996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

power steering leak troubleshooting

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-22-2016, 07:26 PM
rickjaffe is on a distinguished road
power steering leak troubleshooting

I noticed some yellowly fluid underneath he back of the car, center towards the passanger side. tried to drive it, but I got a minor grinding sound when turning. been there before with power steering leaks on american cars. I checked the fluid and it was pretty low. seems like I've got something wrong, maybe the pressure hose, or worse.
anything I can easily do and take off to try to localize the problem. I got enough fluid on the floor (which I've never had before) to believe it's a leak rather than just usage over time (haven't added fluid since I bought the car 2.5 years ago).

of course I'll try to add some fluid, but I assume it's going to leak out.
so I want to see if I can find where it's coming from.

Old 10-22-2016, 07:33 PM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
Follow the trail, last issue I had years ago was the hardline to the clutch booster. Be aware, it's Pentosin not a normal fluid and it will EAT rubber big time so clean it up asap!!

Old 10-22-2016, 08:12 PM
rickjaffe is on a distinguished road
Ps leak?

Interesting because my clutch before start up is hard. I had the clutch accumulator replaced when i got the car a couple yesrs ago. In the past yes it's gotten progressively hard, but only before I start the car. Once the car is running the clutch works fine. From previous threads it seems to me the power steering fluid can leak into some boot for the clutch accumulator but that would not cause a leak on the ground. I have a leak on the ground.
I guess I will start by adding fluid start the car up and have someone turn the steering wheel and see if I can see from the top of the engine where the leak is coming from

Old 10-23-2016, 06:00 AM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
slave and accumulator are going out agin. this is a very common problem. slave uses the petosin from the p/s. start at the trans thats were you will find the leaks

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.