996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Please pass the Cool Aid

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 08:43 AM
CTDan has a reputation beyond reputeCTDan has a reputation beyond reputeCTDan has a reputation beyond reputeCTDan has a reputation beyond reputeCTDan has a reputation beyond reputeCTDan has a reputation beyond reputeCTDan has a reputation beyond reputeCTDan has a reputation beyond reputeCTDan has a reputation beyond reputeCTDan has a reputation beyond reputeCTDan has a reputation beyond repute
Please pass the Cool Aid

I enjoy reading about all of the divers at the deep end of the mod pool, but I just want to dip a toe and I need some suggestions.

I don't have a huge budget but I'd like to gain some HP for my 14,000 mile 2003 996 TT (not an x-50).

Could you guys suggest where I start, and what I should budget?

I will do one or two DE events per year, so most of my miles will come from commuting on the street. My car is a daily driver and I need it to stay as reliable as stock (or at least understand whats going to go wrong).

I'm in Kansas City Mo. if anyone cares to suggest a tuner near me.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Dan

Old 02-06-2014, 09:03 AM
HIX
HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !
I think if I were to go back again I would go in this order:

Proper short shifter (cup shifter, cup cables)

Good Suspension. H&R Coils aren't very expensive or KW V1's

THEN for what you need you could do K24 Turbo's (which are stock on an X50 car), and a flash. Possibly Exhaust as well.

If you get used parts that would really wake the car up and you aren't out $10k.

Old 02-06-2014, 09:03 AM
mbgt72 has much to be proud ofmbgt72 has much to be proud ofmbgt72 has much to be proud ofmbgt72 has much to be proud ofmbgt72 has much to be proud ofmbgt72 has much to be proud ofmbgt72 has much to be proud ofmbgt72 has much to be proud ofmbgt72 has much to be proud of
Markski (vendor on here and operates 911tuning.com) was running a special for k16 billets + tune + injectors for $3k I think. that's a pretty great combo and should be a lot of fun.

Be warned though anything past a basic flash will probably result in a new clutch.

Edit:
Here's markski's link:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...stom-tune.html

And what HIX suggested is also quite good. the K24's allow a bit more long term options and power, but also involve a bit more investment/cost.

For the track stuff, all the porsche guys will tell you your money is well spent on suspension, mounts, etc. But you asked about hp, so that's all I was listing.

Last edited by mbgt72; 02-06-2014 at 09:08 AM.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:13 AM
sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !
What is your budget and goals?

Old 02-06-2014, 09:25 AM
CTDan has a reputation beyond reputeCTDan has a reputation beyond reputeCTDan has a reputation beyond reputeCTDan has a reputation beyond reputeCTDan has a reputation beyond reputeCTDan has a reputation beyond reputeCTDan has a reputation beyond reputeCTDan has a reputation beyond reputeCTDan has a reputation beyond reputeCTDan has a reputation beyond reputeCTDan has a reputation beyond repute
Wow!! the responses are pouring in!

Thank you all....

My goal is to give the Z-06 a run for his money on the highway and general fun factor.

Dan

Old 02-06-2014, 09:30 AM
sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by danhaug70
Wow!! the responses are pouring in!

Thank you all....

My goal is to give the Z-06 a run for his money on the highway and general fun factor.

Dan
With just a tune and exhaust I am basically neck and neck with my friends C6Z from a light. We haven't run on the highway so I can't comment on how we compare in that arena.

Old 02-06-2014, 09:43 AM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
A tune, a short shifter, then an exhaust ,those are needed as the foundation..
Good Luck

Old 02-06-2014, 10:24 AM
AFKC has a spectacular aura aboutAFKC has a spectacular aura about
Talk to Karl at RennsportKC in Gladstone. He works on all my cars, and will be workingon my new to me RUF Rturbo if needed

Old 02-06-2014, 10:33 AM
Originally Posted by AFKC
Talk to Karl at RennsportKC in Gladstone. He works on all my cars, and will be workingon my new to me RUF Rturbo if needed
I had a problem with my spoiler ram leaking a couple of weeks ago, and I got to meet Karl. He seems like a really good guy.

thanks for the response....

So, other than the 3k Markski upgrade, can anyone tell me what kind of expenses I should expect for Mods and the upkeep of those mods?

I feel like I have a really nice car, and I don't want to turn it into a maintenance (and bank account) nightmare.

Are my fears justified?

Dan

Old 02-06-2014, 11:03 AM
HIX
HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !
Man, I've had either K24's or Billet K16's on my car as long as I've owned it.

Nothing has EVER gone wrong except for needing to replace the clutch (knock on wood).

I do oil changes myself.

Oh, my front CV boot ripped. Lol

Old 02-06-2014, 11:16 AM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by danhaug70

I feel like I have a really nice car, and I don't want to turn it into a maintenance (and bank account) nightmare.

Are my fears justified?

Dan
no.

bolt on mods won't get you into any more trouble or maintenance than a stock car would, provided the components are both suited and proven for the platform. i.e some stuff goes together eg turbos gt2 intercoolers a good tune and maybe 5bar fpr etc to bring you up approx 100hp/150 crank or more.

..and not for nothing, there are at least three guys in this thread using sambott's hybrids ( 16/24's ) or his billet turbos, and he is also always there for after sale support. just sayin'. plenty of options. my advice, if you're not doing "everything" at once? it's best to really map out where you want to end up, and begin sequentially to ensure all your parts will still make sense as you continue down the slippery mod slope.

i'm at about 5oowhp, and it's plenty for me. just bolt on's, and no extra maintenance at all. this is a good mid level sweet spot for both the car, as well as daily reliability. just remember it's an old car, and if you push it, like it asks to be pushed? sh*t breaks lol. GL

Old 02-06-2014, 11:16 AM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
Those pesky CV boots!

Dan yu will be pleasantly surprised at what 3-6k will do to this car! Have fun!

Old 02-06-2014, 11:25 AM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
Just stay with those basic bang for the buck mods, at first, that I mentioned above and you will be happy and will have no problems.
It will be like a different car..

Old 02-06-2014, 11:37 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Do a proper boost leak test ( good luck you will need it lol)...
markski

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 02-08-2014, 05:24 PM
I'm considering an exhaust for my first mod...
Will I HAVE to do anything to run a different exhaust, or will the stock ecu be able to adjust for the free flow?

Thanks again for all of the help. I truly am a newb with this stuff and I sure appreciate your guidance.

Thanks to all, I am taking each piece of advice to heart.

P.S.
I am considering doing ONLY an exhaust mod. Thoughts?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Please pass the Cool Aid