996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

MPSS Tire Options for 996TT?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 09:58 AM
Aerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant future
MPSS Tire Options for 996TT?

Needing a new set of tires for my 18" Turbo Twist rims. In looking at the MPSS, it looks like the only sizes I could do are 225/45-18 fronts, and 285/35-18 rears. The overall diameter will go up to 25.9" (from 25.1") and the rear will be slightly narrower. Anyone have experience with this setup and whether it's a good idea? Stock suspension and height.

I'd be interested in hearing alternatives as well.

Old 08-11-2012, 11:50 AM
Hams996TT will become famous soon enoughHams996TT will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Aerodude
Needing a new set of tires for my 18" Turbo Twist rims. In looking at the MPSS, it looks like the only sizes I could do are 225/45-18 fronts, and 285/35-18 rears. The overall diameter will go up to 25.9" (from 25.1") and the rear will be slightly narrower. Anyone have experience with this setup and whether it's a good idea? Stock suspension and height.

I'd be interested in hearing alternatives as well.
Actually that sizing would work out just fine on a stock height car, so no worries if you want to try them. I have them on another car and they are pretty nice. They do hum a little on concrete highways, but they ride soft compared to PS2's. Overall I like them a lot.

If you're looking for a good alternative, you may want to consider the Yokohama Advan Sport. In that model, you could run the same 225/45 - 285/35 combo, or you could go wider with a 235/40 - 315/30 combo. The Advan Sport is available in both sizes. I run the 235/40 - 315/30 combo on my OEM twists for HPDE fun and they work great. They are quieter than PS2's but that's all I can really compare to. - One thing to consider; the Advan Sport's are about the same price or a little cheaper than the MPSS.

If shopping for the Advan, have a look at them at Discount Tire Direct www.discounttiredirect.com. Keep in mind their pricing includes shipping when comparing to Tire Rack or others.

Hope that helps sir.

Chris

Old 08-11-2012, 04:07 PM
Aerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Hams996TT
Actually that sizing would work out just fine on a stock height car, so no worries if you want to try them. I have them on another car and they are pretty nice. They do hum a little on concrete highways, but they ride soft compared to PS2's. Overall I like them a lot.

If you're looking for a good alternative, you may want to consider the Yokohama Advan Sport. In that model, you could run the same 225/45 - 285/35 combo, or you could go wider with a 235/40 - 315/30 combo. The Advan Sport is available in both sizes. I run the 235/40 - 315/30 combo on my OEM twists for HPDE fun and they work great. They are quieter than PS2's but that's all I can really compare to. - One thing to consider; the Advan Sport's are about the same price or a little cheaper than the MPSS.

If shopping for the Advan, have a look at them at Discount Tire Direct www.discounttiredirect.com. Keep in mind their pricing includes shipping when comparing to Tire Rack or others.

Hope that helps sir.

Chris
Thanks for the great nfo. Speaking of Yokohama tires, do you know anything about the Advan Neova 08? They seem to have higher performance numbers and are available in my OEM sizes. This might be a good set for me to try for the track.

Old 08-11-2012, 05:15 PM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
Thanks for the great nfo. Speaking of Yokohama tires, do you know anything about the Advan Neova 08? They seem to have higher performance numbers and are available in my OEM sizes. This might be a good set for me to try for the track.
I believe the Neovas are the best tire yoko has for 18"....I wish they were available in 19's. I run the advan sports in 19's...great tire.

Old 08-11-2012, 08:32 PM
Hams996TT will become famous soon enoughHams996TT will become famous soon enough
No I am sorry, I cannot offer you any personal experience on that particular tire. I've read good things but I never speak about hearsay; only from personal experience.

- Chris

Old 08-12-2012, 10:09 PM
hollywood996tts has a spectacular aura abouthollywood996tts has a spectacular aura abouthollywood996tts has a spectacular aura about
I am on my second set of AD08's and use them 85% track and in stock 18 sizes. Fantastic tire and if you run good neg camber they can be flipped over on the rim to keep even wear.

Stiff sidewalls allow you to run them low psi cold and they heat up nicely and last 8-10 track days and they seem to grip well even when they are near the cords. Love them.

Old 08-13-2012, 07:10 AM
Etchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond repute
I'm going with a dedicated track set of Hankook Ventus TDs as suggested by Mr White on his old GT2 wheels. I was originally going to go with NT01 (size price++) but was up for trying something new.

Should have wheels/tires in a few weeks ahead of Sears Point Sept9th event.

Will do a write up on them-

Old 08-13-2012, 02:01 PM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
26" OD is OK on a stock ride height car as long as it is not lowered. It's closer to rubbing than stock of course, but I have done it enough times that I am comfortable with it. Just watch your OD's, and this is OK. The AD08 is about the closest you do without buying race tires. They are quite remarkable in the dry, but are not as quiet and long wearing as the Michelin is.

Please give me a call if I ca help. Thanks.

**Don't forget to add my name to online orders!**

Or use this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BH1&url=index.jsp
Old 08-13-2012, 10:57 PM
MrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond repute
Ventus TD is my recommendation based on long term testing and shattered time attack records. Well, pricing is alright too.

Old 08-14-2012, 05:56 PM
f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !
I seriously wonder why people do not do the 245/35/18... ??? Can people please enlighten me ?

I run them and Graham ran them in his GT2, it is great, gives rake to the front end and amazing turn in. Why aren't other people listening ?
A lot of folks complain about under steer and this is such an easy fix to help with that.

Old 08-15-2012, 09:23 AM
Originally Posted by f1crazydriver
I seriously wonder why people do not do the 245/35/18... ??? Can people please enlighten me ?

I run them and Graham ran them in his GT2, it is great, gives rake to the front end and amazing turn in. Why aren't other people listening ?
A lot of folks complain about under steer and this is such an easy fix to help with that.
What size would match up to that tire for the rear?

Old 08-15-2012, 09:36 AM
f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !
Kumho Ecsta XS

245/35/18 & 315/30/18 if you want same compound- I have done this compound and these size's. It is awesome.

If you do not mind having different compound.

245/35/18 MPSS
315/30/18 MPS2's

I'm going to do this compound in the next few weeks, when I get my car back.

The 245/35 sidewall for the front really helps. I cannot stress that enough. I'm starting to think that 6speeders love under steer- as Graham and I have been preaching 245/35/18 for years.

Old 08-16-2012, 06:58 AM
ctoro99 is on a distinguished road
OK Crazydriver,

I'm just catching this thread so forgive me if I missed something... I was looking at the Kumhos and Yokos last night since the Michelins are so darn expensive (married with 4 kids, working stiff, yada, yada) and wonder if you have any rubbing at all without mods on this size Kumho?

"245/35/18 & 315/30/18 if you want same compound-"

I really want to go up to a fatter tire on the back my 04-C4S (just got it 2 months ago) but not sure I want to roll fenders or lower it at this junction.
Also, Michelin claims to put an extra inch of rubber on the road with a thread with of 12.5" as oppose to 11.5" for the Yoko and Kumho of the same size - any thoughts on that? The idea of a wider tire in the back really appeals to me but not sure I want to pay the near $150 (per tire) premium for the N4 designation.

Last edited by ctoro99; 08-16-2012 at 07:01 AM. Reason: missing thoughts
Old 08-16-2012, 07:03 AM
Originally Posted by ctoro99
OK Crazydriver,

I'm just catching this thread so forgive me if I missed something... I was looking at the Kumhos and Yokos last night since the Michelins are so darn expensive (married with 4 kids, working stiff, yada, yada) and wonder if you have any rubbing at all without mods on this size Kumho?

"245/35/18 & 315/30/18 if you want same compound-"

I really want to go up to fatter tire on the back my 04-C4S (just got it 2 months ago) but not sure I want to roll fenders or lower it at this junction.
Also, Michelin claim to put an extra inch of rubber on the road with a thread with of 12.5" as oppose to 11.5" for the Yoko and Kumho of the same size - any thoughts on that? The idea of a wider tire in the back really appeals to me but not sure I want to pay the near $150 (per tire) premium for the N4 designation.
I can chime in and say that you can run the 315/30/18 on your rear wheel with a 15mm spacer and no rubbing issues on stock fenders. I have it on my car and no problems at all.

I will say that on a C4S I don't think you'll see much benefit from the wider tire beyond aesthetics.

Best of luck,

Chris.

Old 08-16-2012, 07:33 AM
ctoro99 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the info. Hams996TT,

You hit the nail on the head - looks...is what I was going for - not ready to track this car yet. Any clues as to where to get the 15mm spacers?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: MPSS Tire Options for 996TT?