6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   996 Turbo / GT2 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-turbo-gt2-2/)
-   -   Question for the folks using injector dynamics (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-turbo-gt2/378821-question-folks-using-injector-dynamics.html)

Red911TT 12-07-2015 09:41 AM

Question for the folks using injector dynamics

1 Attachment(s)
I've got ID1000s in my 996tt and am having a really strange problem. I'm using the one piece jetronic to uscar adpaters (see picture) to connect the new style injectors to the factory harness.

Long story short, when I first fired up the car, cylinder 1 wasn't firing. Changed the adapter and all was cured. I've been working with Sam on getting the tune in the car sorted out and as we're making progress I had the same failure on Saturday night.

I'm curious, for those of you that are using ID injectors, are you using these same adapters and have you had any kind of issue with the adapters.

Thanks for any help.

SamboTT@ByDesign 12-07-2015 10:37 AM

Hey bud, glad you put that picture up. Those are definitely different than the adapters Cobb uses and I would not doubt it's your issue. I will try to get you a set

Red911TT 12-07-2015 10:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by SamboTT@ByDesign (Post 4438135)
Hey bud, glad you put that picture up. Those are definitely different than the adapters Cobb uses and I would not doubt it's your issue. I will try to get you a set

Thanks for confirming I've got non-Cobb adapters Sam.

It would be great if you can get me a set and that solves the problem. That way I don't have to dick with pulling an injector out of the car. I ordered new ones that use factory style connectors on either end:

I ordered the connectors pictured below that use Delphi and Bosch manufactured connectors on both ends. However, using an adapter from Cobb that you know works is probably the way to go.

SamboTT@ByDesign 12-07-2015 11:12 AM

You know what, after opening the box and taking a look they are the same as your original picture. I used to deal with so many different set ups I got them confused. For what it's worth the ones that I received from Cobb I've never had an issue with. Same with the Bosch injectors Sean is talking about.

itguy 12-07-2015 12:47 PM

For anything 1000cc and larger, Bosch has a line of injectors using the same style connector as the OE injectors which do not require a harness. Your ID 1000's started life as a 550cc or 630cc injector that was modified. The one pictured is a factory 1000cc injector.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.6sp...cef227c62e.jpg

32krazy! 12-07-2015 05:44 PM

i have the id 1300 and had the connectors hard wired into the harness. every time i use adapters they suck and misfire. i would suggest either hardwire them or use the fid injectors from srm

pteck 12-07-2015 05:52 PM

I'm about to do this upgrade as well and I'm not opposed to modifying the harness if it makes for a more reliable connection.

How are you going about hard wiring this? Is there a connector kit for the IDs/Cobb?

32krazy! 12-07-2015 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by pteck (Post 4438376)
I'm about to do this upgrade as well and I'm not opposed to modifying the harness if it makes for a more reliable connection.

How are you going about hard wiring this? Is there a connector kit for the IDs/Cobb?

you get pins and caps from id. solder the pins onto the harness and push them into the cap

Red911TT 12-08-2015 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by 32krazy! (Post 4438375)
i have the id 1300 and had the connectors hard wired into the harness. every time i use adapters they suck and misfire. i would suggest either hardwire them or use the fid injectors from srm

Great to hear I'm not the only one having issues with those adapters. I've never used them before and thought they would be fine.

I didn't hardwire the connectors because I didn't want to chop up the harness. The adapters I bought to replace the current adapters are built using actual Delphi and Bosch connectors, so as adapters go it doesn't get any better than that.

I'm hoping it's the connector but the fact that it's the same injector that is giving me issues makes me wonder if it is the injector itself or if there is something is getting hot near the adapter causing it to internally distort and fail. There was a slight deformation in the first connector that was removed but I presumed it was a manufacturing error.

I'll keep the thread updated...

Red911TT 12-08-2015 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by pteck (Post 4438376)

32Krazy is absolutely correct...replacing the connectors at the harness is the way to go if you are not opposed to cutting the stock harness.

I have used ID injectors in other applications and the connectors that ship with the injectors are not the greatest quality. I would strongly recommend spending a few extra bucks and buying prebuilt Delphi brand connectors with TXL wire. They are fully assembled and all you need to do is cut your existing connectors and solder the new pigtail in place. Very easy to do if the harness is easily accessible.

pteck 12-08-2015 04:54 PM

You'd think that by buying a premium injector, that these issues would not even need to be talked about. Sigh...

Thanks for the insightful input.

32krazy! 12-08-2015 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by pteck (Post 4438795)
You'd think that by buying a premium injector, that these issues would even need to be talked about. Sigh...

injectors from epl that were bad from the nib bag, id injectors connectors and 2150 fic injectors that leak. basically all the injectors suck. just my .02

BLKMGK 12-08-2015 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by pteck (Post 4438795)
You'd think that by buying a premium injector, that these issues would not even need to be talked about. Sigh...

You might consider messaging Paul Yaw on FB about the ID injector. He's a little busy out of town in Indianaoplis for the PRI show but he does seem to care a great deal about putting out a quality product.

That said, FIC are going on my car here soon so I'm obviously not affiliated hilarious

sinKing 12-09-2015 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by 32krazy! (Post 4438799)
injectors from epl that were bad from the nib bag, id injectors connectors and 2150 fic injectors that leak. basically all the injectors suck. just my .02

This thread has me reconsidering upgrading my injectors when I install my turbos. I may just do a 5 bar FPR and keep my power down.

Are there any injectors that use our OE style connectors and are OE reliable? This isn't a job I want to have to do twice.

Tony@epl 12-09-2015 07:07 AM

2 VERY important comments about injectors and the 996tt.

1. There are now unmodified Bosch 60lb injectors with the correct plug end for the 996tt harness which for MOST of you guys on stock motor will be "enough" at least for pump fuel tuning.

2. When ever installing injectors on these cars.... either its oem style plugs or you're using an adapter, its it critical.... let me repeat CRITICAL to fill all plug ends with dielectric grease .