996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Yet another coolant hose failure!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 10:46 PM
Banned
996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ASLAN
OK, so I assume this can be done without pulling the engine. Is there a DIY?

Yes theres a couple in the front that can be done but there are 2 others that need the engine out. The most common one that has failed is the one by the alternator.

Old 07-28-2013, 10:47 PM
Banned
996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by '02996ttx50
did i read somewhere that these cars and this issue now requires that coolant line repairs be completed on the cars before they can be tracked? how's that work..? is it track by track discretionary call.. or pca events??

and does the jb weld fix constitute a "repair", if even these new requirements exist? maybe i imagined it. lol

Good question not sure on that i think someone might chime in on this one.......

Old 07-28-2013, 10:59 PM
Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !
it will be instructive to hear of your indies suggested repair. jb weld ( which many have found to work ) or actual tig weld/pinned..

and then there are the costs.. cpl grand at the least (?)
I'm going to be the one doing the suggesting - for a full on weld. And I plan on submitting the bill to PCNA. This is a very serious issue and they're lucky they're not facing a lawsuit for wrongful death or dismemberment instead. Why they haven't gotten in front of this issue with a recall is just beyond me. As I said, if I weren't a member here, I'd have NO IDEA what was going on. And there are a LOT of owners out there who aren't members here. Connect the dots, right?

Originally Posted by 996tt550hp
Well the most common area that goes is the hose by the alternator. We JB Weld it together and so far after 3 months with easy to hard driving no issues. Ya some people will say well thats the cheap way better then spending 3k for right now.
I'm a do it once, do it right person. If I'm dropping the motor, then we might as well "do this."

Originally Posted by audisport84
Vendetta- I live in Huntington and just picked up an 01tt, can you give me the heads up on the mechanic you were referring to in earlier post- Would appreciate it-
Check PMs, neighbor. Hope to meet up sometime.

did i read somewhere that these cars and this issue now requires that coolant line repairs be completed on the cars before they can be tracked? how's that work..? is it track by track discretionary call.. or pca events??

and does the jb weld fix constitute a "repair", if even these new requirements exist? maybe i imagined it. lol
Yes you did. I saw that thread last night. I searched for "coolant hose failure" and it was in one of those threads. Believe the fix is mandatory for all PCA events at this point. Tells ya somethin'.

Originally Posted by TXTurbo996
Sorry to see another members car down because of this issue. However, if it had to happen, a scenario like this seems to be ideal in terms of vehicle/driver/motorist safety. Catch it quick, pull over, and shut off the car before any damage can be done.

Keep us posted on the outcome.
I'm all over it and will share every step of the way with the membership here.

Have any other members been contacted yet by the NHTSA Investigator?

Originally Posted by raineycd
IMO it's a good time to inspect everything while the engine is out and do a clutch or intake pipes. JB weld will only hold that one pipe - there are 5 more that can fail at any time. I just liked to get it all taken care of and not have to worry about it. Plus my mechanic found a bad engine mount and he replaced all the vac lines he could since it was out and they were 10 years old...
Yeah, I think this is a season-ending event for my 6TC. Doing the clutch, the turbos, tune, and a few other goodies - along with the welds - is gonna take a while. Not happy about that. BUT...

...I have another Porsche joining my stable in the next few weeks so I'll live.

Cheers, gang. Stay tuned.
-V

Last edited by Vendetta; 07-28-2013 at 11:05 PM.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:34 AM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Vendetta
Cheers, gang. Stay tuned.
-V
excellent reportage of a nasty event/issue. i applaud your efforts, and like your style. i think you might actually prevail but am not sure anyone has ever gotten pcna to pony up unless it was mandated somehow, outside of warranty. but go get 'em and pls keep us updated. cheers.

Old 07-29-2013, 01:00 PM
Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !
UPDATE: Contacted by NHTSA

I received an email today from an investigator with the NHTSA regarding my report. He requested the photographs and asked whether the cause of the leak was confirmed.

I supplied the photos, as well as confirmation that the leak was due to the failure of the adhesive used by the manufacturer to join the coolant hoses. This was confirmed by an independent Porsche mechanic as well as an authorized Porsche technician with whom the mechanic consults.

The investigator and I are having a followup conversation later today.
-V

Old 07-29-2013, 02:04 PM
Here is the email thread I shared with the NHTSA investigator today. It reads top-down newest to oldest like your typical email.
Names and contact information have been changed to protect privacy.

I am impressed with the investigator. He was articulate and well-versed with the issue. This gives me hope that the problem will be addressed because let's face it, this problem could easily cause someone to be killed or badly injured. There's no need for that to happen if owners are made aware and the problem is fixed model-wide.

Stay tuned,
-V

Vendetta,

Thank you very much for the information and the help with our investigation. Your report is being associated with PE13009.

John Doe

###

Subject: Re: Porsche 911 report filed with NHTSA, #10532180
Mr. Doe,

Thank you for taking the time to speak with me earlier. Is your investigation into my report being associated with NHTSA Action Number: PE13009? I believe they are the same problem.

Also, as we spoke about, the fact that there is no remaining coolant for the thermostat to read and report on once it's all been flushed is another challenge to the vehicle operator. The temperature needle will just sit there indicating the last-known temp, well within the safe range.

Aside from the rear view mirror, and perhaps the odor of the burning coolant (if the vehicle is brought to a halt), there is no way for the operator to know that the engine is going critical. A "low coolant" warning is neither uncommon, nor indicative of the urgency to turn off the motor at once. Especially when coupled with a temperature gauge falsely reporting a safe engine temperature. It's a very dangerous scenario.

Please advise how can I be kept up to date on the progress in your investigation, as it now affects me personally.

If you need any further information, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Kind regards,
-Vendetta

###

On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 2:55 PM, Vendetta wrote:
Mr. Doe,

Thank for you contacting me regarding my report. It is reassuring to me that investigators such as yourself recognize both the dangers associated with this growing failure as well as the importance in addressing it - hopefully before a tragedy.

I am attaching the photographs taken at the scene. They are in the numerical order in which they were taken. The first photograph shows the trail of coolant leading up to the point in the roadway where I brought the car to a halt, prior to backing onto the side street where I awaited help. You will see from the coolant trail that I was driving in the left lane, and then shifted to the right lane where I brought the car to a halt. I shifted lanes when I noticed the vapor trail in the rear view. When I brought the car to a halt, I smelled the burning coolant. And that's when I reversed on to the side street and shut down.

The subsequent pictures document the trail of leaked coolant in additional detail, including just how voluminous and expedient of a coolant purge this was. I can provide higher resolution images if needed.

The cause of the leak has been confirmed as a failure of the adhesive used by the manufacturer, causing a separation of hose from where it was joined. This was diagnosed by an independent Porsche mechanic with over 20 years experience, and confirmed by an authorized Porsche mechanic employed by local authorized Porsche dealer who reported seeing several prior cases of this. His experienced suggestion is welding all coolant lines to prevent repeated failure.

I may have additional information that would prove helpful to you and your investigation, however I'm not an expert on what is helpful versus what is not. I will call you at 3pm ET and welcome any questions you may have for me at that time ,or any time in the future.

Kind regards,
-Vendetta

###

On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 10:34 AM, John Doe wrote:
Vendetta:

My name is John Doe, I am an investigator with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration of the US Department of Transportation. I received the report you filed with us regarding your 2004 Porsche 911 coolant loss. Your report was very detailed, thank you for taking the time to file it with us. I would very much like to have copies of the photographs you mentioned in your report if you could please e-mail/fax/send them to me. Have you had the cause of the coolant leak diagnosed yet? Is there anything else you can tell me would be helpful in understanding the problem you experienced?

John Doe
Federal Investigator, U.S. DOT
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
Office of Defects Investigation
(Additional contact information removed)

Old 07-29-2013, 03:07 PM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
freakin' awesome. i'd sure want you to be the lead plaintiff in a class action, given your attention to detail and ability to articulate and pinpoint the cause of this potentially catastrophic failure... and the guy fawkes mask would just give them fits! lol

Old 07-29-2013, 03:24 PM
freakin' awesome. i'd sure want you to be the lead plaintiff in a class action, given your attention to detail and ability to articulate and pinpoint the cause of this potentially catastrophic failure... and the guy fawkes mask would just give them fits! lol
Thanks man. If Porsche doesn't address the issue, compelled by the NHTSA or otherwise, I would absolutely pursue a class-action lawsuit. No question. As important as the financial implications are, the real threat to life and limb is far more serious. I'll say it again, if I weren't a member here or otherwise unfamiliar with the potential for this issue, I'd have kept driving home with what I thought was just a need to add a little coolant. That means exit ramps at speed on coolant-soaked tires (hello, ditch); possible engine fire; Lord knows what else I can't imagine.

It's really messed up!
-V

Old 07-29-2013, 03:27 PM
i'm sure this is the one and only time i can speak for anyone besides myself in here when i say, "we" support you.

Old 07-29-2013, 04:06 PM
BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !
My coolant fittings blew at speed (approx 120mph) on a race track (with curves). I didn't have a problem of coolant soaking the tires. I don't see how that could happen. Don't get me wrong, the situation sucks for sure.

Originally Posted by Vendetta
Thanks man. If Porsche doesn't address the issue, compelled by the NHTSA or otherwise, I would absolutely pursue a class-action lawsuit. No question. As important as the financial implications are, the real threat to life and limb is far more serious. I'll say it again, if I weren't a member here or otherwise unfamiliar with the potential for this issue, I'd have kept driving home with what I thought was just a need to add a little coolant. That means exit ramps at speed on coolant-soaked tires (hello, ditch); possible engine fire; Lord knows what else I can't imagine.

It's really messed up!
-V

Old 07-29-2013, 04:11 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by BlackHorseTurbo
My coolant fittings blew at speed (approx 120mph) on a race track (with curves). I didn't have a problem of coolant soaking the tires. I don't see how that could happen. Don't get me wrong, the situation sucks for sure.
I would "soak" the tires of anyone behind you..making you liable...

Old 07-29-2013, 04:13 PM
Originally Posted by BlackHorseTurbo
Probably because you were going 120, honestly. I was doing 45 a 2-lane (each direction) road approaching the traffic light (which was red) leading onto the ramp of the expressway I'd take home. My tires would have been sitting in the puddle of coolant for the duration, after which I would have "spiritedly" negotiated the switchback on-ramp. And possibly exited it in spirit.

Glad you're okay, too!
-V

Old 07-30-2013, 12:01 AM
ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !
Excellent reporting and updates V! Anxiously awaiting your next post!

Old 07-30-2013, 05:46 AM
King James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond repute
Anybody on the north side of the border know if NHTSA could impact things here? Wonder how many coolant failures have happened up here and if Porsche would live up to it here.

I know my car seeps a little, never on the ground but when it's 90 deg outside and I have the AC on creeping in gridlock (when the car is hottest), I can smell the sweet smell of coolant. I know its gotta be lightly leaking somewhere.

Old 07-31-2013, 10:11 PM
I'm not positive, KJ, but I imagine that if the NHTSA investigation results in Porsche Cars North America issuing a recall then you'll be covered.

-V

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Yet another coolant hose failure!