996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Numeric Racing Short Shifter Review

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 06:34 AM
UThomas is on a distinguished road
How does this compare to the 997 ssk - specifically what does it offer in addition? Sounds like you can set it for 50% shorter throw vs 30% on the ssk? Ball bearings?

Old 06-13-2012, 08:01 AM
jonty is a name known to alljonty is a name known to alljonty is a name known to alljonty is a name known to alljonty is a name known to alljonty is a name known to all
Great looking product just an expensive piece for street driving @ approx $1K.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:18 AM
Basic Sponsor
Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jonty
Great looking product just an expensive piece for street driving @ approx $1K.

oh wow over twice the cost of a 997 ssk. i'd love to check this out in a car and see how it feels. it looks amazing. shame you cant see under the console

997TT SlowBerry - 205.0 mph 1/2 Mile WR Nov 2018, 9.7 @ 170 mph 1/4 Mile , 3.2 60-130 mph , 2.4 100-150 mph , 1420whp E85
ESMOTOR | DO88 | TPC DSC | SYVECS | COBB | IPD | KLINE | XONA | AMS | ID | ERP | SACHS | TURBOSMART | CSF | DODSON |
Old 06-13-2012, 09:55 AM
triblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond repute
I will say Im no expert on Porsche shifters as I have only put 200mi on my new to me 02 GT2. I can say this however...I find the 997 short shift shifter to be a total piece of crap. I know you shouldnt omppare the two but the 997 piece has more play and is more noisy than my OEM Corvette shifter and the comparison between a nice upvraded Vette shifter can not even e made as the 997 piece is sooo bad. I m really going to look into this new shifter and hope for the best. Thanks for posting!

Old 06-13-2012, 10:06 AM
jonty is a name known to alljonty is a name known to alljonty is a name known to alljonty is a name known to alljonty is a name known to alljonty is a name known to all
Originally Posted by triblk6spd
I will say Im no expert on Porsche shifters as I have only put 200mi on my new to me 02 GT2. I can say this however...I find the 997 short shift shifter to be a total piece of crap. I know you shouldnt omppare the two but the 997 piece has more play and is more noisy than my OEM Corvette shifter and the comparison between a nice upvraded Vette shifter can not even e made as the 997 piece is sooo bad. I m really going to look into this new shifter and hope for the best. Thanks for posting!
Funny I have exactly the same complaint about the corvette shifter, are you sure you have the 997 SSK shifter and not the 996 shifter?

Old 06-13-2012, 10:09 AM
triblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond repute
Pretty sure. I have had an MGW in my C6Z for years so im super spoiled.

Old 06-13-2012, 11:57 AM
UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !
Looking at this i may have to pull my B&M shifter out and use it on my Xbox!
Excellent writeup i do have to say that.
Quality looks very good, I would think you have a great product on your hands. You may want to consider doing a full package deal with Cup car cables. *hint hint*

Old 06-14-2012, 12:13 PM
Former Vendor
Numeric Racing has a reputation beyond reputeNumeric Racing has a reputation beyond reputeNumeric Racing has a reputation beyond reputeNumeric Racing has a reputation beyond reputeNumeric Racing has a reputation beyond reputeNumeric Racing has a reputation beyond reputeNumeric Racing has a reputation beyond reputeNumeric Racing has a reputation beyond reputeNumeric Racing has a reputation beyond reputeNumeric Racing has a reputation beyond reputeNumeric Racing has a reputation beyond repute
Hey guys. Love all the feedback so far. There is really no comparing this to any SSK on the market right now. All the other shifters you have to install them into the stock plastic shifter housing. This is a direct replacement and has multiple adjustsments. There are so many differences between this unit and other shifters. I am however redesigning a better SSK that will work with the stock shifter housing and be price competitive with the others. This current Numeric Racing kit is the Rolex of shifters.

Old 06-15-2012, 07:19 AM
AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !
Any improvement would be good. I've had a 996 shifter, a B&M and a 997 SSK. All suck IMHO. My stock Z06 shifter was better than any of these. Looking forward to some real feedback after some miles have been put on.

Old 06-15-2012, 08:37 AM
Originally Posted by AtomicZ
Any improvement would be good. I've had a 996 shifter, a B&M and a 997 SSK. All suck IMHO. My stock Z06 shifter was better than any of these. Looking forward to some real feedback after some miles have been put on.
This shifter will be one of my next purchases along w the upgraded linkage that AWD sells.
I have however made a major improvement to the 997 ssk. I cut out a small piece of super thin aluminum and layed it under the linkage under the shifter. I bent the forward edge down so the linkage could not snag. I also went one.step further and added a tad of white lithium grease for the linkage to slide on. MUCH better....for now.

Old 06-17-2012, 09:54 AM
AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !
This shifter will be one of my next purchases along w the upgraded linkage that AWD sells.
I have however made a major improvement to the 997 ssk. I cut out a small piece of super thin aluminum and layed it under the linkage under the shifter. I bent the forward edge down so the linkage could not snag. I also went one.step further and added a tad of white lithium grease for the linkage to slide on. MUCH better....for now.
Pics. I have never been overly thrilled with the shifter in either of my GT2's.

Old 06-23-2012, 01:35 PM
samx is a splendid one to beholdsamx is a splendid one to beholdsamx is a splendid one to beholdsamx is a splendid one to beholdsamx is a splendid one to beholdsamx is a splendid one to beholdsamx is a splendid one to beholdsamx is a splendid one to behold
Just a quick update:

Now that I have had a little more time with the shifter, the thing that I have noticed most is that it requires more precision to shift well than the old shifter did.

If I am a little slow to complete upshifts and the revs drop too much, it seems like the engagement of those gears are a little more vague. Get it right, however, and the shift lever just click into place. This is even more important during downshifting and it's more noticeable in the lower gears than the higher. Trying to engage a gear from a slow coast with the engine at idle (i.e. in traffic) requires the most precision.

It may be a sign of wear in my transmission and the old shifter was just covering up.

I will say that I still very happy with the shifter. My plan is to now drive it for a week or two on the mid-throw setting to see what differences there are.

Old 06-23-2012, 02:44 PM
Doesn't sound very promising, I have one coming next week I will also post my impressions.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:57 AM
samx is a splendid one to beholdsamx is a splendid one to beholdsamx is a splendid one to beholdsamx is a splendid one to beholdsamx is a splendid one to beholdsamx is a splendid one to beholdsamx is a splendid one to beholdsamx is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by jonty
Doesn't sound very promising, I have one coming next week I will also post my impressions.
I wouldn't dissuade anybody considering this shifter because of that. It really doesn't bother me and was meant as more of an observation than anything. I just adjusted my driving style slightly and am fine with it - I've just learned to be a bit more assertive in my shifting.

Old 06-25-2012, 10:09 AM
vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !
Have you checked out the Cup Car cables? They make the throws feel much more solid. Like racking a rifle bolt, but some folks dislike the extra oomph added to the process.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Numeric Racing Short Shifter Review