6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   996 Turbo / GT2 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-turbo-gt2-2/)
-   -   Bendable tubing for bigger intake (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-turbo-gt2/403470-bendable-tubing-bigger-intake.html)

markski@markskituning 03-11-2017 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by brnrdtns (Post 4616371)
The blue grey tubing is tough an it is the smoothest inside. After installing Markski's parts I've come full circle. I think it is worth it. It fits perfectly and the weight savings are significant. Really nice setup.

:). It works and serves the purpose. The hard piping is so hard to set up even with the engine out because you have no clue where the subframe mount will be in relation to the piping thus requiring often dropping it again and getting to the hard to get to clamps. It really is a pain in the butt.

pwdrhound 03-11-2017 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by MARKSKI@911tuning (Post 4616381)
:) The hard piping is so hard to set up even with the engine out because you have no clue where the subframe mount will be in relation to the piping thus requiring often dropping it again and getting to the hard to get to clamps. It really is a pain in the butt.

That's an understatement, Lol. I wanted to fly down to Arizona and choke the life out of the guys that designed the black plastic pipes that Evoms and Speedtech is selling. Luckily you only have go do it once and then you're set for the life of the car. I don't regret it but its a royal biatch to install.

markski@markskituning 03-11-2017 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by pwdrhound (Post 4616417)
That's an understatement, Lol. I wanted to fly down to Arizona and choke the life out of the guys that designed the black plastic pipes that Evoms and Speedtech is selling. Luckily you only have go do it once and then you're set for the life of the car. I don't regret it but its a royal biatch to install.

lol. I know first hand trust me

VGLNTE1 03-12-2017 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by brnrdtns (Post 4616371)
The blue grey tubing is tough an it is the smoothest inside. After installing Markski's parts I've come full circle. I think it is worth it. It fits perfectly and the weight savings are significant. Really nice setup.

I've learned if something is more expensive, there is probably a reason. Not worth saving a few bucks to waste 10X the time to do something.

911mhawk 03-12-2017 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by pwdrhound (Post 4616417)

Hilarious, I laughed at this one as I had the exact same thought when I was lowering the engine out to trim the piping after realizing it didn't quite clear crossmember. This kit is bomber but was one of the most PITA things I've dealt with in a long time.

RDS993 03-18-2017 02:48 AM

Ceramic coated aluminum Plenum

1 Attachment(s)
Would it help with engine heat issues if the Markski plenum was ceramic coated?

Thxs

markski@markskituning 03-18-2017 09:22 AM

It would not hurt but then you can start coating everything from headers to exhaust. Lol

run a meth / water kit and all your engine issues temp issues will go away ;)

RDS993 03-18-2017 09:39 AM

Ok- once I order it & I will send it out for Ceramic coating.

As soon as I get my tax refund.

VGLNTE1 03-18-2017 11:32 PM

You ceramic coat things to keep heat in. I wouldn't want to keep heat inside that, I'd want to dissipate it.

32krazy! 03-19-2017 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by VGLNTE1 (Post 4618611)
You ceramic coat things to keep heat in. I wouldn't want to keep heat inside that, I'd want to dissipate it.

thats correct. you would teflon coat the outside of the metal piece to keep heat out

BauerR 03-19-2017 06:06 AM

Paint it black.

DaveCarrera4S 03-19-2017 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by BauerR (Post 4618636)
Paint it black.

Actually flat black... for a better black body radiator. Teflon or ceramic adds another insulation layer. Ceramic thermal conductivity is not as bad as Teflon, but still an order of magnitude worse than bare metal. The black paint would essentially not change the conductivity. All that said, I'd guess any of these treatments would not make a difference on the air temperature entering the motor. ;)

BLKMGK 03-19-2017 09:22 AM

The problem with flat black is that it will absorb as well as radiate. Biggest thing I'd try to do is limit or insulate physical contact with the motor, air is a terrific insulator. Any contact will transmit heat well. Build the piece from plastic vs aluminum and use plastic tubing to best insulate everything.

Or just eliminate the tubing and run fender inlets lol.

VGLNTE1 03-20-2017 07:12 AM

I think you guys are looking into this way to much. lol. Id be concerned if it was a dedicated road course car. Otherwise.............

brnrdtns 03-20-2017 08:14 AM

Nah don't bother covering this.