6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   996 Turbo / GT2 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-turbo-gt2-2/)
-   -   Intermediate Shaft? (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-turbo-gt2/314535-intermediate-shaft.html)

OEM 08-04-2013 08:27 PM

Intermediate Shaft?

Are intermediate shafts as big of a deal on the turbo engines as they are on the non turbo motors? I'm still learning all the ins and outs of these cars since I just got it, so I'm curious. Plus I'm SUPER paranoid to the point I'm diagnosed OCD so I literally just spent 5 minutes listening to the engine run in my garage and think that almost every sound is a bad sound.

Thanks.

NoGaBiker 08-04-2013 08:56 PM

Sounds to me like your motor is probably toast. Best to just go ahead and replace it. :eek:

OEM 08-04-2013 09:16 PM

Thanks, you're unbelievably helpful.

machinegunt 08-05-2013 04:33 AM

No worries man! These turbo motors are pretty bullet proof!! Research MEZGER and know you have one of the best Porsche engines ever!! The NA Motors on the regular 996's are the ones to worry about!!

NoGaBiker 08-05-2013 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by machinegunt (Post 3910049)
No worries man! These turbo motors are pretty bullet proof!! Research Metzger...

Except spell it "Mezger." :)

On second thought, it's probably misspelled on the internet more than it's spelled correctly, so you may get more hits with Metzger. ;)

King James 08-06-2013 06:35 AM

The engines in these cars, at best, sound like there is a bag of marbles inside. This is entirely normal. They are different than regular engines in many ways so it *shouldn't* sound the same as engines in other cars, noises included.

Few important points:
Dry Sump oiling system
Boxer style engine (not a v or inline)
Mezger engine based on the GT1 Racing Porsche engine
Mezger is the most winning engine in race car history (by large margin)
and Yes it's Mezger not Metzger, named after Hans Mezger
996tt engine has proven to be HUGELY reliable and can take a lot of HP on the stock internals they are so strong.

Essentially everything in the engine of your 911 Turbo is different than regular cars and even non turbo 911s. There are very few known problems most are easily manageable and generally not "break the bank" type fixes. The worst are 2nd gear pop out and coolant fitting welding, both fixed for a few thousand tops.

Turn up the radio and relax, the noises you're hearing are the magic of the car you drive. Keep in mind you're not a Porsche Engine mechanic or engineer, what you're untrained ear is hearing doesn't mean there is a problem. Worst case get a louder exhaust :)

machinegunt 08-06-2013 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker (Post 3910093)
Except spell it "Mezger." :)

On second thought, it's probably misspelled on the internet more than it's spelled correctly, so you may get more hits with Metzger. ;)

Fixed it!! The INTERNETS gets me confused sometimes! :)