996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Upgrading factory amplifier?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 06:44 PM
xmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant future
Upgrading factory amplifier?

Hey everyone,

Is there a simple way to upgrade the factory amplifier with an aftermarket one while keeping the stock radio?

I believe the factory amp is going out. Is there a way to install 4 channel aftermarket amp even though the stock radio doesn't have RCA connectors? Are there any harness kits that would do this conversion without the need to upgrade the radio.

I'm a complete noob when it comes to car audio.

Old 04-04-2016, 09:06 PM
vogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by xmaciek82x
Hey everyone,

Is there a simple way to upgrade the factory amplifier with an aftermarket one while keeping the stock radio?

I believe the factory amp is going out. Is there a way to install 4 channel aftermarket amp even though the stock radio doesn't have RCA connectors? Are there any harness kits that would do this conversion without the need to upgrade the radio.

I'm a complete noob when it comes to car audio.
If you have an 01 or 02 you might be able to wire it up, but 03+ with the fiber optic MOST system, definitely not. That said, if you are upgrading the amp you might as well upgrade the factory deck to something with modern features.

Old 04-04-2016, 10:31 PM
xmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by vogz
If you have an 01 or 02 you might be able to wire it up, but 03+ with the fiber optic MOST system, definitely not. That said, if you are upgrading the amp you might as well upgrade the factory deck to something with modern features.
It's an 01. No MOST system. I was all for upgrading the stock radio (even have multiple threads about it) but after I got my AUX cable hooked up and my Bluetooth dongle, I really don't need a new radio. The stock flows better with the interior design of the car then an aftermarket ever will. Probably something I will upgrade in the future just not anytime soon. My stock amp is going out so curious if I have any options on getting a 4 channel aftermarket amp connected to a stock radio.

Old 04-05-2016, 01:43 PM
vogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by xmaciek82x
It's an 01. No MOST system. I was all for upgrading the stock radio (even have multiple threads about it) but after I got my AUX cable hooked up and my Bluetooth dongle, I really don't need a new radio. The stock flows better with the interior design of the car then an aftermarket ever will. Probably something I will upgrade in the future just not anytime soon. My stock amp is going out so curious if I have any options on getting a 4 channel aftermarket amp connected to a stock radio.
Will have to find one that is 2 ohm stable and even then you won't be able to drive all the speakers unless you install crossovers and buy a 5 channel amp instead to drive the subs too.

Old 04-05-2016, 05:30 PM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
I *might* have a stock amp if you cannot find a replacement in the aftermarket. My system was completely redone top to bottom and I don't expect I'll be needing the stock amp, hopefully to in a box...

Old 04-06-2016, 09:29 AM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
what "bluetooth" dongle did you use. Are you able to stream music through it?

Old 04-06-2016, 10:01 AM
Originally Posted by BLKMGK
I *might* have a stock amp if you cannot find a replacement in the aftermarket. My system was completely redone top to bottom and I don't expect I'll be needing the stock amp, hopefully to in a box...
Based on what I learned so far, it looks like a pain to replace the OEM amp and keep the stock radio. My car came with the Carrera High Performance Audio option and the amp is different then the regular ones. Mine is still good, but one channel is making one speaker crackle only for the first 10 seconds of starting the car. If I ever need a regualr stock amp, I'l let you know. But if this one last the next year then I'll probably just upgrade the radio and use RCA cables to connect aftermarket amp.

Originally Posted by HotRodGuy
what "bluetooth" dongle did you use. Are you able to stream music through it?
I bought this one years ago and used it in my CTS-V since it only had BT for voice and not music streaming.

It connects to the AUX cable via a female to female AUX coupler. I only use it for streaming music.

Works great. Quality of music is like listening to CD.

BT dongle
Amazon.com: GOgroove BlueGate Bluetooth Wireless Receiver for Home Stereos , Portable Speakers , Headphones and Car Music Sound Systems - Works with Apple , Samsung , HTC , LG , Sony and More Smartphones , Tablets , and MP3 Players: Electronics Amazon.com: GOgroove BlueGate Bluetooth Wireless Receiver for Home Stereos , Portable Speakers , Headphones and Car Music Sound Systems - Works with Apple , Samsung , HTC , LG , Sony and More Smartphones , Tablets , and MP3 Players: Electronics

AUX Cable
Amazon.com: GolitonĀ® 3.5mm AUX Input Jack Adapter Cable MP3 iPod for VW 8 Pin: MP3 Players & Accessories Amazon.com: GolitonĀ® 3.5mm AUX Input Jack Adapter Cable MP3 iPod for VW 8 Pin: MP3 Players & Accessories

Coupler
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_i...iHpBoC6RPw_wcB