996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Advice Please..Lemon Law Con't

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-23-2003, 08:08 AM
Yupkwondo is infamous around these partsYupkwondo is infamous around these partsYupkwondo is infamous around these partsYupkwondo is infamous around these parts
Advice Please..Lemon Law Con't

Alright, so Porsche after almost three weeks has decided to get back to me with options...I was wondering in my situation what you would do, and how you came to your conclusion.

Option 1:
- two year extended warranty, giving me a 6 year 100000 mile warranty on my car overall.

Option 2:
- a voucher towards a discount on another porsche purchase, I have no idea what the discount will be, I would think no more than $2500-$5000. Only good for 18 months

Option 3:
- Go through arbitration and if I win get a new car. My chances of winning if based soley on time in the shop are good.

Downsides - I have to turn my car in now(after arbitration), and wait until what they are saying is sometime in janurary for a build spot.

Upsides - As I understand it car will be built to my specs, and if the information on this website is correct it will be probably one of the very last 996tt Coupes built for U.S.

Let me know what you think, obviously option 3 sounds the most profitable, but also like always the more difficult to achieve.

I have to find out more details of how the bank sees lemon laws, if I just continue to pay on my car, or I pay on the price of the newly built car? And other things along those lines. Thanks.

~ Jason
03 Blk/Blk X50 (Lemon Law Candidate)

Old 10-23-2003, 08:34 AM
ColorChange is on a distinguished road
Yupkwondo

Where do you live (what state)? I may have very good information for you. Don't ask how I know ... yet!

Old 10-23-2003, 08:40 AM
Yupkwondo is infamous around these partsYupkwondo is infamous around these partsYupkwondo is infamous around these partsYupkwondo is infamous around these parts
I live in Ohio...PM me what you know if you would like to keep it off the boards

Old 10-23-2003, 08:52 AM
ColorChange is on a distinguished road
Do an attorney search on www.findlaw.com and look for attorneys with lemon law expertise. I do not know the consumer protection laws in Ohio so I can't offer any specific information. My guess is your case/position is much stronger than you laid out.

Old 10-23-2003, 08:55 AM
msindi is on a distinguished road
What was the problem with your car to begin with??

Old 10-23-2003, 09:09 AM
It all started with second gear popping out, and then grinding and then jamming...and then there have been some smaller things along the way, seat heater out, radio didn't work for a short period of time, shifter linkage broke because of the jamming problem...after all that the car has been in the shop right around 50 days since May.

~ Jason

Old 10-23-2003, 09:21 AM
I had the popping out of second and got a new tranny under warranty...
Also had my driver side heated seat die and they replaced the element under warranty...
IMHO I think the problem is with your dealer not the car!!

Old 10-23-2003, 12:27 PM
Banned
Accomplice is on a distinguished road
I'd just get that extended warranty and demand prompt replacement of any parts as issues come up. "Don't fool around with my car for weeks just pop in a new transmission under warranty and do it now." You might also want to start going to a different dealer after the extended warranty is in place. They may have better policies when it comes to service and warranty claim issues.

Kevin

Old 10-23-2003, 01:07 PM
nberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to behold
If you want a new car why don't you take the offer from Porsche for the discount? Going to arbitration and winning is not going to improve the offer that Porsche is giving you.

Am I missing something?

Old 10-23-2003, 01:10 PM
Banned
MTBR is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by nberry
If you want a new car why don't you take the offer from Porsche for the discount? Going to arbitration and winning is not going to improve the offer that Porsche is giving you.

Am I missing something?
Option 3: Arbitration

If he wins, he gets a new car free and clear and they will take back his old one.

Old 10-23-2003, 01:39 PM
To be honest, my dealer has taken care if me.

The minor repairs have been done in one day, however to take apart the transmission, order parts, reassemble, took from August 15th till September 12th... 28 days, plus there was when the shifter linkage broke and that took another 7 or so...

other than that they have been very good. And the tech takes time to show and explain everything to me...so I can't blame this on the dealer. I still haven't decided but have e-mailed a lemon law lawyer to see what they have to say about it. Thanks for the replys so far.

~ Jason

Old 10-23-2003, 01:54 PM
FYI - Dealers here are not supposed to take apart trannys on these things...instead, they're supposed to get you a new one and send the old one back to Germany where they inspect it...

Old 10-23-2003, 02:42 PM
nberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to behold
Option 3 If he wins he gets a car free and clear.
I don't think so. He would get no better rights than what he had on his present car. If he owes money on his old car his obligation remains on the new car. Additionally winning in arbitration does not necessarily mean you get a new car. They can require Porsche to take back the old and make the owner whole. Awarding a new car doesn't happen that often. Usually people just want their money back.

If he takes Porsche offer he can order what he wants with a discount should he desire a new car. Also they will take back his old car. Why arbitrate?

Old 10-23-2003, 04:02 PM
Mansour,

Yes that is true, that is how it was, the reasoning was that they did not know what was wrong with them, except that they were defective and that there were not enough parts to fulfill the replacements...however now that they know what the problem is, the order is that master techs can disassemble and replace the gear set that is defective, I asked the same questions, and was presented with that responce on a phone call directly to the main number techs call when they have questions.

nberry

As far as I know, I get a car built to my spec as a replacement for my current car, all prior money owed is still owed.

So it would be as if you swapped cars for even money.

You have a choice of getting your money back, or a new car it is the consumers choice on how you are indemnified, money or car.

The one benefit I believe is that you can order the new car any way you would like, options included (I'm sure there is a limit) for the trouble, so since this car does not have PCCB and I wanted them, I can order then and then it is built that way. I do not believe that it is what you ordered rebuilt to exact spec.

Old 10-23-2003, 04:54 PM
Banned
MTBR is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by nberry
I don't think so. He would get no better rights than what he had on his present car. If he owes money on his old car his obligation remains on the new car
Yes, obviously if there is money owed, he would continue making payments, however he would have a new car. He would also have the option of a refund and getting out of the car.

If the car was paid for in cash, he would receive a direct replacement or have the option of a refund.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Advice Please..Lemon Law Con't