996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

For a Few Dollars More

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 01:01 PM
Th_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeTh_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeTh_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeTh_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeTh_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeTh_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeTh_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeTh_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeTh_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeTh_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeTh_Dude has a reputation beyond repute
Video For a Few Dollars More

As mentioned here ( https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-bad-ugly.html) my 996tt is currently in the shop with the engine out having the coolant fittings welded.

Last week I receive a call from my indy who informs me that he has a like new Porsche Motorsport 997 Cup LSD sitting on his shelf and it sure would fit nicely into that 996tt tranny.

Know that I've wanted to install an LSD for some time now. PLUS with pwdrhound's ringing endorsement as to the benefit of an LSD...
Originally Posted by pwdrhound
Perfect time to do an LSD if you have an extra $3k burning a hole in your pocket. Well worth it for probably the best performance mod you can do on these cars.
...it sure seemed like the perfect time.

However, after discovering my clutch was shot, the budget was becoming a bit stretched...VERY stretched.

After a few sleepless nights wrestling with the decision...

...I decided to go for it.

While it only adds to the ever increasing delay until I get my ride back (as well as an ever increasing bill), I know it'll be worth it in the long run.

Until then, my anticipation level is reaching a feverish pitch. My friends and family are beginning to question my sanity....especially when I fall into one of my fits of uncontrolled maniacal laughter....

I'll report back on how the LSD affects my handling...uh, I mean, my car's handling.

Old 09-21-2014, 01:16 PM
03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute
Im sure you'll forget about all that once you drive your car!

Old 09-21-2014, 01:20 PM
rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !
A fistful of dollars is all you need lol. It will be just an expensive memory soon that will hopefully be worth it.

Old 09-21-2014, 01:29 PM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
nice find. that should be a nice upgrade. what does he say about running that awd? i would want to know pre-install. or have you wholly given over to the dark side with rwd

Old 09-21-2014, 01:51 PM
ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !
As they say when it rains it pours.

Sucks that you had all of these problems but I bet six months from now you'll be happy with your decision. Enjoy

Old 09-21-2014, 02:40 PM
z06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond repute
Yep, I have the same story and now I'm waiting for my freshly built trans with a new Porsche motorsports LSD,"just a few dollars more" right?

Old 09-21-2014, 06:11 PM
Th_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeTh_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeTh_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeTh_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeTh_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeTh_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeTh_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeTh_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeTh_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeTh_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeTh_Dude has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 03EvoIII
Im sure you'll forget about all that once you drive your car!
I hope you're right...I'm betting that you are.

Originally Posted by rmc1148
A fistful of dollars is all you need lol. It will be just an expensive memory soon that will hopefully be worth it.
It might just be two fistfuls of dollars by the time this saga ends.

Originally Posted by '02996ttx50
nice find. that should be a nice upgrade. what does he say about running that awd? i would want to know pre-install. or have you wholly given over to the dark side with rwd
Staying AWD for now. A few have done the AWD with LSD and it seems to to work just fine. I may convert down the road. You and I may have to swap rides and compare at some point.
Originally Posted by ReeknHavic
As they say when it rains it pours.

Sucks that you had all of these problems but I bet six months from now you'll be happy with your decision. Enjoy
Thanks for your sympathy.

Originally Posted by z06801
Yep, I have the same story and now I'm waiting for my freshly built trans with a new Porsche motorsports LSD,"just a few dollars more" right?
Good times, good times.

Old 09-21-2014, 06:33 PM
Mish_Mish has much to be proud ofMish_Mish has much to be proud ofMish_Mish has much to be proud ofMish_Mish has much to be proud ofMish_Mish has much to be proud ofMish_Mish has much to be proud ofMish_Mish has much to be proud ofMish_Mish has much to be proud of
I could not find anyone locally to weld mine, nothing but clowns... So here is mine

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20140920_114201.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	2.67 MB
ID:	402432  
Old 09-21-2014, 08:05 PM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
i can't see how it would not be an improvement. yeah i was gonna say try mine first but the next time you can get up here yours will be done! either way, i'm sure you'll love it. keep us posted and we'll have a shakedown cruise when its done

Old 09-21-2014, 08:08 PM
Originally Posted by '02996ttx50
i can't see how it would not be an improvement. yeah i was gonna say try mine first but the next time you can get up here yours will be done! either way, i'm sure you'll love it. keep us posted and we'll have a shakedown cruise when its done
I didn't mean for checking the LSD...I meant for comparing AWD/LSD vs. RWD/LSD. I plan to stay AWD/LSD to start with. I may want to drive your car to feel the RWD/LSD "experience".

Old 09-21-2014, 08:25 PM
wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !
Dude, I hear that LSD will "make the room"

Old 09-21-2014, 11:52 PM
machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !
You know what they say Dude..........Sometimes you eat the bar and sometimes the bar eats you!!! ��

Old 09-22-2014, 05:46 AM
levinsje is a splendid one to beholdlevinsje is a splendid one to beholdlevinsje is a splendid one to beholdlevinsje is a splendid one to beholdlevinsje is a splendid one to beholdlevinsje is a splendid one to behold
Unless you are serious at the track I recommend to keep awd. I am a beginner at the track with only 3 instructed track days and last Friday the awd kept me from spinning out at Roebling. I was going into a multiple corner area too fast and made the mistake of lifting off the gas. The rear end started to slowly come around and I was able to accelerate and pull the car out of the near spin.

Old 09-22-2014, 10:11 AM
Originally Posted by wolfhedge
Dude, I hear that LSD will "make the room"
Yeah, I expect the LSD should really tie the car together.

Originally Posted by machinegunt
You know what they say Dude..........Sometimes you eat the bar and sometimes the bar eats you!!! ��
Is that some kind of Eastern thing?

Originally Posted by levinsje
Unless you are serious at the track I recommend to keep awd. I am a beginner at the track with only 3 instructed track days and last Friday the awd kept me from spinning out at Roebling. I was going into a multiple corner area too fast and made the mistake of lifting off the gas. The rear end started to slowly come around and I was able to accelerate and pull the car out of the near spin.
Thanks for your input.
I'm not a serious track junkie, by any stretch....I AM a serious canyon junkie, though. I plan to stick with the AWD unless I find that the car is understeering/pushing too much in tight corners.

Old 09-22-2014, 12:09 PM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
You are having fun with it. That's what really matters. As long as you don't start going into uncontrolled maniacal laughter on an hourly basis and calling everyone "Pilgrim" with one eye almost shut.

Fun share...Good luck Dude

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: For a Few Dollars More