early and staunchest supporters. If you knew so much about Alois and his products as you are suggesting you would already know that.

Second, the ONLY CTR-1 with a genuine Ruf vin in North America is presently for sale for $260k. I have met the gent, knew the car before he bought it, what it cost, how much he spent making it perfect and upgrading it..and know that he isn't making any flip selling it.

SO, if you "experts" proclaim that a Ruf Vin CTR-1 is worth 4 or 5 times what an otherwise identical Ruf CTR-1 built from an existing chassis... . Show me an example of one for sale for a quarter or fifth of this price. Please.

I am not holding my breath. Honestly, you guys are sounding like... wanna be collectors.

Old 05-21-2012, 04:14 PM
Sounds like someone is looking for a medal. The initial discussion was about an rturbo conversion and other conversions by Ruf or an authorized dealer. Conversions with many Ruf options can be bought in $50-60,000 or lower range. If you can find a Ruf vin car for double that, it's a deal. I know of a Ruf Ctr 1 in the south that supposedly has everything done to it by Ruf except the Ruf vin. Still not sold. There is one in Canada, red I believe with the Ruf vin. Still not legal in the US unless all the dot/epa has been done.

Old 05-21-2012, 08:55 PM
RufGmbH is a jewel in the roughRufGmbH is a jewel in the roughRufGmbH is a jewel in the roughRufGmbH is a jewel in the rough
I am in the market. Do you have pics???

Thanks Jason

Old 12-03-2012, 07:20 AM
JG GT500 will become famous soon enough
There are two RUF vin cars for sale at RAC Performace in Texas. The 996 based RGT is listed at $89,900 ("sale pending"), and the 997 based RGT is listed for $135,000. Both are pretty badass IMO. (no affiliation)

One can get an idea of the difference in price between a RUF vin car, and a RUF conversion. The 996 based RGT is listed in the same neighborhood price-wise as a 6GT2. I might pay close to list for the 6RGT.

Personally, I would pay a little more for a conversion, or RUF tune. Probably about the same premium as an X50 car.

Attached Images   
Old 12-03-2012, 04:25 PM
Those Ruf vin cars are gorgeous. I've looked at both of them, assuming similar conditions,imo, I would almost always buy a Ruf vin car, it will always have the pedigree