996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Did some headlight restoration last night

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 09:09 AM
MalcolmV8 has much to be proud ofMalcolmV8 has much to be proud ofMalcolmV8 has much to be proud ofMalcolmV8 has much to be proud ofMalcolmV8 has much to be proud ofMalcolmV8 has much to be proud ofMalcolmV8 has much to be proud ofMalcolmV8 has much to be proud ofMalcolmV8 has much to be proud ofMalcolmV8 has much to be proud of
Did some headlight restoration last night

My headlights looked hazy and horrible. Made the car looked aged and not so cool. I decided to do the good ol sanding and buffing job and get them looking like new.

Upon closer inspection I realized it had a plastic film on them. Pretty thick, about 1/8" thick or so. It looked like it was the plastic film that discolored and was looking bad.

Here's how they looked.

So I proceeded to soften it with my heat gun and work at peeling it off. The adhesive was one step away from been Epoxy lol. Had to heat it quite a bit to get it off.
All the adhesive stayed behind too. Ugg.

At first we tried some Acetone but it wouldn't even touch the adhesive. We had to use carb cleaner. Really had to put some elbow grease in it too. My son and I got some rags and went to work. Eventually we got it all off and then did a final cleaning with soap and water and dried them. What a difference!!

Overall it looks like a brand new car now from the front.

The sucky part is that adhesive was on there so good it lifted a few spots of the plastic headlight lens with it. On the second headlight we got the film so hot it was burning my fingers and it still pulled up a few spots of plastic. Luckily it was just around the edges and no one can really tell unless pointed out. Also around that sliver piece in the headlights (what is that? a headlight washer squirter or just for show?) it left some permanently etched in marks and kinda ruined the lights a bit. After seeing the damage it did to the headlights I'd never put one of those clear bra deals on a cars headlights. It did more damage than good.

I have other vehicles with much more miles that I just take care of and their headlights are in perfect condition.