996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

996 turbo as weekend and track car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 07:45 PM
skyline23 is on a distinguished road
996 turbo as weekend and track car

If this has been asked before, I Apologize. I tried searching but couldn't find specific threads. Anyway, I currently own a supercharged nsx that I use as a weekend and track car, and am toying with the idea of selling it and getting a 996 turbo for the same purpose. So my question is, how is the 996 911 turbo stock on the track, and what modifications are normally done to improve them. More specifically, engine wise I would be fine with the stock power for a while, but how are the oem suspension and brakes (assuming upgraded fluids and pads).

now from what I have read it seems that people say "for mainly track use, get a gt3", but I simply love how the turbos look,and only do track days for fun, so maybe can live with whatever drawbacks the turbo would have on the track.

Anyway, anyone who has experience tracking their 996 turbos I would love to hear any feedback or input you may have on this subject.

I guess my main question is, will the 996 be a downgrade as a track car to what I have now, or does it have potential to be a great track car stock or without extensive extensive mods.

Last edited by skyline23; 09-11-2012 at 08:12 PM.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:19 PM
BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !
HeavyChevy in 3...2...1...

Originally Posted by skyline23
If this has been asked before, I Apologize. I tried searching but couldn't find specific threads. Anyway, I currently own a supercharged nsx that I use as a weekend and track car, and am toying with the idea of selling it and getting a 996 turbo for the same purpose. So my question is, how is the 996 911 turbo stock on the track, and what modifications are normally done to improve them. More specifically, engine wise I would be fine with the stock power for a while, but how are the oem suspension and brakes (assuming upgraded fluids and pads).

now from what I have read it seems that people say "for mainly track use, get a gt3", but I simply love how the turbos look,and only do track days for fun, so maybe can live with whatever drawbacks the turbo would have on the track.

Anyway, anyone who has experience tracking their 996 turbos I would love to hear any feedback or input you may have on this subject.

I guess my main question is, will the 996 be a downgrade as a track car to what I have now, or does it have potential to be a great track car stock or without extensive extensive mods.

Old 09-11-2012, 09:43 PM
MrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond repute
I'll go first bc I'm quicker. lol

A lot of people will tell you brakes need upgrade. That's a myth, at least if you drive 100%. Maybe you need bigger brakes if you drive slow. Assuming you don't run slicks and 800 hp but it doesn's sound like that's your plan.

Use high spec 650 fluid.
Use good pads. Pick a high end brand and track pad per your personal taste, there are a handful very good options.
Disconnect the PSM (bc otherwise it keeps jabbing to keep the car straight - also turned off there is a "core" PSM for your safety - this is what boils the fluid, alt weird driving style with brake and gas pushed down at the same time). I race fast, hard and have done competitive track days in 100+ deg for long track days and I NEVER had brake issues in any of the two 996TTs I had/have. But make sure to use good 650 grade fluid and bleed out old fluid from inside and outside of the calipers before you hit a trackday bc they do get hot, these cars are fast. My car is also not very stripped from weight.

2way coilovers are gold.
Stock shocks on sport springs will be ok but too soft in the long run. Also a huge myth that stock shocks are crap. They are not but you need good springs and a decent alignment. I run equal laptimes to 997 GT3 RS with my stock shocks - I drove both cars back to back.

Good adjustable swaybars are recommended for balance adjustment to what you like. You can pick up a top notch Eibach Racing kit for less than 300 online.

There is an ENDLESS list of mods, but to go start having fun - pads, fluid, disconnect PSM, H&R springs (or coilovers if you plan to do it anyway) and swaybars. You may need a set of GT3 lower control arms front to get ideal camber. Rear the stock camber adjustment is more than enough especially when the car is dropped.

Those would be the very basics to start out.

Run for a while then upgrade where you feel the car needs improvement. Be careful with mods and think it over. There are a ton of myths in circulation. Read the thread "useless mods".

Oh, these cars are very fast. I doubt you will feel that it's a downgrade although NSX is a beautiful car. Maybe you can hit someone up w a 996TT on a trackday to give you a ride-along to get a better feel for it.

GL!

Last edited by MrWhite; 09-11-2012 at 09:57 PM.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:40 PM
f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !
The very basics IMO to make the 996T very competitive at the track, and a great drive would be:

-Like Mr.White stated, brake pads/brake fluid ($60)
+ find a good balance of bite /front to rear. ($600)
I like the pfc 01's

-A track alignment ($200)
-Solid motor mounts ($300)
-Solid toe links/ dog bones - gets rid of the wiggle under hard breaking at the rear ($650)
- gt2 rear sway ($250)
-coilover springs ($300)
-bucket seats ($2000)
-lighten up the car via battery/rear seats etc. ($200)
+ biggest notice of weight you will feel is the exhaust; less pendulum effect. ( your choice $1000-$4000)
-adjustable front LWC arms ($500)
- shorter throw shifter $250
-R comp tires ( $1500)

in a nut shell, that will give you a car that is 99% faster then anything else at the track, given you have the skill - to take it there.

So about $6600 usd, not including the exhaust of your choice.
Boom.

You want to go super hardcore ?

-Throw in 2 or 3 way coilovers - $3000
-TRG droplinks - $900
- ECu flash $1100
-lwfw - $3500 with labor
-gt2rs intercoolers- $1000
-some sort of splitter
-some of big rear wing
-light weight wheels $1800
-slicks $800 for a used pair from a GT race team.
- roll bar $1300

been there done that, and still at it .

Last edited by f1crazydriver; 09-11-2012 at 10:43 PM.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:20 PM
Thanks for the response, this was super helpful.do you happen to know how many sessions you normally get out of stock brake rotors and upgraded pads, and how often do you typically flush your brake fluid?

And as for my comment on if 911 is a downgrade or not, I meant solely as a track car, as I love everything else about the 996 which is why I am having this dilemma now ...for reference, my nsx has 370whp and weighs 2800 lbs, and with no driver aids, mid engine layout and 8000rpm redline,it's a pretty fun car to drive on the track, but the 996 911 has always been a car I've admired,and obviously the engine has 1000 times more potential then the nsx, so the track handling is what I was curious About, and you gave some valuable input so thanks!

Originally Posted by MrWhite

A lot of people will tell you brakes need upgrade. That's a myth, at least if you drive 100%. Maybe you need bigger brakes if you drive slow. Assuming you don't run slicks and 800 hp but it doesn's sound like that's your plan.

Use high spec 650 fluid.
Use good pads. Pick a high end brand and track pad per your personal taste, there are a handful very good options.
Disconnect the PSM (bc otherwise it keeps jabbing to keep the car straight - also turned off there is a "core" PSM for your safety - this is what boils the fluid, alt weird driving style with brake and gas pushed down at the same time). I race fast, hard and have done competitive track days in 100+ deg for long track days and I NEVER had brake issues in any of the two 996TTs I had/have. But make sure to use good 650 grade fluid and bleed out old fluid from inside and outside of the calipers before you hit a trackday bc they do get hot, these cars are fast. My car is also not very stripped from weight.

2way coilovers are gold.
Stock shocks on sport springs will be ok but too soft in the long run. Also a huge myth that stock shocks are crap. They are not but you need good springs and a decent alignment. I run equal laptimes to 997 GT3 RS with my stock shocks - I drove both cars back to back.

Good adjustable swaybars are recommended for balance adjustment to what you like. You can pick up a top notch Eibach Racing kit for less than 300 online.

There is an ENDLESS list of mods, but to go start having fun - pads, fluid, disconnect PSM, H&R springs (or coilovers if you plan to do it anyway) and swaybars. You may need a set of GT3 lower control arms front to get ideal camber. Rear the stock camber adjustment is more than enough especially when the car is dropped.

Run for a while then upgrade where you feel the car needs improvement. Be careful with mods and think it over. There are a ton of myths in circulation. Read the thread "useless mods".

Oh, these cars are very fast. I doubt you will feel that it's a downgrade although NSX is a beautiful car. Maybe you can hit someone up w a 996TT on a trackday to give you a ride-along to get a better feel for it.

GL!

Old 09-11-2012, 11:23 PM
Exactly what I was looking for,thanks!...do these prices include estimated labor as well by any chance, or are they more or less part cost?

Originally Posted by f1crazydriver
The very basics IMO to make the 996T very competitive at the track, and a great drive would be:

-Like Mr.White stated, brake pads/brake fluid ($60)
+ find a good balance of bite /front to rear. ($600)
I like the pfc 01's

-A track alignment ($200)
-Solid motor mounts ($300)
-Solid toe links/ dog bones - gets rid of the wiggle under hard breaking at the rear ($650)
- gt2 rear sway ($250)
-coilover springs ($300)
-bucket seats ($2000)
-lighten up the car via battery/rear seats etc. ($200)
+ biggest notice of weight you will feel is the exhaust; less pendulum effect. ( your choice $1000-$4000)
-adjustable front LWC arms ($500)
- shorter throw shifter $250
-R comp tires ( $1500)

in a nut shell, that will give you a car that is 99% faster then anything else at the track, given you have the skill - to take it there.

So about $6600 usd, not including the exhaust of your choice.
Boom.

You want to go super hardcore ?

-Throw in 2 or 3 way coilovers - $3000
-TRG droplinks - $900
- ECu flash $1100
-lwfw - $3500 with labor
-gt2rs intercoolers- $1000
-some sort of splitter
-some of big rear wing
-light weight wheels $1800
-slicks $800 for a used pair from a GT race team.
- roll bar $1300

been there done that, and still at it .

Old 09-11-2012, 11:25 PM
Also, I see from you sig that you converted yours to rwd, was that for weight savings, handling, both?

Originally Posted by MrWhite

Use high spec 650 fluid.

2way coilovers are gold.

GL!

Old 09-12-2012, 09:52 AM
f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by skyline23
Exactly what I was looking for,thanks!...do these prices include estimated labor as well by any chance, or are they more or less part cost?

Only price that includes labor is the clutch with the lwfw. Other then that, I have always done installation minus a few bits ( shorter throw shifter & lower control arms) but they are easy to do.

I also forgot to mention,

997 gt3 front brake cooling ducks- $20usd for the pair
997T transmission mount- $200

Sub 10k in the proper area, will give you a very, very quick car, that is fun to drive. If you are in SFBA, my car is setup, is a setup I'm sure you would really enjoy.

Old 09-12-2012, 10:35 AM
996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute
Great list between F1 and Mr. White.

I would add a set of 6-point belts to the list.

Old 09-12-2012, 01:36 PM
tkuwaha is on a distinguished road
I have a feeling that you might be disappointed with the 996TT on the track if you place a high value on the fun-to-drive factor. It is, no doubt, a very capable car that can turn some fast lap times even in stock form, but that doesn't always translate to fun if you know what I mean.
I'm glad I held onto my FD track car when I bought my 996TT a few years ago, but I also do not regret buying the Porsche either.

Old 09-13-2012, 08:07 AM
Etchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond repute
I have most of the mods listed by White/F1 and can say this car is a blast on the track. It's worth tracking a few times on street tires to get a better feel for how the cat breaks free and learning to contain it. R-comp give much better stick could cheatvyouninto thinking your skills are better than they are.

Stock rotors with better pads/fluidalsonwork great. Although short/fast tracks like Laguna will eat the pads faster.

Just turned my fastest laps at Infineon (Sears point) with this setup on a new set of Hankook Ventus TD tires 1:54.4. More room to improve, but what a blast!!!

Old 09-13-2012, 09:36 AM
Originally Posted by tkuwaha
I have a feeling that you might be disappointed with the 996TT on the track if you place a high value on the fun-to-drive factor. It is, no doubt, a very capable car that can turn some fast lap times even in stock form, but that doesn't always translate to fun if you know what I mean.
I'm glad I held onto my FD track car when I bought my 996TT a few years ago, but I also do not regret buying the Porsche either.

I very politely disagree with the FD being a better track car or a better car at all. One of my very close friends has one, I have driven it- and their is upsolutlely no way, it is a better car- Very respectfully. I won't get into details as I know (learned from my good friend) that FD owners are very passionate about their cars, and will stick to them and fight tooth and nail, and you will never convince them.

Your FD is track prep, but from what you wrote, it seems like the 996t is still nearly stock ? A well prep 996t, it is a joy to drive-- a stock 996t, yes it can be boring. My good friend who has a 996gt3 enjoys driving my car more then his. You put one bad step in my turbo, and it will eat you. I'm not saying it is not the same on a 996gt3, because it is, but everything happens that much faster in a turbo because of the speeds capabilities in power. Yes the gt3 takes EXTRA finesse to get that extra 2/10s, and that is why it is loads of fun. But in no way is a proper 996t, anywhere near boring- or less fun then a FD or less fast.

996GT3 fun factor / finesse needed 10/10
996t, with my setup / fun factor/ finessed needed 10/9

P.s. Do you know FD Ivan, the legendary rotary builder ?

Last edited by f1crazydriver; 09-13-2012 at 09:39 AM.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:02 PM
While I definitely understand what you mean by fast doesn't always mean fun to drive, but would you mind expanding on why the 911tt in particular was not "fun" on the track? Was it lack of feedback for the driver? Unpredictable handling or squishy suspension? Something else?...and was it something some mods would not fix?

Originally Posted by tkuwaha

Old 09-13-2012, 01:08 PM
tkuwaha is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by f1crazydriver
I very politely disagree with the FD being a better track car or a better car at all. One of my very close friends has one, I have driven it- and their is upsolutlely no way, it is a better car- Very respectfully. I won't get into details as I know (learned from my good friend) that FD owners are very passionate about their cars, and will stick to them and fight tooth and nail, and you will never convince them.

Your FD is track prep, but from what you wrote, it seems like the 996t is still nearly stock ? A well prep 996t, it is a joy to drive-- a stock 996t, yes it can be boring. My good friend who has a 996gt3 enjoys driving my car more then his. You put one bad step in my turbo, and it will eat you. I'm not saying it is not the same on a 996gt3, because it is, but everything happens that much faster in a turbo because of the speeds capabilities in power. Yes the gt3 takes EXTRA finesse to get that extra 2/10s, and that is why it is loads of fun. But in no way is a proper 996t, anywhere near boring- or less fun then a FD or less fast.

996GT3 fun factor / finesse needed 10/10
996t, with my setup / fun factor/ finessed needed 10/9

P.s. Do you know FD Ivan, the legendary rotary builder ?
Actually, you don't need to convince me at all about the 996TT being a superior car than FD. In fact, I honestly do not think they are even in the same league. That's why I bought one in the first place. I do love my FD, but am not one of those delusional owners that you might be thinking of.

My comment was in response to the OP's question about the 996TT being a downgrade to his current track car. You gotta admit a track prepped NSX with 370 whp & 2800 lbs is nothing to sneeze at and has got to be a hoot to drive on the track. My FD with similar hp and weight is quite a bit faster and more fun on the track than my stock 996TT. I'm sure a 996TT can be built to go as fast or even faster around the track, but I'm just not so sure if it will be more fun to drive (This is just my opinion, not a fact). I see two big disadvantages in 996TT when it comes to maximizing the fun factor; weight and AWD.

Some people say driving a slow car fast is the best. I disagree with them because driving a fast car fast is more fun...to me BUT, going fast isn't everything either because I prefer the dynamics of RWD over AWD even if AWD is faster. At the end of the day, everyone's definition of fun is different so as long as you enjoy driving your car, then that's all that matters, right?

PS I don't know FD Ivan personally, but I think I've seen his name on the rx7 forum.

Old 09-13-2012, 01:15 PM
2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute
I can honestly say modding the 996tt for the track makes it less appealing on the daily street driving, I went with everything F1/White but also running very stiff springs, we have very smooth roads and it is a very hard ride around town.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 996 turbo as weekend and track car