996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

996TT intermix, lots of oil in driver side inlet hose

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 04:11 PM
brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !
Yes you had better do studs and rods, i still think your studs stretched and jammed pressure down in there ruining your oring.

Old 04-30-2017, 05:44 PM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Thklinge
Finally got around to poking some more and found the culprit. Someone has at sometime had the engine apart (markings on heads and on pistons indicating placement for reassembly). When reinstalling the liners they've managed to either twist it or otherwise damage the top of the two bottom o-rings. When the bottom of the two failed it allowed water to seap down into the sump from cylinder 2. Cyl 5 was also less than perfect, the other two were ok. New o-rings ordered.

Glad to finally find a proper fault and eager to get it back on the road.
OMG!!!! Thanks for the update, hope you will get it back on the road soon! Good luck!

Old 04-30-2017, 07:21 PM
Thklinge can only hope to improve
Not planning on going past 600 hp, and won't keep the car that long. I'll go for a 997 Turbo, 981 GTS or 991 S sometime this year. And since splitting the block is a lot more work and the studs measured perfectly I'll keep things as they are.

Old 04-30-2017, 09:46 PM
brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !
Oil filter milkshake, no rebuild, this car is a buyers worst nightmare!

Old 04-30-2017, 10:01 PM
Correction, engine builder says it will be split and everything in the bottom will be checked and items requiring replacement will be done. No performance upgrades though.

Old 05-01-2017, 09:44 AM
stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !
I don't think this is necessarily true, Steve. Justifying a $2000 price bump for upgraded rods is difficult anywhere, but especially in Europe. Vehicle safety inspections here are notoriously tough; in general you cannot change anything to enhance performance without getting an approval from the inspection bodies (TüV in Germany, Controle Technique in France, etc). This approval is often very expensive, and generally means that only tuners (Ruf, TechArt, etc) go through with this procedure. DIY performance mods are looked upon less favorably than in the US. Cultural difference. The UK is different, BTW. Every self-respecting male has a "shed" in his backyard to tinker on cars there.

Old 05-01-2017, 03:26 PM
stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !
You misunderstood. Nobody is going to give a hooch what rods or head studs are installed. The op said he'd likely be selling in a few months and you said:
Originally Posted by 32krazy!
this would actually increase the value of the car when you decide to sell.
And I'm saying: that's unlikely, especially in Europe.

Old 05-01-2017, 06:14 PM
Super weak.

Old 05-01-2017, 06:42 PM
Steve is right.
And "only" 2000 dollars? It's a fair lump of cash, and totally useless when I have no intentions of passing 600 hp or even keeping it for much longer. At four years it's the Porsche I've owned the longest. Time to try something else.

Old 05-01-2017, 07:45 PM
i find it hard to believe that anyone buying a porsche even at 600 hp wouldnt see the advantage to having better rods and studs in the motor. especially seeing the road racing that goes on in europe having the ability to see all the torque available in a motor would be a huge advantage over a stock internals. but thats just my .02
Sure someone would enjoy having better internals, who doesn't enjoy something better if given the choice? But noone would pay even close to what it will cost me to install. Adding 2000 dollars worth of parts that have no value for me and that I would never get back when I sell the car is what? Totally pointless.

Old 05-01-2017, 09:46 PM
Originally Posted by Thklinge
Sure someone would enjoy having better internals, who doesn't enjoy something better if given the choice? But noone would pay even close to what it will cost me to install. Adding 2000 dollars worth of parts that have no value for me and that I would never get back when I sell the car is what? Totally pointless.
Irony that is what the last guy who built that motor thought!

Old 05-02-2017, 02:17 AM
Still true for him, he'd never get his 2 grand back if he upgraded the internals. Just too bad he didn't mount the o-rings properly.

Old 05-02-2017, 04:01 AM
If you knew the motor had those upgrades 4 yrs ago you wouldnt have paid a few thousand more?
No, when I bought the car I had no intentions of going to any power level that required upgraded internals. In fact I'd probably selected another car if I knew that this one had been in bits. Porsche does the building best, as clearly evidenced by the wrongly mounted liners in my car.

Old 05-02-2017, 11:19 AM
You all are not understanding: cars here generally aren't modified by diy'ers. Only tuners. And the Mezger motor is noted for being bulletproof in stock form. 996 and 7.1 turbos run up and down the Autobahns all day with no issues. So no one will pay extra for something that's not necessary in stock form. And if the motor is to be tuned, it'll be a tuner doing it.

As I said: (automotive) cultural difference.

And as an aside, I am skeptical that you'd be able to recoup even $2k on a sale in the US as well. If you find the right buyer and he trusts in what you say, maybe. But just look through the threads on this forum alone on whether or not buying a modified car is a good idea or not.

And as a final explanation: I am not in any way shape or form disputing the sensibility of rods in a tt motor that is going to be modified or the ROI. I am saying that you will likely not recoup your investment when the car is sold. This, btw is something that has also been discussed plenty of times here. Your ROI on modifications is the fun you have with the car. 9 times out of 10 you will not recover the $ investment, much less make a profit when the car is sold.

Last edited by stevemfr; 05-02-2017 at 11:26 AM.
Old 05-02-2017, 02:42 PM
Naw, don't think so. I've looked into numerous threads on this topic here and on RL. General consensus was never positive IIRC: modified cars are driven hard, modified cars are more prone to break, etc.

Funny thing is, I'm not even disagreeing with you on substance. If my motor was open I'd swap out the rods.

But I am disagreeing with you on recouping the investment from a buyer. Not going to happen. And I'll also disagree with you on the necessity of having this done on a completely stock motor even when driven at WOT for hours on end. I've driven enough and know enough others with 996TTs or 997.1TTs who drive regularly on the Autobahn and track days without any sorts of problems.

And I really don't understand how damaged liner O-rings would have been saved with upgraded rods or studs.

Last edited by stevemfr; 05-02-2017 at 02:44 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.