996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Intermediate Shaft?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 08:27 PM
OEM
OEM is on a distinguished road
Intermediate Shaft?

Are intermediate shafts as big of a deal on the turbo engines as they are on the non turbo motors? I'm still learning all the ins and outs of these cars since I just got it, so I'm curious. Plus I'm SUPER paranoid to the point I'm diagnosed OCD so I literally just spent 5 minutes listening to the engine run in my garage and think that almost every sound is a bad sound.

Thanks.

Old 08-04-2013, 08:56 PM
NoGaBiker is a splendid one to beholdNoGaBiker is a splendid one to beholdNoGaBiker is a splendid one to beholdNoGaBiker is a splendid one to beholdNoGaBiker is a splendid one to beholdNoGaBiker is a splendid one to behold
Sounds to me like your motor is probably toast. Best to just go ahead and replace it.

Old 08-04-2013, 09:16 PM
OEM
OEM is on a distinguished road
Thanks, you're unbelievably helpful.

Old 08-05-2013, 04:33 AM
machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !
No worries man! These turbo motors are pretty bullet proof!! Research MEZGER and know you have one of the best Porsche engines ever!! The NA Motors on the regular 996's are the ones to worry about!!

Last edited by machinegunt; 08-06-2013 at 03:21 PM.
Old 08-05-2013, 07:34 AM
NoGaBiker is a splendid one to beholdNoGaBiker is a splendid one to beholdNoGaBiker is a splendid one to beholdNoGaBiker is a splendid one to beholdNoGaBiker is a splendid one to beholdNoGaBiker is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by machinegunt
No worries man! These turbo motors are pretty bullet proof!! Research Metzger...
Except spell it "Mezger."

On second thought, it's probably misspelled on the internet more than it's spelled correctly, so you may get more hits with Metzger.

Old 08-06-2013, 06:35 AM
King James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond repute
The engines in these cars, at best, sound like there is a bag of marbles inside. This is entirely normal. They are different than regular engines in many ways so it *shouldn't* sound the same as engines in other cars, noises included.

Few important points:
Dry Sump oiling system
Boxer style engine (not a v or inline)
Mezger engine based on the GT1 Racing Porsche engine
Mezger is the most winning engine in race car history (by large margin)
and Yes it's Mezger not Metzger, named after Hans Mezger
996tt engine has proven to be HUGELY reliable and can take a lot of HP on the stock internals they are so strong.

Essentially everything in the engine of your 911 Turbo is different than regular cars and even non turbo 911s. There are very few known problems most are easily manageable and generally not "break the bank" type fixes. The worst are 2nd gear pop out and coolant fitting welding, both fixed for a few thousand tops.

Turn up the radio and relax, the noises you're hearing are the magic of the car you drive. Keep in mind you're not a Porsche Engine mechanic or engineer, what you're untrained ear is hearing doesn't mean there is a problem. Worst case get a louder exhaust

Last edited by King James; 08-06-2013 at 06:51 AM.
Old 08-06-2013, 03:22 PM
machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Except spell it "Mezger."

On second thought, it's probably misspelled on the internet more than it's spelled correctly, so you may get more hits with Metzger.
Fixed it!! The INTERNETS gets me confused sometimes!