6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   996 Turbo / GT2 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-turbo-gt2-2/)
-   -   What is the name (if any) of these wheels on my TT? (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-turbo-gt2/310219-what-name-if-any-these-wheels-my-tt.html)

32krazy! 06-13-2013 01:41 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Steve K ny (Post 3870958)
hey man im really sorry. i didnt realize theyre on your actual car.
i thought you were thinking about getting them and wanted to know what they were called.
sorry for coming off so hard, but trust me , go with a quality wheel. "victor equip" is not something to put on a car like a 911.

your absolutely right. he should spend 5000 to 6000 for a set of 3 piece hre wheels that weigh 53 lbs for the fronts!!:D
the definition of a "QUALITY " wheel doesnt mean they have to be expensive. i have forgestar wheels on mine that are lighter than any of the so called premium wheels and have less than 1400$ SHIPPED for mine.

Steve Jarvis 06-13-2013 02:30 PM

And let's be honest, his aftermarket wheels are probably just as good as the factory one piece cast aluminum wheels. :)

Later, Steve

KC_Michael 06-13-2013 04:38 PM

http://www.944racing.de/wheelweights.php

Slightly off topic, but the link above shows weights for a bunch of Porsche wheels to allow comparison to aftermarket wheels.

'02996ttx50 06-13-2013 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by oldspool (Post 3871488)
I am going to keep these on her until I wear out the existing rubber, and hopefully I should be able to figure out (based on the enormous amount of data on this forum) of the wheels I should migrate to. As most people concur the choices are difficult and certainly vary based on preference/opinion...it will certainly be 19" and black or red when the time comes.

that's not a bad idea at all. take your time. when i got my 1st one i disliked the stock twists and put on victors before i knew any "better" and a cpl buddies helped laugh them of the car for me. but they're fine for awhile as you get used to the ride, curbs and parking stops lol.

have to 2nd 32crazys take on forgestars as i also run them and they are basically the same price point as victor ( really ) and they are track capable and will take anything you can encounter on the street eg canyon rocks. but again, there's a 100 different wheel choices. just not many cheap ones that you won't regret.. one other thought is that you seem to be sold on the idea of 19's as they way to go and you might come to a different mindset about the old 19vs18 debate once you read all the stuff in here.. ask around and hopefully drive both setups back to back. you'll see ( i think ). the takeaway on the topic ( at least for me ) is that the look of 19's can be better achieved by custom fitting 18's w spacers and possibly lowering the car an inch or so..and why else go 19s if NOT merely for looks? just think gt2 fitment as a *guideline*. it's a good one. and it will handle better than with 19's in most any conditions. especially SoCal potholes. just something to ponder in your leisure. good news is you got the car! so GL w it, whatever ya do.

Twinturbofan 06-13-2013 07:26 PM

I'll take the wheels if for some reason the other offers did not work out. I am in Orange County so I would drive up and pick up.

DNugget991GT3 06-13-2013 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by 32krazy! (Post 3871634)
your absolutely right. he should spend 5000 to 6000 for a set of 3 piece hre wheels that weigh 53 lbs for the fronts!!:D
the definition of a "QUALITY " wheel doesnt mean they have to be expensive. i have forgestar wheels on mine that are lighter than any of the so called premium wheels and have less than 1400$ SHIPPED for mine.

i never said anything about price.

no that's not what i meant at all.
he can easily get a set of 997 turbo twists for $1500 all day long. They would look great on his car with some spacers and the right size.
Used (but excellent condition) HRE's, Champions , BBS wheels are all quality.
it's not all about light weight. where is the weight spread ? what is the offset of the wheel ? (will my car handle better or worse than stock), how strong are the wheels (is my entire wheel forged, or just a section ? was it x-rayed ? Have i reminded myself i drive a 911 that puts A TREMENDOUS amount of pressure on the hub of a wheel at low speed turns.

i agree that prices of some of these wheels are sky high . the magnesium wheels (pictured in my avatar) retail for $12000 !! someone actually paid that much for them at one point. i scooped them up in the f/s section for $750.

my gt3 rs wheels retailed for $8900 and i paid $2500 for them in perfect condtion (worked a deal when buying the car with the previous owner).

you can find a great deal on a high quality wheel if you look.

wheels and tires need to be taken more serious than ANY other mod you do to your car. in an an emergency, on a tight turn, on a pothole... what kind of a wheel are you going to want on your 911 ?

Your $1400 BRAND NEW wheels are that price for a reason. its a plug and play wheel they drill different patterns for different brands. they werent tested like champion tests their wheels. they werent put on a track and ran on multiple courses on multiple cars like GMG. they weren't put to high speed , high braking tests like Ruf does to their cars....

my gt3rs wheels weigh 30 lbs each in the rear. heavy right ? when i compare them to my iforged wheels which weigh 26 lbs rear (same size 19x12 3 piece deep dish), the gt3 wheel is easier to spin. take a porsche wheel. put it in your hand, balance it with your fingers, do the same to a different wheel. you'll feel the difference and have a better understanding of what im talking about

Don't buy into marketing hype and think just because my wheels are light they are great.

btw, my 996 is a stock k24 (503 rwhp) car with a flash and rwd that did 60-130 quicker than your car...
... and turbo twists are quite a bit heavier than your forgestar wheels. how do you explain that ?

In my opinion, forgetar, victor equip, vivid racing, miglia some thing , these brand of wheels are absolutely a mistake to put on our cars. stick with a company that tests their wheels. the same goes for tires. i see some of you guys on here having the nerve to ask about some nonsense $200 yokononsense from tire rack that was really intended for the hot shots with m3's and g35's.

check this out.

http://www.mehmetfirat.net/journals/1_journal.pdf

that website explains it much better than i can.

it talks about the numerical analysis of wheel cornering fatigue tests.

one of the biggest stressors on our wheels is when we take those SLOW turns.. the 30, 40mph on ramp turns and are keeping that throttle down.. all that weight is on that one wheel... all that load on that tire that uses a hyundai to market their tires.... all that force pushing against the hub that is the exact same for that wheel in a different car.

somethings gotta give right ? so who's component is gonna give first ? porsche or sumikomo ?

porsche or mr victor equip ?
God forbid someone hits a pothole while driving in on a night like tonight in the east coast where we're getting hammered with rain... and something happens.. what wheel and tire do you want on your 911 ?

'02996ttx50 06-13-2013 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by Steve K ny (Post 3871986)
one of the biggest stressors on our wheels is when we take those SLOW turns.. the 30, 40mph on ramp turns and are keeping that throttle down.. all that weight is on that one wheel...

God forbid someone hits a pothole while driving in on a night like tonight in the east coast where we're getting hammered with rain... and something happens.. what wheel and tire do you want on your 911 ?

lot's of thoughtful and good info in there. couple of things to consider along with that.

you'd be hard pressed to find anyone that has any catastrophic issues with forgestar wheels, let alone on 30-40 mph corners. they must be out there, but i haven't heard any ( chinese wheel lugs, are decidedly another matter :eek: ) but i'm not attempting to advertise or endorse that brand, other than to say, you get to custom offset/size/finish and you won't find anyone anywhere that doesn't agree they are a great bang for the buck, wheel. yes, they're not champions or hre/ or workbrombachers but they cost $1500 a set! and will MORE than suffice for the kind of drIving that 95% of the guys here do 98% OF THE TIME. this is a bad thing? i am certain i punish these wheels. they hold up it's a good wheel, but i am admittedly no expert. i did however listen to folks with extensive experience with wheels on turbo's before i ordered any. people use them as track wheels all the time.. c'mon. and without delving deeper into the intracacies or specifics of forged vs cast which isn;t that what victors are? vs 3pc etc etc. admittedly, you know more than i..some wheels are complete garbage in that price range, of course. i don;t think f'stars are it though.

lastly.. the guy lives in SoCal and it's no longer allowed to rain here.. so not an issue. but i DO take exception to cheap TIRES on porsche turbo's. now that! i'll argue against all day long. cheers.

nyc996x50 06-13-2013 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by Steve K ny (Post 3871986)
i never said anything about price.

no that's not what i meant at all.
he can easily get a set of 997 turbo twists for $1500 all day long. They would look great on his car with some spacers and the right size.
Used (but excellent condition) HRE's, Champions , BBS wheels are all quality.
it's not all about light weight. where is the weight spread ? what is the offset of the wheel ? (will my car handle better or worse than stock), how strong are the wheels (is my entire wheel forged, or just a section ? was it x-rayed ? Have i reminded myself i drive a 911 that puts A TREMENDOUS amount of pressure on the hub of a wheel at low speed turns.

i agree that prices of some of these wheels are sky high . the magnesium wheels (pictured in my avatar) retail for $12000 !! someone actually paid that much for them at one point. i scooped them up in the f/s section for $750.

my gt3 rs wheels retailed for $8900 and i paid $2500 for them in perfect condtion (worked a deal when buying the car with the previous owner).

you can find a great deal on a high quality wheel if you look.

wheels and tires need to be taken more serious than ANY other mod you do to your car. in an an emergency, on a tight turn, on a pothole... what kind of a wheel are you going to want on your 911 ?

Your $1400 BRAND NEW wheels are that price for a reason. its a plug and play wheel they drill different patterns for different brands. they werent tested like champion tests their wheels. they werent put on a track and ran on multiple courses on multiple cars like GMG. they weren't put to high speed , high braking tests like Ruf does to their cars....

my gt3rs wheels weigh 30 lbs each in the rear. heavy right ? when i compare them to my iforged wheels which weigh 26 lbs rear (same size 19x12 3 piece deep dish), the gt3 wheel is easier to spin. take a porsche wheel. put it in your hand, balance it with your fingers, do the same to a different wheel. you'll feel the difference and have a better understanding of what im talking about

Don't buy into marketing hype and think just because my wheels are light they are great.

btw, my 996 is a stock k24 (503 rwhp) car with a flash and rwd that did 60-130 quicker than your car...
... and turbo twists are quite a bit heavier than your forgestar wheels. how do you explain that ?

In my opinion, forgetar, victor equip, vivid racing, miglia some thing , these brand of wheels are absolutely a mistake to put on our cars. stick with a company that tests their wheels. the same goes for tires. i see some of you guys on here having the nerve to ask about some nonsense $200 yokononsense from tire rack that was really intended for the hot shots with m3's and g35's.

check this out.

http://www.mehmetfirat.net/journals/1_journal.pdf

that website explains it much better than i can.

it talks about the numerical analysis of wheel cornering fatigue tests.

one of the biggest stressors on our wheels is when we take those SLOW turns.. the 30, 40mph on ramp turns and are keeping that throttle down.. all that weight is on that one wheel... all that load on that tire that uses a hyundai to market their tires.... all that force pushing against the hub that is the exact same for that wheel in a different car.

somethings gotta give right ? so who's component is gonna give first ? porsche or sumikomo ?

porsche or mr victor equip ?

Great write up! :cool: It's a lot like bicycle wheels. You have lighter single walled wheels with crappy spokes and heavier double walled wheels with sturdier spokes. The double wall is better for performance since it doesn't rob power nor flex as much. Weight is not everything.

oldspool 06-13-2013 11:23 PM

Wow...this is great feedback. I have and am still thoroughly enjoying the conversation. Makes sense about the 18's with the right setup. I do plan on lowering the car to what I believe is "euro" height...or possibly a little lower on PSS9, 10's or possibly JRZ (sp). I also understand that swaybars would be highly recommended along with more stout linkage up front. I have taken away the following from your advice regarding wheel considerations:
1). Research, research, research (strong wheels, strong tires)
2). Aquire something in your budget w/o jeopardizing your safety or the car...based on the application and how you plan to drive the car...good deals and quality wheels can be found for the patient.
3). Leverage other members experiences...priceless
4). In the end it's all about what makes you pinch yourself when come out into the garage and say...well done, that's what my Porsche should look like and why in the heck didn't the factory do this? chuckling

Hopefully I got this right. =)

Steve Jarvis 06-14-2013 07:06 AM

I agree from pride of ownership a the fact that making a good wheel decision also shows that you are knowledgable.

As far a safety, wheels have to pass standards to be DOT approved and sold in the U.S. Let's be honest as a percent of the wheels on the road today, failures are almost none existent. An most people are running cheap cast aluminum wheels.

The biggest down side is cheap aluminum aftermarket wheels have to be heavy to make up for poor design and cheap materials. That doesn't make them unsafe.

Also some of the most expensive wheels are 3 piece wheels. Why are they three piece wheels? So they can assemble multiple widths, offsets, lug patterns and center bores more cheaply with less inventory. There is no functional advantage to having a three piece wheel, other than possible being able to replace a part of the wheel when damaged.

Even though I have Champion wheels on my 911 and had CCW one piece forged wheels on my Supra, I have cheap cast wheels on the M3 I use as a daily driver and HPDE car. Why, because they are fine for 99% of the drivers and 100% of they way they use them.

It's kind of like our cars. A Miata can do anything we want to do from taking us to work, to going to the mountains on the weekend to an occassional dragstrip and HPDE event. But we all have a 911 turbo, because we want more. It doesn't mean that a Miata is a POS just like it doesn't mean a one piece cast wheel is a POS.

To each his own. :)

Later, Steve

King James 06-14-2013 07:09 AM

I did a little research on Victor Wheels just to see what they are all about. Appears they are made by TSW who's a pretty large wheel manufacturer albeit of low cost heavy wheels. http://www.tsw.com/ look down on the right for link to Victor.

Most wheels like this are produced with a method known as gravity casting which is pouring molten aluminum into a mould using gravity to draw the material in. OEM wheels use Low-Pressure casting which means the mould is pressurized which pushes the molten aluminum into the mould making it more dense. There is no real strength problem with gravity cast wheels from a good company like TSW, they will meet the strength requirements however the wheels are a lot heavier than they need to be as a result of having to add enough material to achieve the desired strength rating. Essentially it's the cheapest method of producing wheels and when simply for looks the extra few pounds required to make them strong isn't a factor. A comparable wheel will be many pounds heavier with gravity cast vs. low-pressure cast like OEM wheels.

The scary part is gravity cast wheels that are made with no strength testing like cheap wheels form china. These are wheels that have a pretty high failure rate and the ones you see in pictures that break, scary stuff. With that said lots of guys run them without problems, however I wouldn't be putting them on a 500hp car, lets say that. Cheap gravity cast Rota wheel broken. Pic2, scary stuff (disclaimer: not suggesting this will happen to your victors.. TSW has a good name and been around for a long time. Rota on the other hand, not so much)

Then you have Forged wheels where the aluminum is pressed into a solid block using dies under extreme pressure. As you can imagine this makes the finished wheels super strong and light. This is one of the more expensive manufacturing methods, so these wheels are typically much more expensive. Some wheels are 1 piece forged, some two piece, doesn't really matter, forged is the key word.

'02996ttx50 06-14-2013 09:44 AM

....and this is what makes forgestar wheels a decent option for these cars, at a much lower cost of entry that 1pc forged will be. about 75% less per wheel!

and i take it back. i am shilling for forgestar :)

Forgestar F14 - Flow Formed 1-Piece

Available Sizes:
Diameter: 18" to 22"
Width: 8.5" to 12"
About Flow Forming
Forgestar's Rotary Forged Flowforming process is a unique solution to a common problem – how to make a wheel both light and strong.
This specialized process begins with a low pressure type of casting and uses a special machine that spins the initial casting, heats the outer portion of the casting and then uses steel rollers pressed against the rim area to pull the rim to its final width and shape. The combination of the heat, pressure and spinning create a rim area with the strength similar to a forged wheel. During Flow Forming, the pressure applied to the cast rim actually changes its mechanical properties, so its strength and impact values become similar to those of a forged rim. That translates to up to 15% less weight when compared to a standard cast wheel. The resulting grain structure within the alloy of the wheel is linear, flowing in a single direction.
This grain structure pattern, combined with the exceptional quality of casting required for the process, gives the rim area of the wheel huge mechanical strength, and elongation. As a result of these mechanical characteristics, Forgestar is able to reduce the thickness of the rim area resulting in reduced weight, without compromising strength and resistance to impact.
Why Owners Choose Forgestar Wheels Over Other Cast Options
Great Range of Diameteres and Widths
Forgestar wheels are available in a many different sizes. This allows you to choose exactly which diameter and width you want to install on your vehicle. Not only can you fit your vehicle perfectly, but now we can help you accommodate for your vehicle modifications.
Custom Offsets
Forgestar wheels offer a great range of offsets to choose from, whereas standard cast wheels come in a set offset. Having custom offsets allows for fitment of wider wheels in stock suspension and lowered vehicles. Forgestar wheels are designed specifically for your car and it's suspension setup. Not sure which offset to choose? Contact us and we will help you determine the perfect fitment for your specific vehicle.
Weight
Forgestar wheels are also much lighter than standard cast wheels. These weights savings of roughly 6-10 pounds per wheel makes a BIG difference in regards to handling and drivability. Reducing unsprung weight (weight that is not supported by the car's suspension, i.e wheels, tires, brake rotors, and brake calipers) is one of the easiest ways to improve your car's handling, braking,and acceleration. As a general estimate 1 pound of unsprung weight is equal to 10 pounds of static weight (weight that is supported by the vehicle's suspension). By using this ratio if you were to replace your stock wheels that weighed 25 lbs with Forgestar wheels you would be saving 320 lbs. in static weight!
Strength
Flow-formed wheels are similar in strength to that of a fully forged wheel, without the cost. The process used to make the Forgestar wheels is the same process BBS wheels uses as well. Forgestar wheels are also rated at 1520 lbs per wheel which is considerably more than a cast wheels which are typically around 1000-1200 lbs. per wheel.

NoGaBiker 06-14-2013 10:38 AM

The Victor Equipment Innsbruck is also Rotary Forged. Not the Turismo as shown in the OP's post, though. I bought a set of Innsbrucks for my Boxster S. Had them about a year and have only used them on the street. No problems with them, which doesn't "prove" anything. But it seems a reasonable process for a street-driven car, IMO.

Originally Posted by '02996ttx50 (Post 3872356)
....and this is what makes forgestar wheels a decent option for these cars, at a much lower cost of entry that 1pc forged will be. about 75% less per wheel!

and i take it back. i am shilling for forgestar :)

Forgestar F14 - Flow Formed 1-Piece

Available Sizes:
Diameter: 18" to 22"
Width: 8.5" to 12"
About Flow Forming
Forgestar's Rotary Forged Flowforming process is a unique solution to a common problem – how to make a wheel both light and strong.
This specialized process begins with a low pressure type of casting and uses a special machine that spins the initial casting, heats the outer portion of the casting and then uses steel rollers pressed against the rim area to pull the rim to its final width and shape. The combination of the heat, pressure and spinning create a rim area with the strength similar to a forged wheel. During Flow Forming, the pressure applied to the cast rim actually changes its mechanical properties, so its strength and impact values become similar to those of a forged rim. That translates to up to 15% less weight when compared to a standard cast wheel. The resulting grain structure within the alloy of the wheel is linear, flowing in a single direction.
This grain structure pattern, combined with the exceptional quality of casting required for the process, gives the rim area of the wheel huge mechanical strength, and elongation. As a result of these mechanical characteristics, Forgestar is able to reduce the thickness of the rim area resulting in reduced weight, without compromising strength and resistance to impact.
Why Owners Choose Forgestar Wheels Over Other Cast Options
Great Range of Diameteres and Widths
Forgestar wheels are available in a many different sizes. This allows you to choose exactly which diameter and width you want to install on your vehicle. Not only can you fit your vehicle perfectly, but now we can help you accommodate for your vehicle modifications.
Custom Offsets
Forgestar wheels offer a great range of offsets to choose from, whereas standard cast wheels come in a set offset. Having custom offsets allows for fitment of wider wheels in stock suspension and lowered vehicles. Forgestar wheels are designed specifically for your car and it's suspension setup. Not sure which offset to choose? Contact us and we will help you determine the perfect fitment for your specific vehicle.
Weight
Forgestar wheels are also much lighter than standard cast wheels. These weights savings of roughly 6-10 pounds per wheel makes a BIG difference in regards to handling and drivability. Reducing unsprung weight (weight that is not supported by the car's suspension, i.e wheels, tires, brake rotors, and brake calipers) is one of the easiest ways to improve your car's handling, braking,and acceleration. As a general estimate 1 pound of unsprung weight is equal to 10 pounds of static weight (weight that is supported by the vehicle's suspension). By using this ratio if you were to replace your stock wheels that weighed 25 lbs with Forgestar wheels you would be saving 320 lbs. in static weight!
Strength
Flow-formed wheels are similar in strength to that of a fully forged wheel, without the cost. The process used to make the Forgestar wheels is the same process BBS wheels uses as well. Forgestar wheels are also rated at 1520 lbs per wheel which is considerably more than a cast wheels which are typically around 1000-1200 lbs. per wheel.

DNugget991GT3 06-14-2013 11:00 AM

Bro's

here are some KILLER deals in the f/s section.
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...eels-only.html $1000 3 champion wheels !!!!! u can find a 4th for 5-600 or get a new one for a grand.

in other words you can sell the Victor wheels and get a set of 1 peice forged wheels for next to nothing.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ls-997-nb.html whels AND tires. asking $2500. i bet if you approached the seller with respect and really show how how much you would appreciate having these wheels on your car, they would work something out.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...888-tires.html Hre's with tires for $2500 asking. !!!!

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...condition.html techart wheels. $2g's...
YES theyre heavy, but theyre a GREAT wheel option for porsches. Tech Art. Technology and Art.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...mich-ps2s.html
one of my personal favorite brands. Kinesis.

BEST DEAL OUT THERE
http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...efinished.html <~~~ boom

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...997-gt3rs.html 3 sets of diff wheels for under 2g's ASKING.

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...-widebody.html <~~~ HRE's asking 2k WITH tires. WTF ? ! ? !?

when it comes to used wheels, its ALWAYS a buyers market. Not a sellers market.
the avg price of every wheel i posted is $2000. some even have tires with a lot of tread left.

stock turbo wheels with tires can be sold for $1000 on ebay.
im sure V.E., Forge star, and the rest of those types of wheels can fetch similar prices.

so at the end of the day, we're talking about $~1000 to upgrade to THE best engineered, designed, and tested wheels for our cars..

btw, i didnt mention resale.
used wheels dont depreciate based on owners. at these prices, you can ALWAYS sell them back for what you paid for.

happy shopping.
i want to see you guys with highquality , beautiful, and respectable wheels without even coming close to braking the bank.

'02996ttx50 06-14-2013 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Steve K ny (Post 3872416)

good eyes steve! sport technos for a grand. nice.