6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   996 Turbo / GT2 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-turbo-gt2-2/)
-   -   Please pass the Cool Aid (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-turbo-gt2/328610-please-pass-cool-aid.html)

CTDan 02-06-2014 08:43 AM

Please pass the Cool Aid

I enjoy reading about all of the divers at the deep end of the mod pool, but I just want to dip a toe and I need some suggestions.

I don't have a huge budget but I'd like to gain some HP for my 14,000 mile 2003 996 TT (not an x-50).

Could you guys suggest where I start, and what I should budget?

I will do one or two DE events per year, so most of my miles will come from commuting on the street. My car is a daily driver and I need it to stay as reliable as stock (or at least understand whats going to go wrong).

I'm in Kansas City Mo. if anyone cares to suggest a tuner near me.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Dan

HIX 02-06-2014 09:03 AM

I think if I were to go back again I would go in this order:

Proper short shifter (cup shifter, cup cables)

Good Suspension. H&R Coils aren't very expensive or KW V1's

THEN for what you need you could do K24 Turbo's (which are stock on an X50 car), and a flash. Possibly Exhaust as well.

If you get used parts that would really wake the car up and you aren't out $10k.

mbgt72 02-06-2014 09:03 AM

Markski (vendor on here and operates 911tuning.com) was running a special for k16 billets + tune + injectors for $3k I think. that's a pretty great combo and should be a lot of fun.

Be warned though anything past a basic flash will probably result in a new clutch.

Edit:
Here's markski's link:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...stom-tune.html

And what HIX suggested is also quite good. the K24's allow a bit more long term options and power, but also involve a bit more investment/cost.

For the track stuff, all the porsche guys will tell you your money is well spent on suspension, mounts, etc. But you asked about hp, so that's all I was listing.

sinKing 02-06-2014 09:13 AM

What is your budget and goals?

CTDan 02-06-2014 09:25 AM

Wow!! the responses are pouring in!

Thank you all....

My goal is to give the Z-06 a run for his money on the highway and general fun factor.

Dan

sinKing 02-06-2014 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by danhaug70 (Post 4041170)
Wow!! the responses are pouring in!

Thank you all....

My goal is to give the Z-06 a run for his money on the highway and general fun factor.

Dan

With just a tune and exhaust I am basically neck and neck with my friends C6Z from a light. We haven't run on the highway so I can't comment on how we compare in that arena.

johnspeed 02-06-2014 09:43 AM

A tune, a short shifter, then an exhaust ,those are needed as the foundation..
Good Luck

AFKC 02-06-2014 10:24 AM

Talk to Karl at RennsportKC in Gladstone. He works on all my cars, and will be workingon my new to me RUF Rturbo if needed

CTDan 02-06-2014 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by AFKC (Post 4041201)
Talk to Karl at RennsportKC in Gladstone. He works on all my cars, and will be workingon my new to me RUF Rturbo if needed

I had a problem with my spoiler ram leaking a couple of weeks ago, and I got to meet Karl. He seems like a really good guy.

thanks for the response....

So, other than the 3k Markski upgrade, can anyone tell me what kind of expenses I should expect for Mods and the upkeep of those mods?

I feel like I have a really nice car, and I don't want to turn it into a maintenance (and bank account) nightmare.

Are my fears justified?

Dan

HIX 02-06-2014 11:03 AM

Man, I've had either K24's or Billet K16's on my car as long as I've owned it.

Nothing has EVER gone wrong except for needing to replace the clutch (knock on wood).

I do oil changes myself.

Oh, my front CV boot ripped. Lol

'02996ttx50 02-06-2014 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by danhaug70 (Post 4041210)

I feel like I have a really nice car, and I don't want to turn it into a maintenance (and bank account) nightmare.

Are my fears justified?

Dan

no.

bolt on mods won't get you into any more trouble or maintenance than a stock car would, provided the components are both suited and proven for the platform. i.e some stuff goes together eg turbos gt2 intercoolers a good tune and maybe 5bar fpr etc to bring you up approx 100hp/150 crank or more.

..and not for nothing, there are at least three guys in this thread using sambott's hybrids ( 16/24's ) or his billet turbos, and he is also always there for after sale support. just sayin'. plenty of options. my advice, if you're not doing "everything" at once? it's best to really map out where you want to end up, and begin sequentially to ensure all your parts will still make sense as you continue down the slippery mod slope.

i'm at about 5oowhp, and it's plenty for me. just bolt on's, and no extra maintenance at all. this is a good mid level sweet spot for both the car, as well as daily reliability. just remember it's an old car, and if you push it, like it asks to be pushed? sh*t breaks lol. GL

SamboTT@ByDesign 02-06-2014 11:16 AM

Those pesky CV boots!

Dan yu will be pleasantly surprised at what 3-6k will do to this car! Have fun!

johnspeed 02-06-2014 11:25 AM

Just stay with those basic bang for the buck mods, at first, that I mentioned above and you will be happy and will have no problems.
It will be like a different car..:)

markski@markskituning 02-06-2014 11:37 AM

Do a proper boost leak test ( good luck you will need it lol)...
markski

CTDan 02-08-2014 05:24 PM

I'm considering an exhaust for my first mod...
Will I HAVE to do anything to run a different exhaust, or will the stock ecu be able to adjust for the free flow?

Thanks again for all of the help. I truly am a newb with this stuff and I sure appreciate your guidance.

Thanks to all, I am taking each piece of advice to heart.

P.S.
I am considering doing ONLY an exhaust mod. Thoughts?