996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

GT2 and X50: Same engine?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-25-2005, 09:42 PM
Cerberus is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by ciggy1
My stock GT2 will pull 1.1 bar at will ... and, the GT2 can put it down unlike any stock TT or X50
Are you sure your car has the stock ECU? If so, you are very fortunate to have that much boost. Your car must run strong!

Old 08-25-2005, 10:25 PM
cnc
Awaiting Email Confirmation
cnc is an unknown quantity at this point
The transmissions are different too, and the suspensions!

Old 08-25-2005, 10:36 PM
ciggy1 is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by Cerberus
Are you sure your car has the stock ECU? If so, you are very fortunate to have that much boost. Your car must run strong!
I've had communications with the past two owners and according to them, the car is stock.

When I first got the car, 3rd and 4th gears were downright scary. Now that I've got a few hundred hot miles in it, I'm ready for an ECU upgrade .... but then again, I really don't see the need for it. It's kinda' nice knowing how strong it runs being totally stock.

G

Old 08-25-2005, 11:58 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
If fast is GOOD ------ Faster is BETTER! Nuff Said!

Old 08-26-2005, 06:17 AM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
Originally posted by cnc
The transmissions are different too, and the suspensions!
i thought the trannies were the same The X50 has the beefed up tranny

Old 08-26-2005, 07:25 AM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
Yes, there are lot of difference in the chassis and drive train component. All of which I know all to well. Don't ask. The original question though was the engine from the X50 and GT2...Same.

Old 08-26-2005, 07:29 AM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
Didn't they increase the hp in the last year of the GT2?

Old 08-26-2005, 07:52 AM
Cerberus is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by buddyg
Didn't they increase the hp in the last year of the GT2?
I believe they increased hp from 456 to 477 for model years 2004 and 2005.

I would be curious to know if anyone with a rare 04'-05' (approximately 30 total in the U.S.?)have dynoed their cars and actually see an increase from the stout 440-454 rwhp seen on fellow members' 02-03 cars.

Old 08-26-2005, 09:06 AM
Ruiner is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by PorschePhd
Yes, there are lot of difference in the chassis and drive train component. All of which I know all to well. Don't ask. The original question though was the engine from the X50 and GT2...Same.
Stephen, if the engines are the same, I know that the GT2, and thus the x50/turbo, can easily handle 1.1-1.2 bar on the stock internals. So, the internals are taken care of...

My question to you is this: Do all 3 setups (GT2, X50, turbo) use the same size fuel injectors? 480cc, I believe? What about fuel rail size and fuel pumps? Same? Different?

The reason that I ask deals with engine longevity and wear. I am thinking about chipping my car to ~1.1 bar (~16psi) on a turbo with k-16 turbos. Couple that with exhaust (perhaps an intake later) and those will be my only mods.

I believe that the k-16s will handle the increased boost/rpm, but how will this affect the fuel system? If the injectors are the same size for all turbo setups, then I will breathe a bit easier. Basically, I want to know that I am not running at a 98-100% duty cycle on my injectors at 1.1 bar. Detonation is my biggest fear right now.

Your thoughts, opinions?

Last edited by Ruiner; 08-26-2005 at 09:09 AM.
Old 08-26-2005, 09:51 AM
DT04R is on a distinguished road
This is something I've been curious about myself - I've seen several "in-the-know" people mention this, but there doesn't seem to be any "official" Porsche documentation confirming it, like on the website.

I'm shopping a TT, and the X50 in the 1-2 year old used market is a decent deal - however, knowing I'll be modding the car, an upgraded tranny sounds like a little extra insurance, and makes the X50 package that much more desirable for me.

Any final word on the tranny on the X50? Same as a standard TT? Upgraded?

Thanks!

DT

Originally posted by HotRodGuy
i thought the trannies were the same The X50 has the beefed up tranny

Old 08-26-2005, 10:49 AM
paneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to behold
This is from Porsche's website:

If you want a little extra: "Exclusive" makes it possible
Porsche 911 Carrera and 911 Turbo with even more power

Stuttgart. The Porsche individual "Exclusive" programme for the 911 Turbo and 911 Carrera models offers even more reserves of power than a sports car from Zuffenhausen normally provides. On the 911 Turbo, the power kit increases the engine power from 420 BHP (309 kW) at 5000 RPM to 450 BHP (331 kW) at 5700 RPM. At the same time, a maximum torque that has risen to 620 Nm (standard: 560 Nm) is now available between 3,500 and 4,400 URPM. The figure of 560 Nm, which the standard engine provides between 2,700 and 4,600 RPM, is now available between 2,700 and 5,600 RPM on the higher-performance 911 Turbo. This means that its power can be called upon over an extremely wide range of engine speeds. With the acceleration remaining unchanged at 4.2 seconds for 0-100 km/h, the maximum speed has risen from 305 to 307 km/h.

The Porsche engineers have managed to achieve this improvement in power and performance by making modifications, which primarily affect the turbocharger, charge cooler, controllers and exhaust system. The basic designs of the manual and automatic gearboxes have both been reinforced, which means that the increased power can be ordered at a recommended price of 12,644 Euro (price in Germany, including VAT) even for the 911 Turbo Tiptronic. Its maximum speed increases from 298 to 300 km/h with a reduction of the acceleration from 0 to 100 km/h of almost half a second, to 4.5 seconds.

Old 08-26-2005, 10:54 AM
Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !
Originally posted by Ruiner
Do all 3 setups (GT2, X50, turbo) use the same size fuel injectors? 480cc, I believe? What about fuel rail size and fuel pumps? Same? Different?
I am informed that all three share the same fuel injectors, rails and pump.

Craig

Old 08-26-2005, 10:55 AM
DT04R is on a distinguished road
Jeez...

...I guess my remedial reading skills need polishing up

Thanks!

DT

Originally posted by paneraiwatches

The basic designs of the manual and automatic gearboxes have both been reinforced

Old 08-26-2005, 11:08 AM
Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !
Panerai,

Is that press release (February 2002) still on Porsche's website? The former link no longer works, and I could not find it (I have a copy saved on my hard drive). If the press release is still available online, I would be grateful for the link.

Thanks,

Craig

Old 08-26-2005, 02:30 PM
LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !
Originally posted by ciggy1
Those who think they may have a GT2 in their future, now is the time to buy, because one day, people will understand and appreciate how special the GT2 is. When this happens, I expect prices to strengthen if not appreciate. Maybe wishfull thinking, but eventually, there will only be so many available and hopefully, I'll still have mine.

G
You are so right you dont even know it brotha! They WILL appreciate. Just wait......

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GT2 and X50: Same engine?