996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Saw a 959 on the street today

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 11:18 PM
roadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to behold
Saw a 959 on the street today

I was out on a fun run this morning with the Houston 500+hp club going west on I-10. We stopped to recollect the group and a red 959 pulls into a Shell station behind us (Brookshire Exit). Most of the club did not see it as they were leaving. It had Louisiana plates. The owner was very laid back and we chatted for a minute but I had to leave to catch up with the group. I handed him my card and email. I sure hope that he contacts me. I still can't believe I saw one so randomly. It was perfect. I knew what I was seeing but it didn't really hit me until later. I wish I had blown off the group and talked more! Fortunately my passenger videotaped it sitting there. It's interesting how understated it looks. I don't think most people would give it a second look...whereas I was barely thinking straight, not believing my eyes!

Old 12-19-2005, 11:28 PM
mikerosi is a jewel in the roughmikerosi is a jewel in the roughmikerosi is a jewel in the rough
Nice!!! I saw a silver 959 at Sonnen Porsche in CA,. It had dealer plates and 55K on the speedo. They are not legal in the US and have to be federalized. unless you have dealer plates. Those cars are stunning to say the least.

Old 12-19-2005, 11:30 PM
kem
kem is on a distinguished road
And I dont think you can federalize a car unless some have been crash tested, something that will never never happen with a 959.

Originally posted by mikerosi
Nice!!! I saw a silver 959 at Sonnen Porsche in CA,. It had dealer plates and 55K on the speedo. They are not legal in the US and have to be federalized. unless you have dealer plates. Those cars are stunning to say the least.

Old 12-19-2005, 11:32 PM
roadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to behold
I thought that now they can be legalized due to recent legislation that was pushed through by (none other than) Bill Gates.

Old 12-19-2005, 11:48 PM
mikerosi is a jewel in the roughmikerosi is a jewel in the roughmikerosi is a jewel in the rough
Yes the 959`s can be federalized now. One of the companies that do it is Bruce Canepa in Santa Cruz CA. The biggest problem is with the motor. He actually increases horsepower, changes injection, etc and it passes CA smog! amazing really. Not sure how he crash tests it though.

Old 12-19-2005, 11:54 PM
teflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant future
Originally posted by roadsterdoc
I thought that now they can be legalized due to recent legislation that was pushed through by (none other than) Bill Gates.
Yes, the 959 can now be imported into the U.S. It's called Show and display(CLICK HERE).

Mike,

Canepa does not federalize the cars. He modifies them, but he cannot federalize them. This has to be done by an Independent Commercial Importer (ICI) and I do not see Canepa anywhere on the list. You can view the May 23, 2005 list here: Approved ICIs(PDF)

I'm not sure if there is a more current list, but I highly doubt Canepa's status has changed.

If anyone is interested in learning more about the process there are some very enlightening posts on this site that can be found by searching for posts made by violin959.

Greg A

EDIT: Mikerosi posted while I was typing this response.

Last edited by teflon; 12-20-2005 at 12:05 AM.
Old 12-19-2005, 11:57 PM
fasteddiett has a spectacular aura aboutfasteddiett has a spectacular aura about
Originally posted by mikerosi
Yes the 959`s can be federalized now. One of the companies that do it is Bruce Canepa in Santa Cruz CA. The biggest problem is with the motor. He actually increases horsepower, changes injection, etc and it passes CA smog! amazing really. Not sure how he crash tests it though.
They (Canepa) have 6 or 7 of them in the shop now being converted.... pretty cool sight to see.... I felt pretty cool rolling up in my gt2 only to look at a row of 959's sitting there.... kinda took the wind outta my sales for a breif moment

Old 12-20-2005, 12:03 AM
LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !
Pics, vid?

Old 12-20-2005, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by LUIS95993
Pics, vid?
I'm working on getting the video. I'm waiting for a reply from my passenger, who I met at the car meet that same morning.

Old 12-20-2005, 12:15 AM
alex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond repute
Canepa used to have 10 of them, I think Bill Gates bought one,LOL. They cost the same as the Carrera GT if I'm not mistaken. I saw one of those silver 959, at this years Carlsen concours in the Bay Area. There's a Red one at Sonnen Porsche..

Old 12-20-2005, 09:02 AM
ZLP
ZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud of
Originally posted by alex911s
Canepa used to have 10 of them, I think Bill Gates bought one,LOL. They cost the same as the Carrera GT if I'm not mistaken. I saw one of those silver 959, at this years Carlsen concours in the Bay Area. There's a Red one at Sonnen Porsche..
He has more than that at his shop. They actually make a lot of changes to the car. The whole thing is torn apart and put back better than new. The engine is reworked and the turbos are parallel instead of sequential.

Old 12-20-2005, 09:25 AM
fasteddiett has a spectacular aura aboutfasteddiett has a spectacular aura about
he's getting upwards of 600k these days for them depending on mileage etc....

Old 12-20-2005, 02:09 PM
turbo_freak is on a distinguished road
this thread is worthless without pics

Old 12-20-2005, 02:44 PM
Dabum is an unknown quantity at this point
Totally worthless!

We need videos damnit!

Old 12-20-2005, 03:07 PM
Meaty69Camaro is a jewel in the roughMeaty69Camaro is a jewel in the roughMeaty69Camaro is a jewel in the rough
Re: Saw a 959 on the street today

Originally posted by roadsterdoc
I was out on a fun run this morning with the Houston 500+hp club going west on I-10. We stopped to recollect the group and a red 959 pulls into a Shell station behind us (Brookshire Exit). Most of the club did not see it as they were leaving. It had Louisiana plates. The owner was very laid back and we chatted for a minute but I had to leave to catch up with the group. I handed him my card and email. I sure hope that he contacts me. I still can't believe I saw one so randomly. It was perfect. I knew what I was seeing but it didn't really hit me until later. I wish I had blown off the group and talked more! Fortunately my passenger videotaped it sitting there. It's interesting how understated it looks. I don't think most people would give it a second look...whereas I was barely thinking straight, not believing my eyes!
I can back Chris up on this! I ran to where I could see if from a distance and that car was STUNNING!!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Saw a 959 on the street today