996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Hard intake pipes didn't work out...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 12:42 PM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
When the car is on a lift,on the jack up points, when I installed the Evo hard pipes and everything cleared But as soon as we let it down on to the wheels I saw one of them hitting due to the suspension changing the sitting of the car..So had to loosen up the coupler and reposition that pipe..
No big deal..
But some others dont catch that though because they dont check..
Your suspension and how the car sits on the wheels is different then by the jacking points when it comes to running anything near that area..

Old 10-22-2012, 01:00 PM
Basic Sponsor
Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !
have you looked at your compressor wheel on that side. its highly likely that it is damaged from that. chipped fins.

997TT SlowBerry - 205.0 mph 1/2 Mile WR Nov 2018, 9.7 @ 170 mph 1/4 Mile , 3.2 60-130 mph , 2.4 100-150 mph , 1420whp E85
ESMOTOR | DO88 | TPC DSC | SYVECS | COBB | IPD | KLINE | XONA | AMS | ID | ERP | SACHS | TURBOSMART | CSF | DODSON |
Old 10-22-2012, 03:53 PM
TurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond repute
I have a very similar set up. I am glad markski talked me into the flexible intake. Install was easy as the engine was out at the time. I have put 800 miles on so far this summer with no problems or interference at all, and I check often. I did use 1/4 inch felt with adhesive on one side between the fuel filter and intake as that was close. I also used the felt underside anywhere that looked like it might rub.

Old 10-22-2012, 04:23 PM
vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by triblk6spd
Couldnt you hear the rubbing? Didnt you know there was a issue on the initial install of the hard pipes?
Nope. Didn't hear anything and they certainly didn't touch when resting in place. I think moreso under movement in corners.

Old 10-22-2012, 04:25 PM
vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by prodigymb
have you looked at your compressor wheel on that side. its highly likely that it is damaged from that. chipped fins.
We had the same thought!!
Luckily they looked brand new. No worries there.

Old 10-22-2012, 04:29 PM
Originally Posted by 32krazy!
ot question. the pic of your coilovers have the tenders on the bottom. the jrz that are on my car have them on the top. just wondering?
They came from factory that way as I recall. Different designs I assume?

Old 10-22-2012, 04:44 PM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
If the hard pipes clear the bottom components with the car on ground or on lift, wheel one, you will not have a problem during driving / cornering..
I kept an eye on mine for years now

Old 10-22-2012, 05:29 PM
ttpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond repute
same thing happened to mine. i just got them adjusted and fixed...

Old 10-22-2012, 06:27 PM
Originally Posted by johnspeed
If the hard pipes clear the bottom components with the car on ground or on lift, wheel one, you will not have a problem during driving / cornering..
I kept an eye on mine for years now
I disagree (in my case), the drop links absolutely clear until the shock compresses and then they dig in.

The angles/clearances changed enough when I swapped suspensions that it didn't clear anymore.

Old 10-22-2012, 07:06 PM
Originally Posted by vr4henry
I disagree (in my case), the drop links absolutely clear until the shock compresses and then they dig in.

The angles/clearances changed enough when I swapped suspensions that it didn't clear anymore.
Makes sense BUT I am going by using them with my Stock suspension...
I would imagine then that any after market type pipes with a different suspension would have to be check then ..

Old 10-23-2012, 02:06 PM
uschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant future
Thanks vr4henery. This is very informative. I have the hard, heavy plastic intake pipes with the stock suspension, but was thinking about a KW3 or PSS10 upgrade. This is a detail I'd have to think about.

Old 10-23-2012, 05:06 PM
Banned
k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !
Great info.

Old 10-24-2012, 11:05 AM
Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !
soft pipes are junk.. home depot crap. Hard pipe is the only way to go. If you had a professional install them this thread would not exist. You need to trim sometimes or add to clock the pipe right. I have seen STOCK intake piping rub on some coil overs. I had 3'' hard pipes running to my old gt3076's

Old 10-24-2012, 11:20 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Most "professional shops" do not even know how to pressure test a P car let alone install such piping... It does require a engine drop and most are not willing to do that due to costs involved... I have had 3 out of 5 shops not able to install them correctly which is I and some others offer the soft version as an option... my 2001 had this soft version piping on for 4 years... never had a problem... you give this to a P car dealer and they will charge $5k with 2 engine drops... who's to blame? in a perfect world your right but we are far from it and you know that better then anyone else...
I had 2 cars come thru with hard pipes with year and they both were damaged as well... but I do agree that sits all about the install...

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 10-24-2012, 11:46 AM
Tim -- not trying to persuade anyone either way. Just sharing my experiences. I was unaware that changing my suspension setup would put a hole in my piping when they cleared before. DIY'er mistake I guess. The additional cost of the soft kit was worth it so I didn't have to drop the motor again and it was something I could do myself.

Also, a serious engineering question... since the intake pipes aren't really pressurized like boost hoses what's the deal about the piping? Even if it deformed a little bit would that really effect performance? Would that ever be enough to hinder a pair of relatively tiny 18gs? I figure that the big rigs would more suspect to small changes making a difference.

Henry

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Hard intake pipes didn't work out...